Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,
just received apigeon with injury in eye n beak she is flapping her wings.i just dipped her/his beak to water and put her in dark room.blood is ther but its not bleeding.we must act fast.pl help.
living in Oman i have no access to vets who know to treat birds.so pl have that in mind and suggest what i can do.
thank you n anxious for help.
regards,
Sarojini
UPDATE- eye swellling but eye is visble.baby making baby sound.poo watttery after one hour of rescue.beak looks ok inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
hi Sarojini, thanks for rescuing the pigeon. You can dip a cotton ball in warm saline water and clean the beak and eye. Do you have any antibiotic eye drops with you?

Did you witness the accident? The pigeon could have got hit elsewhere, like the head.

A bird under trauma will take some time to recover from the shock. For now, keep him warm and hydrated. Dip the beak (only the tip not the nostrils) in water and check if he/she is drinking. Otherwise, give him water using a dropper by very slowly dribbling it down the side of his beak. Take care that the baby should be alert, otherwise he can choke on the water.
What do you mean by watery poops - is it just clear water, or is it green and runny?

After 24 hours of keeping him warm and hydrated, you can try placing seeds in front of him. If he is a squeaking baby, you might need to hand feed him.
Wish you all the best in caring for the baby.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Awww the poor little guy. :( How is he doing? I'd keep him as warm and stress-free as possible at the moment, just to counteract ny shock from the injury. Darkly lit room, a little corner spot he won't be disturbed or afraid...give access to water and seed (wheat, milo, peas, safflower etc)...can he drink and eat on his own? vitamin b is for stress...is he bleeding from his injuries, or has the bleeding stopped?

If its stopped, once he calms down and starts being active, you can inspect him, see what happened, where he's hurt, and treat accordingly. For now (provided he isn't bleeding to death), I think its best to just let him get over the shock. From my experience, birds are easily sppoked and scared...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou for the reply.
the bird is able to open that eye.its swollen above the eye ball fortunately.as one of my friend said i gave metacam pain killer 0.01cc and dipped beak in to saline solution.bird drank water.
bird is now alert and i have left her alone.kept a few grains and water.is it ok to give saline or shall i keep only water?
bleeding has stopped.even beak looks ok n no visible injury to body.id di not witness the event.a friend got her to me.
regards,
sg

·
Registered
959 Posts
Good that you gave metacam. Hope you got the dosage right, it is 0.1-0.2 mg, once a day.
You can add a little pinch of salt and sugar to a glass of water, and give the bird this water. Or you can provide him ORS you get in medical stores.
Thank goodness his eye is good. Keep watch as to whether he is eating and pooping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi,
the baby bird has moved and dropped grain but im sure he/she is not eating.she did not poo too.i fed water ORS 3 times today and she drank.what should i do now.its 10 hours since i brought her home.i treid in aft to open mouth but was scared a drop of blood came not sure if water caused dried blood to come or what?
night what should i do? should i force feed few thawed peas or let her stay and give one more dose of painkiller? what about antibiotic?
reg,
SG

·
Registered
959 Posts
Even if she has no food for the first 24 hours, I don't think there is immediate danger.

Is she squeaking? If she is a baby, she might not be able to peck and eat the seeds yet, so you need to hand feed her.
In the first photo, there is a featherless spot on her throat. Not sure, but canker can cause loss of feathers in the neck area. Can you get a torchlight into her mouth and look for white or yellow deposits?
And the second photo...the bird does seem to be holding her head at an odd angle. Does she do this often?
You can give her peas or seeds. Peas are easy to give. Put defrosted peas in warm water until soft.. Wrap the pigeon in a towel so it can't move, and open the beak and give one pea at a time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You can give around 20 peas to start with, thrice a day (that is 60 peas in a day). Then you can increase gradually.
Before feeding, it is important to make sure that the crop is empty. The crop is a small bag-like pouch on the lower chest, you can feel it with your fingers beneath the feathers. If you have given peas, you can feel those peas when you touch the crop. So, before feeding, please make sure his crop is empty from the previous feeding. Otherwise, mixing of old food and new food in the crop can lead to other problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you !
but i gave only 7-8 peas tonight.she/he swallowed it well thou wanted to getout of my grip thrice.
let me check on cranker tomorrow.thank you for the timely help.
reg,
sg

·
Registered
959 Posts
Canker is not always visible in the mouth, it is just one of the possible signs. Does he have bad breath?
If he is eating and drinking well, and is alert and active, I think he is going to be fine.
You've done a great job!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi,
Baby looks OK.trued to feed 20 peas,ate it.yest has pooed only white colour. neck tilts at angle.no visible sign of cranker. did not squeak but tried to get out of grip.hair loss only on one side.my friend who rescued the pigeon saw it struggle after a car hit the baby.fed pain killer today too.
thank you.
SG

·
Registered
959 Posts
He should be pooping soon. Observe the poops for color and consistency. If brown-green and soft, they are normal poop.
The head tilt could be because of head trauma (his head could have got hit by the car). Maybe it hit one side of the head, and he is keeping that side down. Good that you are giving the painkiller.
Or it could be infections like PMV causing the neck twisting. But I wouldn't jump to PMV now.
Is he standing and looking around? Alert and preening his feathers occasionally? Or is he sitting with dull eyes and ruffled feathers?
If head trauma is suspected, it is best to give him a quiet and semi-dark place to rest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE-FED baby 21 peas around 7 moring.after 12 this afternoon the baby has removed 7 peas and am worried.
:(
Do i feed now?
baby is moving around bath area little and is aware of my entry .she/he is awake but not moving much.can see poo at 3-4 places and normal white and green color.

reg,
sg

·
Registered
959 Posts
Are the poops soft and rounded, if they are, they are good poops.

Did he vomit soon after the feeding?
Feel for his crop. If it still has the peas say 5-6 hours after the previous feeding, it is not a good sign. On the other hand, if it is emptying and poops are forming, things are fine.

As I said, feed him only after the crop has emptied fully. If peas don't suit him, you can try seeds. Put 3-4 seeds (2-3 if they are big seeds) inside the beak and close the mouth to swallow. Give about a tablespoon of seeds in a feeding, to start with. Give 3 feedings - i.e. 3 tablespoons in a day. All this is provided his crop is emptying properly.

I also suggest starting him on metronidazole for canker, just in case.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Another thought - I was thinking - would the bathroom floor be too cold for him? Sick pigeons cannot regulate their body heat, so they need good amount of warmth to get better soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE-
TOday the baby moved a bit. i fed around 10 corn in the morning ,10 corn by afternoon along with around 5ml baby food.at night again i gave around 10 peas.what i found is that the baby is bleeding and i guess the lower beak is broken.so when i feed i have to hold her carefully.Can something be done about the beak?
i suspect vision problems too.Baby is alert and up but not much movement.
Request advise on what to do next/
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hope the baby is eating, drinking and pooping fine. As long as you get 15-20 poops in a day, he is eating enough.

I found these sites for the beak fracture, hope they are of some help:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-treat-broken-cracked-bird-beaks-6006908.html

http://www.avianweb.com/brokenbeaks.html

What I understood is, based on the severity of the break, it may heal on its own if left alone, or many need bandaging. I suggest you take care not to put pressure on the beak, and give soft food for now.
Thanks a lot for caring for him.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good morning!
The baby's beak stopped bleeding fro yesterday.i too learnt to avoid touching the front part of beak where there is injury,so did the baby now adjust to my feeding him/her.
Baby seldom moves around and is stuck to the bath area on the room. i am not sure but i suspect abit of vision problem.
his poo is OK.
Thank you for timely advise.
regards,
SG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts