Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rescued an abandoned baby pigeon at about 5 days old, he is now about 26 days old. He started walking about a week ago but a few days ago he hurt his leg and started to hobble. It has now got worse and he is dragging it behind him. He has also gone off food. It doesn't feel broken and he has still got some movement in it but cant put weight on it. Can anyone help with helping him? He has become loved and part of the family and we don't want to loose him!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
How did it hurt it? Can you post any pictures?
Is there any wound, infection, broken toe?
Try gently to masage it and see if there is any reaction, pain.
Maybe visit to the Vet will be prudent in this case.
Please post more info!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
See photo. We just noticed it getting worse, no particular incident that we are aware of. No cuts or infection etc. He does sometimes 'flinch' when you move it leg for him but not always. He is very comfortable with us holding him so lets us feel his leg no problem.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Ok this is not broken, it is called splayed leg. It needs hooble to keeps legs together.
It is correctable don't worry. Im sending you more info about it. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you - we will give it a go. We will try the sponge method as we dont have the other things in the house already and see how that goes.

Can you give me more info as to what to keep him on please? He has been on towels and kitchen roll up to now.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Was his leg sticking out when he started to walk? Splay or spread leg isn't a condition that develops suddenly when they are already walking it happens in the nest, either because a smooth surface causes the leg to slide, or when there is only one baby in the nest.

Can you let us know where you are? There might be an avian vet near by that can have a look at it.

This is a link to details of my Gonzo, she was quite old when I found her (ideally correction should take place at 10 days or so before the bones and joints have set), the splay was corrected but there is some stiffness that makes her waddle.
http://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/pigeon-and-dove-illnesses-injuries-their-symptoms-and-treatment-f11/correcting-splayed-legs-t22.htm

Cynthia

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He was walking OK for a day or so and then he progressively got worse over a couple of days. At first he was just not putting any weight on it and hobbling around and today he seems to be dragging is around. As both you and plamenh has said its probably because we dont have him on the right surface. He is also on his own. We made him a nest out of clothes etc but when he started walking he was walking in towels and kitchen roll. Im not sure what surface to put him on; any ideas? He is in the living room at the moment!!!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
A concave nesting bowl, or bowl that keeps his legs correctly folded under him will help.

Any rubbermaid type of material is non-skid and will keep his feet under him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you mentioned that he's 'gone off food.' is he back to normal now? if not, could you handfeed him defrosted corns and peas (40-50, 3 times a day) or maybe give him kaytee exact through a syringe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
wind some rope (i used hay twine as it was what i had an exxess of at the time) into a ring and cover it with a soft changeble fabric (a sock with a hole cut in the end) place him jently so that he rests on it rith his feet under him make to change the fabreic 2-3 times a day as it getss quite messy best to make two rings so he can be changed into the new ring when its changing time and the other can be washed i had to bath my dove in warm water daily when she was a baby as the mess was sticking to her backside but otherwise it helped her grow into a happy helthy dove she was quite happy sitting in her "nest" althow she dose still limp on accashion i think her leg may have been brokenb and has healed funny (we dont have a small animel vet on my island)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts