Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Plse don't give him any more metro for the day. I told you to give the nystatin on an empty crop, wait an hour and then feed him. You are gambling with this baby's life and you will lose him if you don't follow the instructions.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Don't give him the flucanozole. Your overdosing him. He does not need that, the pharmacist don't know about pigeons. How much did you give? You don't know the dosage.

If he doesn't want to drink water, don't force gim.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Don't give him the flucanozole. Your overdosing him. He does not need that, the pharmacist don't know about pigeons. How much did you give? You don't know the dosage.

If he doesn't want to drink water, don't force gim.
I havent given it any flucanozole. I havent started with Nystatin yet, as you mentioned to start next morning, and on an empty stomach.

Now the metro..
- First dose : I gave it roughly around 25mg metro At 7:30pm in the evening.

- As the crop was full, I did not give any peas, I gave it apple sauce with warm water at around 12am.. and put it to sleep.

- morning 5am it had pooped a little, and crop was not completely empty.. (I read to give metro twice a day somewhere on these forums). So gave it another 30mg roughly at 5am

- By 8:30 am it had pooped a lott. The crop felt 80% empty as I messaged. Then I fed it about 30 peas at about 9am.
Now the second feed was at 4:00 pm with 37 peas as the crop seemed empty.

Now I thinking to not feed it tonight, and no more metro.
Instead Apple sauce with warm water ?
and start nystatin tomorrow morning say at about 6am. Wait an hour then feed? or metro ?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ok so from tomorrow morning: Give Nystatin, wait an hour and then feed peas. Then give him the metro. Then in evening: Nystatin, wait an hour an then feed peas.

If the crop is empty over lunchtime: feed him peas. So 3 meals during the day, 2 doses Nystatin and only 1 dose metro.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You can also rather dip a few peas in the applepuree (mixed with a bit of warm water) and feed to him. Will be a bit messy.

Yellow droppings is not a good sign. I hope he survives.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I sort of force-fed it with 10-12 soft small baby peas.. dipped in apple puree and warm water.
It completely rebelled after 8 peas.. and i didnt wanna force further.

It doesnt drink water at all, hates it completely. It definitely has a respiratory block. as it gulps water it sneezes showering water all over. So didnt force it much.

It now poops tiny pea-sized pellets.. mostly Solid dark green with a very small mustard yellowish base. Mostly solid paste.
I read online - Yellow is sign of either AdenoVirus type-1 infection, or Liver Damage. Im not sure how do I treat or support that.

For now ill stick to what you have mentioned.

Update on Canker in mouth - its definitely grown.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/7be4271237993054

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I want to take a moment to Thank you whole-heartedly for all your support and guidance.

Thankyou!

I feel sorry for the baby, I honestly do.
I sometimes wonder.. had I not disrupted its environment by cleaning the nest.. It would not have been in this position now. Probably would be happy and lively with its mother.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I really don't mind helping. I learned so much on this forum and it's only a pleasure sharing with new members. Canker affects the liver, thats why the urates can be yellowish.

The best for now will be to keep him warm for the night. Start again tomorrow with the treatment. Sounds like he breathed in water. If the nostrils are under water and he breathes, then he will sneezes. Never ever dip the beak so deep into water that the nostrils are covered. That's what I told you. Remember he is young, doesn't know how to drink.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
> 11:30am Last Night I didnt feed it anymore.
I gave it Apple puree with warm water by syringe.. forced it.. and put it to sleep. It was very drowsy.

> I woke up at about 6:45am, the the bird was up before me.
FOR THE FIRST TIME It was standing on its feet looking outside the box waiting for someone to come.
It had pooped a LOTTT! All white and greyish brown matter.
I think the bird was severely dehydrated! Thats why thick sticky lumps of green poop. So.. only way to feed it water is by syringe.

Its lost a lot of weight, I can see the thing that pulses in its neck now.

> (Question : Should a bird be given any salt, for body to retain water?)

> 7:30 I gave it nystatin (0,3ml), drop by drop on its tongue.. as it would not stay still at all and went for shower breakfast.
usually the bird just goes back to sleep in the corner. But when I returned today.. it was up still on its feet.. and flapping its wings and at the portion of the box which was getting direct sunlight .. wanted to be taken out of the box. And no.. its not cold inside.. its about 33*C With direct sunlight it gets very hot.. like 40+.

> 8:30 I gave it water, 30 -32 peas.. and it sat down in the corner as usual. lifeless.. But as soon as some direct sunlight got on it.. it was up.. and moving around and flapping its wings. By 9 I noticed this.. and left it out in the balcony.. alone When i returned after 30 mins.. it was trying to pluck a Straw. Still up.. still wanting to be out..

> by 10 It was time for metro. I didnt want to give metro. I didnt want it to be lifeless again. But I thought of relapse.. and missing a dose and all those bad things.. especially the canker.. and eventually gave it about 30mg of metro.

Im hoping metro doesnt make it back into joyless creature from yesterday.
God Help and have mercy on this baby

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I'm positive he has canker, those missing feathers under the beak is also 1 of the symtoms.

No need for salt. No water by syringe, he can aspirate. Rather concentrate on getting him to drink. Put the bowl in front of him and stir the water with your fingers. Put a drop on your finger and hold this next to his beak. He will eventually have to learn to drink. The sooner the better.

When they have canker, they are always thirsty. Give the metro, don't skip a dose. Give until those yellow growths are gone. Keep on giving Nystatin.

Don't leave him outside, he is vulnerable out there. Might get attacked by other pigeons.

Canker makes them feel nauseous, that's maybe why he looks depressed after feeding. But you need to feed him and give the meds, all will be good for him at the end of the day. Glad he is still alive!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
1:45pm.. woke it up from sleep. It had pooped a Lot. Mostly Green Mushy matter with White surrounding matter. Seemed like white urates maybe. But whenever Ive given it metro.. poops have some white urates sort of thing. Lots of clear liquid.

Gave it water. It fell Asleep while sipping, maybe 2-3 times.

Fed it will 25-30 Peas.. didnt count.. it couldnt eat anymore.. Ensured it sipped water constantly. Didnt rush with the peas. Took my time feeding it. I didnt want it to throw up or feel uncomfortable. So far so good.

Pooped twice while eating. Liquid with mushy peas.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/f7147d1238740934

Again drowsy and lifeless. I feel metro is too strong for it. It was Alive and peppy in the morning. Held its neck High Up.. straight.. on its feet. Then metro changed everything.

I think Metro is too strong for it.
Should I start with ACV as you mentioned in an earlier post ?
I have some organic ACV from before.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Has he started drinking by himself? Is so, then you can add the acv. Remember, 5 ml to 1 l water. White urates is a good sign, a healthy pigeon produces white urates.

Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Has he started drinking by himself?
Not really..
I made the 2.5ml/500ml ACV water in a bowl, and held it near it, made him dip his beak about 20 times or so.. and it sipped a little. It took me about 15mins for it to have 1TSP of ACV-Water.

> Another thing.
After the second feed, it slpet for about 30mins, then was restless. Wouldnt stop moving in the box. The room made non-stop rustling sounds.. so i put junior out of the box.
It kept moving on the floor near to the window.. so i eventually put him back in the box, and put the box in the balcony.
It finally stopped moving. It was sitting in the box with eyes wide open.. and grooming non-stop.
It doesnt like to be indoors at all.

> Junior recognises its mother/father. Our champion can squeak .. pretty loud when its mom/dad approached.. but I think because of the odour or maybe because of me.. mom/dad do not come too close.
I know its the parent as it does not squeak to any other pigeon that visits the balcony (yes there are about 8-10 that come regularly).

>> Poops: have been 90% Solid chunky dark green paste with 10% solid off-white yogurt paste like stuff.

Overall, its been completely active, awake and relaxed out in the balcony.

> In about an hour I will give it the next dose of Nystatin and feed an hour after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.
Its approx 25-35mg. Its a 500 MG Tablet.. So I divided it to the 16th part. But after 8 parts it becomes very difficult to divide furter.. so .. approx 25-35mg.

meditrich.. im trying to source. Its difficult in this part of the world.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Sounds good, grooming is always a good sign. Don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. If he did drank a little bit, he will in future if necessary.

Plse don't leave him on the balcony unsupervised. The other pigeons might attack him and even kill him. The parents won't recognize him anymore. Don't you have a cage where you can put him in? Where are you from btw?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sounds good, grooming is always a good sign. Don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. If he did drank a little bit, he will in future if necessary.

Plse don't leave him on the balcony unsupervised. The other pigeons might attack him and even kill him. The parents won't recognize him anymore. Don't you have a cage where you can put him in? Where are you from btw?
The parent Did. Many pigeons come and go, but this one is sitting around, still. It tried to feed Junior. And this baby isnt squeaking to anyone else.

Im in Abu Dhabi.
I do not have a cage.. and I havent checked for one so far. Most of the Pet Product Shops are in Dubai.. which is about 5-6 hrs too & fro driving distance.
I would make that drive, but I need to keep a check on junior .. Cannot leave him alone for too long.
Also I didnt plan on getting a pet. This one had sheer bad luck and needed some help.

Since I have a few days off.. im tring my best to take care.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.

Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.

Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.
The thing about this country is..
Now, Its next to impossible to get meds without prescription.
Even the meds for pets need a prescription. Plus they have banned Meds manufactured abroad. Meds avl in pharmacy are now made by gulf Pharmaceutical co. or UK or Germany.

Meds imported from abroad definitely need prescription. Im not sure if anti-biotics will be allowed. If they are.. then I will need to proof a Pet License.
Its strict here.
Plus, the courier will take atleast 4-5 days.

Even this Metro 500mg Ive acquired with great difficulty, without prescription. And they did not have any other metro (with lower power)
Ive checked with pet Supply stores and very few are allowed to stock meds, especially for birds. and they require prescription. So Ill attempt once the holidays are over, and some of these store open.
Most of Pet Meds are usually with Vets who ask for a license to own a pet. They do not entertain stray Birds and animals like Junior ( from my second post, I was discouraged by 3 vets).

This country is not friendly for stray animals and birds.

Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.
Im not going to allow that until Junior gets recovers completely.
But at some point I intend to let it fly away in the wild, once its completely better.

Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.
Ive got some free time tomorrow.. Ill try to make something.

Im trying to source meditrich as well.. lets hope I get it asap.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ok then, at least you have metro to treat him with. To me it sounds as if he is getting better. It usually takes 3 days for the meds to start working, sometimes longer.

You can check the growths inside his mouth again tomorrow.

Once he has recovered, you can do a soft release. Will talk about that later.

You are lucky, I also have some free time at the moment. That's why the answers are so quick.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Was just wondering. How are you giving the metro? A solid 30 mg piece? Then its fine.

But if you crush the metro and put this inside a pea, then it might not get absorbed so well. So rather go for the first option.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts