Pigeon-Talk banner
141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Update

Hi,
I came across some post where a Parrot had a similar issue. So some Vet recommended [Dexamethasone 1mg with Gentamycin Sulphate 5mg] eye drops for the Parrot.

I found the same with local pharmacy, and applied One drop in Junior's eye. It protested, im sure it caused some discomfort. So I left it alone.

After 3 hours or so, The swelling of eye-lid had reduced by 70%. Both its eyes were wide open. Have applied a drop again now.. I want this to completely remove the inflammation of eye-lid. So I can fly it off.

It hates being inside now. Im pretty sure it considers me evil now. So I hope this inflammation is gone by tomorrow, so I can see it off.

If the nails are too long and sharp you could start to file them with a nail file.

It's also possible to trim them but it's needed a little experience because it's easy to start a bleeding (especially if the nails are black).
Yes the nails are long, and very very sharp. Its scratched both my shoulders and neck and feet. Some of them did bleed a little.

Yes the nails are completely black. and I have no experience in filing/trimming nails. So Ill leave it be.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi,
I came across some post where a Parrot had a similar issue. So some Vet recommended [Dexamethasone 1mg with Gentamycin Sulphate 5mg] eye drops for the Parrot.

I found the same with local pharmacy, and applied One drop in Junior's eye. It protested, im sure it caused some discomfort. So I left it alone.

After 3 hours or so, The swelling of eye-lid had reduced by 70%. Both its eyes were wide open. Have applied a drop again now.. I want this to completely remove the inflammation of eye-lid. So I can fly it off.

It hates being inside now. Im pretty sure it considers me evil now. So I hope this inflammation is gone by tomorrow, so I can see it off.

Yes the nails are long, and very very sharp. Its scratched both my shoulders and neck and feet. Some of them did bleed a little.

Yes the nails are completely black. and I have no experience in filing/trimming nails. So Ill leave it be.

A way to medicate and examine his eyes, is you can roll him in a towel, like a burrito. A thicker towel works best, hold his wings down with both hands, lay him on the towel one wing down on his side keeping your hand on the other and start rolling, turn up the bottom of the towel toward his head, and complete the rolling up, nice and snug, fold down the edge where is head is to get to his eyes to medicate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Update

I let Junior Fly-Off.
It definitely was not very happy in-doors any more. The moment I opened the window, and took it to the balcony, it flew off.

Lets hope he stays strong and healthy!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would have given the eye drops for a week before releasing. It doesn't really cause him any discomfort, and can actually soothe the eye.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I would have given the eye drops for a week before releasing. It doesn't really cause him any discomfort, and can actually soothe the eye.
I had decided to use the eye-drops for about 4 days, and keep him inside for about a week, till I was satisfied hes fine.
But Like Marina said earlier, as he grows he will become wary of me (or humans), thats precisely what happened.

He got extremely uncomfortable when i lifted him, or touched him. Started Biting my fingers instead of pecking it lightly like he did a few weeks earlier..

Im for certain he hated being indoors. Coz the moment I took him outside, he flew away.. didnt bother about food nor water..

I know he visits me. I know he eats the seeds left in the bowl under the desk, as the seeds left outside are usually completely wiped out by other pigeons bigger and stronger to him.

At this point I believe hes like a rebellious teenager. And its okay.. as long as hes Happy, Healthy and Safe.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts