Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby pigeon is about 20 days old and doesn't have all his feathers yet. I feed him every five hours 12cc's of food in a syringe and ensure his crop is full.

He is on my lap screeching and biting me. His bites and pecks hurt. I did not sign up for an aggressive animal and to me this is a preview of what is to come when he is an adult. I don't know if my bird is male or female.

He will peck my hands even though I keep them away from him and peck my forearms. I have him out of the cage to socialize him. Could this be why he is getting angry because he feels safer in his cage?

What is wrong with this baby bird? Brain damage from falling out of the nest or just an aggressive bird? Here he is attacking my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He is just a baby, and is not biting you to be mean or aggressive. He probably wants you to feed him. A baby that size can't possibly hurt when he bites. They do that when they are looking for food. 12 cc is not enough for a feeding for a 3 week old pigeon. He is probably hungry.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would at this point, start with the 20 and work up to the 30, as he is not used to it.
I did post amounts to give in your last post almost 2 weeks ago. Why have you not increased the amounts?
That is why he is biting, to get you to feed him. Poor thing.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Poor lil guy is not being aggressive he's just trying to tell you he's hungry. My three adult feral males REALLY bite me at times and hang on too but I wouldn't say it's particularly painful so can't see how this little one hurts.
Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the bird at all but with you for not understanding anything about them, if you call that aggression from a tiny baby pigeon.
Do some research or find someone who knows what they're doing with birds. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
fallblossom, we are not trying to pick on you. We really aren't. But you are starving him by not giving him enough to fill himself up. He is hungry. A baby pigeon cannot be aggressive. He is a baby. Why did you not increase the amount you feed? If you under feed, he cannot thrive and grow. If you don't give more, he won't grow any bigger. I know you don't want to over feed, but you cannot stay at the same amount that you were giving a week ago. That amount is what a week old should be getting. At 2 weeks they get more, and at 3 weeks they get more again. If you feed him just enough for a week old baby, then he cannot grow. And you can't say a baby is being aggressive. He is just looking to be fed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Did this poster even read what we posted? She could have come back on to let us know how it is going. Some people just get mad when you try to tell them they are doing something incorrectly. We did spend a great deal of time trying to help her. I think she owes us that much. I feel badly for the baby bird who is being so misunderstood.
He cannot go elsewhere for food, and depends on this one person to feed and care for him. The poster isn't listening to what he is trying to tell her. He is hungry. So for that she wants to get rid of him. That's really sad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did this poster even read what we posted? She could have come back on to let us know how it is going. Some people just get mad when you try to tell them they are doing something incorrectly. We did spend a great deal of time trying to help her. I think she owes us that much. I feel badly for the baby bird who is being so misunderstood.
He cannot go elsewhere for food, and depends on this one person to feed and care for him. The poster isn't listening to what he is trying to tell her. He is hungry. So for that she wants to get rid of him. That's really sad.
Jay3, no offense when there is a new poster on the forum, if we lynch mob them and make them feel like a moron, most people will just never come back again. You do this a lot and you did this to me in the past while you gave me some solid advice before, which I am grateful for.

I cant hate any of you because we all love pigeons. But sometimes it really gets annoying when a person is here for help and you just attack them and tell them what they SHOULD HAVE done, or accuse them WHY DID YOU NOT DO THAT?? which translates to, ARE YOU A MORON??

There are only a handful number of people that actually like pigeons and it would be better of for the pigeons sake to not piss anyone off that are leaning towards helping or supporting pigeons especially when they are new and want to find out what they can do to help a bird.

Again, no offence to you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Jay3, no offense when there is a new poster on the forum, if we lynch mob them and make them feel like a moron, most people will just never come back again. You do this a lot and you did this to me in the past while you gave me some solid advice before, which I am grateful for.

I don't see that as a lynch mob. Everyone came in with an opinion. We did spend a lot of time with this person about the care of this baby. She didn't listen, no matter of many different times we tried to explain about the feeding of the bird. Then she comes on and is mad at the baby for being aggressive, which it in no way was. I think that just made everyone frustrated, and feeling defensive for the poor baby who had done nothing wrong.

I cant hate any of you because we all love pigeons. But sometimes it really gets annoying when a person is here for help and you just attack them and tell them what they SHOULD HAVE done, or accuse them WHY DID YOU NOT DO THAT?? which translates to, ARE YOU A MORON??

When you take the time to go over something many times, and explain, and go dig up links to help them, and keep telling someone the same things, and then they come on and say this starving baby is being aggressive and mean, then I think someone who has done all that does have the right, and good reason, to say that they SHOULD HAVE done what you tried to explain to do, and to ask the question WHY DID YOU NOT DO THAT. Especially when that is the reason for what they saw as bad behavior on the part of a baby pigeon, who doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Had they followed the advice, and listened to what we tried to tell her, then the poor baby would not be fighting to be fed. Sometimes people are ridiculous. They come on asking for help, you and others try to advise, and they do just the opposite anyway, because they think they know better. Then they come back upset about not getting the results they wanted. And even blaming a poor starving baby. Sometimes we just run out of patience. When something is happening because they didn't listen and feed the poor thing enough to grow and be healthy, then they are causing the problem. Not the bird. Why wouldn't I ask WHY DIDN'T YOU FEED HIM MORE AS YOU WERE ADVISED? I think that would be a pretty normal question. If that makes you feel like a moron, then maybe you should rethink what you are doing.

There are only a handful number of people that actually like pigeons and it would be better of for the pigeons sake to not piss anyone off that are leaning towards helping or supporting pigeons especially when they are new and want to find out what they can do to help a bird.

If telling someone that a starving baby bird is not being aggressive or mean, and that the behavior is their fault for not giving him enough food to grow and thrive on, even though they have been told that is what the baby needs, if you think that is wrong, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
I am more concerned about the baby being left hungry all the time, then getting blamed for being aggressive, then I am about not pissing someone off.

Again, no offence to you.
No offense taken. I care about the welfare of any animal. And can't worry about whether or not someone is going to take offense at the truth.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Hope the little guy is being fed. We all need to stick together because we do care about pigeons. Sadly not everyone who asks for help here is on the same page or listens to suggestions. Wish the OP would respond and let us know how the bird is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.