Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have new birds hatched last week.One egg was fine but the baby in the other egg was struggling to get out of egg for more than 36 hours so I helped him coming out of the shell.As per my observation the baby was not fully developed.Now the problem is the baby is not growing at all.From last 4 dyas it is only 5cm in length.His/her parents are feeding the baby but it is now 1/4 the size of its nestmate.Babies umbical cord was also not clearly cut from the base of its body.Please help....I will post the pics if needed.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
take him in, put him on heat 90 f, and hand feed him. if you need help with the feeding we have a resource section on this site. or just ask, not sure what handfeeding formulas you have in Aussie land but with all the parrots you all have Im sure there is one or two. the little one may not make it because of genetic reasons, but at least you tried.. you could also feed him right in the nest if he is not being pushed around too much and is being kept warm..but he may need warmth longer than his sibling..the parents stop sitting on them as much at about a week to 12 days of age..so that may be a problem for him if he is under developed..so you may as well bring him in.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I believe PASSWELLS hand rearing food is available in most states and quite a few pet shops sell it along with fodder stores , the instructions are on the box and easy to follow . The front of the box has 3 baby parrots on the front , it comes in quite a few sizes ,it's loaded with everything a baby requires and smells nice as you make it up .

Good luck and hope the youngster makes it !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get the formula but the real problem is stopped growth.When ever i check the little one he is alwas having food given by the parents.The real problem is it is not getting digested.I am attaching the pics for you reference.Can i give him garlic water ot some medicine like amofloxin etc or some growth formula made for children.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
what happened to the little one? I have the exact same situation here. The big one now has black feathers coming in and the little one is tiny. Do you know why this happened? did your little one grow?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This is called size difference which develops either because one hatches out a day or two earlier than the other or one squab being more active than the other.
As a precautionary measure we must pull the first egg out when its laid and put a fake egg in its place until the second egg is laid. When the second egg is laid the first shall be put back in the nest so that incubation of both eggs occur at the same time and hence the difference between hatching time of the eggs can be minimised to avoid size difference which leads to the problem you have.
But now when size difference has occurred to your squabs you can pull out the bigger squab until the smaller one gets his share fed. When he's full you can place the bigger one back into nest. You can also give supplementary feed to the smaller squab so he catches up in development with his bigger sibling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts