Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi me again: The baby pigeon is now 14 days old and eating and and acting fine until today when I noticed heavy and fast breathing. Wondering if he or she has aspirated some of his or her formula? Hear some noises when breathing and has a few sneezes here and there. Should take to vets? I have baytril on hand. Also just starting to get his feathers all pin feathers now with little tuff of yellow on head. How hot should I keep it for him. I have heating pad on low should it be on med or high? When I pick up the babe it seems hot feeling. But I notice no open mouth breathing or anything. I have been up for nights with this babe a wreck I am. Just want it to survive and do not want to be the reason it does not. This is my first pigeon baby. I am feeding every three hours and twice during the night. Like at 2 am and 4 am. As much info as possible would be appreciated. This little one has fought so hard to live and I really have given my all but will give or do anything I can for its survival. I guess I should have crop fed instead of used the syringe method. I tried a few ways and it likes the dixie cup with hole in the side the best. Thanks for info. Beth

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear that your little one is having some difficulties.

At two weeks of age he should be fine at 85-90 degrees, no need to put the pad on medium or high, I believe this would be way too warm for him. At two weeks they can get around a bit and you should have it set up that the pad is covered with a towel, doubled over, and there is enough space for him to make his way off of it if he feels he is too warm. They are supposed to feel warm, a pigeons normal body temperature is considerably higher than ours, 106-108 degrees, so to the touch they do indeed feel quite warm, just make sure, as I suggested, he can control how warm he wants to be by being able to move to or from the heat source.

Here is a link for feeding instructions, in case you have not seen it:

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Recipes/handfeedinghelp.htm

At two weeks he does not need to be feed through the night as you are doing, every 6-8 hours, or as his crop becomes empty should be fine as the link states. Are you doing this because your method of feeding you feel is not getting enough into him at any given feeding?

The one thing I do know is that any time there are breathing noises with rattles, pops, and so on with, and especially with any open mouth breathing going on, you need to get a bird to a vets ASAP. The sneezes do not overly concern me, as many things can make them sneeze, but something to keep an eye on. I have not heard of too many cases where things turned out well once there where issues with breathing, especially with one so young without immediate professional attention.

Others I am sure will be adding their input. Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree with every thing Karyn has told you. if the baby is feathered, you don't need the heating pad any longer unless it is freezing cold.
Again, you don't need to feed during the night. It is CRITICAL that you only feed once the crop has emptied...adding new food to old food can cause a bacterial infection and make the baby very sick.
Listen to the baby's breathing by putting your ear to his back. If you hear crackling the baby could have pneumonia. We do have a long weekend coming up and many vet clinics will be closed and so if you have any worries about this baby's health, you should take him in ASAP. I'd hold off on the baytril until then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone I am very glad to be with you,

I dont know if I am free to ask question under someone post. My two baby French Mondian pigeon. Wr not properly feeds by the parents, so I decided to help them through hand feeding. Just two days after I started to help them, I noticed that the other baby is having abnormal breathing ( Rapid breathing) it's breathing so quickly, and it's appearing to be like it's cold. Please is there any recommendations I can have from u guys? Because I have no access to vet.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
How old are they now? What and how are you feeding them? If you forced food into their beaks, then he might have aspirated. Is he open mouth breathing? Keep him warm on a hotwaterbottle covered with a blanket and him on top. There are plenty of videos on youtube how to feed a baby pigeon. Just type "how to feed baby pigeon" in the search section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They are 3 weeks old (21) days, is not mouth open breathing, but it's breathing very fast. It's not breathing as the same way with the other one or the rest of the chicks in the loft.

I used my natural hand to open the mouth and feed them, concerning worming it, we are currently in hit weather condition, the weather is getting hot at around 11: am to 5:pm.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Maybe he is just overheating. If he starts panting with the beak open, then he is too warm. If he aspirated and does open mouth breathing, then he will be struggling to breath.

Rather handfeed defrosted green peas, one at a time. Much safer and as peas contain a lot of moisture they don't really need water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's just a shallow breathing,

again in my loft I noticed some green droppings, at least two birds are not normal they remain standing and eyes closed.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You will need to seperate the sick pigeons, diseases are very contageous. Can you post a photo of the droppings?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Do you treat for worms, coccidiosis? If there's no improvement, will you be able to get antibiotics from a pharmacy? Betamox (500 mg amoxycillin) will treat infections. You will need to empty the capsule and divide the powder into 4 heaps of 125 mg and then each heap into 3 parts. That will give you 40 mg heaps. For each pigeon you can give 2 heaps of 40 mg daily, one in the morning and another in the evening. Best way to give is to moist a small piece of bread, cover with the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Give for a week and see if there's an improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am highly grateful, I gave them peparazine just couple of weeks back.

Do you mean human Amoxicillin?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can give human meds to pigeons. Metronidazole is another human med that might come in handy in case there's canker in your loft.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can also do some online reading regarding pigeon diseases, so that you will know what symptoms to look out for. Canker is also a very common disease and can be treated with 50 mg metronidazole for an adult pigeon once a day for 7 to 10 days.

Do you put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water on a regular basis? 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Put this down as their drinking water for the day twice a week. It keeps the good gut bacteria in place and helps with digestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks a lot, its really helpful.
Regarding the Betamox ( Amoxicillin) what is the dose for a baby pigeon 2-3 weeks old

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
12 mg amoxy per 100 gr birdweight. Is there any chance you can weigh him on a digital scale? Maybe at the pharmacy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not necessary, but will try.

One more question please, what is the normal range of feeding a baby pigeon regarding their food sack I mean the crop, must it be fully or atleast halfway (average)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can fill to 3/4. It should also fully empty at least once a day (overnight). For a baby that age, one should feed at least 90 defrosted green peas per day, split into 3 feedings of 30 each. If digestion is slow, one can feed warmed up baby unsweetened applesauce (the ones that you can buy at a supermarket for human babies). This will help with digestion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts