Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had found two abandoned baby pigeons a week ago only a couple of days old and i had been feeding them with a plastic bag. One of them always gulped down the food and the other always tries to pull his beak out. Yesterday the better eater chocked while i was feeding him! Today i was feeding the other one and he started almost acting like he was choking. Twisting his head around and opening his beak but not as much as the other. After that i stoped feeding him and put him back. I checked ln him 5 mins later and he seemed fine. I just checked on him and he felt cold but the heat pad was on and he wasnt as lively and his crop looked much more full than i had filled it. What is wrong with him? Will he be ok

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
How were they abandoned, do you have any history on them?

Babies that age need parents to feed them if at all possible.

What are you feeding them? You did not give much information.

Baby pigeons that age require a thin baby bird formula and you must follow instructions carefully, they do not eat much when they are that small.

They may have aspirated or choked and gotten some air in their lungs.

Here is a wonderful link on caring for baby pigeons: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Post pics, are you over feeding, wrong temperature can cause crop stasis, they could have canker. Keep them warm, if THEY are cold can stop up the crop. Allow crop to empty overnight. Also put a drop or two of apple cider vinegar in their hand feeding formula for digestion. A video would be better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On of the pigeons in my feral flock had babies a couple of days ago and wasnt sitting on them anymore and they weren't moving at all. I felt them and they were freezing. So i took them home. I feed them as much as i can the one that died would eat untill his crop was almost full. The other only lets me fill it alittle more than halfway full or so it looks like. I feed them kaytee exact formula. It might be a little thick. What is the correct temperature for them? His crop is verry full now it feels like its air.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
On of the pigeons in my feral flock had babies a couple of days ago and wasnt sitting on them anymore and they weren't moving at all. I felt them and they were freezing. So i took them home. I feed them as much as i can the one that died would eat untill his crop was almost full. The other only lets me fill it alittle more than halfway full or so it looks like. I feed them kaytee exact formula. It might be a little thick. What is the correct temperature for them? His crop is verry full now it feels like its air.
There should be instructions of packet and no more than 105 degrees is fine. I use an instant read thermometer to check. Or put some on your wrist, you want it hot but not burning or you get crop burns that require surgery, too cold and you get sick and dying birds.

Do not microwave the formula, it will have hot spots. I would but a small dish of formula into a bigger dish of hot water to keep it warm for the time you feed. Also keep baby warm, if u feed warm food and baby is cold can still get sour crop. A little thick at this age is too thick, mix the ratio they say for this age with is watery if memory serves, like 75 to 80% water, thicken a bit when older.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts