Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, had a baby pigeon hatch around 20 days back. There were some initial problems shortly before the hatching (don't know if it is relevant to the topic question, but Ill write it anyway) - basically the egg shell had a tiny crack 2 days prior to its hatching date (probably calcium deficiency in the mother pigeon?), and there were ants which went right in through the crack looking for food...! The other egg had been discarded by the parents a few days back due to a similar problem. However I was able to save this one by putting a small piece of transparent tape to cover the crack after making sure there weren't any ants inside the egg. The baby hatched fine after that.

Anyway, over to the current problem - a few days back the pigeon fell from a height of two feet and landed on hard ground. Picked it up as soon as I noticed it lying upside down on the ground. Noticed that it could not walk properly after that (was doing baby steps just fine before). Right leg seemed to be very weak, and it was trying to lift itself up with the left leg. Right wing was kind of droopy too...

Fast forward to present - the condition has not got any better - dare I say worse. Right wing is quite droopy, and pigeon still cannot use its left leg - noticed that the part below the knee and ankle (not the joints) was swelled up quite a bit on this particular leg. Dont think it is splayed legs cause the leg positions look more or less fine to me. On top of it the baby seems to have greenish poops. What do I do...? If its a bone fracture how do I fix it?

Please help!
DM

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are the parents getting enough calcium?

Have the parents been innoculated for paratyphoid?

I would administer some liquid calcium to start, and take the youngster to a pigeon friendly avian vet.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, if you can get it to a vet, that is the best course. It's likely a break or fracture, certainly of the leg and maybe (hopefully NOT) somehwere on the wing, too.

Also, such damage can cause bone infections to set in. So, sounds to me like the lil' fella needs an exam, antibiotics, and some painkiller/anti-inflammatories...as well as some patching up....SOON..... as in ASAP.

DM...where are you located ? 'Fortfun2'...that's not Fort Funston, is it? Are you in SF ? Take it to Bay Area Bird Hospital if so...and PM me, too.

These injuries can be too serious for a home-remedy. A poorly splinted (although well-intentioned) wing can basically insure that the bird will never fly. Nobody wants that, obviously....

And having a novice splint a leg...that's dicey enough as it is...but a BABY's leg ? It's just not a safe idea....

Sometimes you just gotta get a pro in there, or at least someone with a lot of experience and the proper equipment. Don't worry, it sounds like the window of opportunity is still there to heal this baby, but it will take some decisive action....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I was putting up somewhere in the US. But unfortunately Im not... I stay in India, and avian vets over here are impossible to find. Normal vets do not know a thing about pigeons etc...

What Ive done is started all my pigeons the following meds starting from yesterday -

metranidazole
15 mg, twice a day

itraconazole
3 mg per bird

Trimethoprim-Sulpha
25 mg per bird

yes, the parents had been paratyphoid meds before, I am starting another course now... Giving calcium regularly as well...

Should I give the young bird paratyphoid meds too...? or just the antibiotic?
Should I make a makeshift splint using this diagram

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5233&d=1139795421

in a way so that the bird is comfortable...? The swelling seems to have gotten worse in the last 2 days... Im helpless...

DM

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
OK...whew...you clearly know a lot about pigeons !

Well, if he is on antibiotics, that is the best medication you can give.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprophen or Metacam (Petcam)....if you can get any of that.

I have no idea about the dilution and dosage of Ibuprophen, however. Maybe someone else can help with that.

If there is absolutely no way to get medical/vet care for the bird...I suppose you will need to do your best with splinting both the leg and the wing....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts