Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young pigeon (25 days?) wandered up my back steps earlier, walked right past me and slipped by my husband as he was coming out the back door (who didn't believe me when I told him he just let a pigeon into the house). The little guy's been in a box with some seed and a little water for the past few hours while I tried to figure out what to do with him. He hasn't attempted to move around much and I don't think he's taken anything to eat or drink... very quiet except for little squeaks when I try to touch him. I'm in Omaha, NE - advice please, anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is very odd. I wonder where he came from? I suspect he doesn't know how to eat on his own and so you are going to need to feed him. Here are some easy instructions...

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. I f it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
He needs your help and this is the reason he came to you. He needs warmth, water, food and shelter.
People think I’m nuts when I tell them that sick birds come to me. Last year adult dove accompanied with baby walked pass me and went in the kitchen. I took them both and placed them in the cage. Half an hour later adult dove died and left me with the baby.
The baby is grown and well today, but not releasable as it was raised by me.
For your baby pigeon, you need to check if is eating seeds alone and drinking.
Check what he’s poops are like (firm or diarrhea).
You may need to give him bit food by hand (defrosted peas and corn – warm them before giving it) if he is not eating enough.
There is a medicine called Spartrix, I would give him one tablet a day for three days as preventive against crop canker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there's a bunch of them living inside the eaves of a house a few doors down. I called the humane society earlier and was told he was probably a fledgling and that I could either a) put him back outside and hope his parents were caring b) try to each him to fly myself - I don't know if either of us are up for that or c) they could come get him, also bad...

I don't have any frozen peas or corn - just canned. Is that okay or is there something else?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
He will not come to you if his parents look after him.
You can provide best care option no matter how inexperienced.
You can ask for help from someone in your area in this forum too.
P.S. Canned food has preservatives, it is not good for birds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found some frozen corn on the cob. I only had to open his mouth once and then he took each piece from me as it came toward him - squeaking when I wasn't moving fast enough. Very friendly and alert after eating too. I transferred him to a better box (cardboard cat crate) and put a little more corn in with him to see if he'll eat it himself. He wasn't exactly thrilled with that - he wanted to play but it's really late here. Thanks for the info booklet, I'll read through it more thoroughly after some sleep!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Welcome fellow Nebraskan!

Thank you for taking in this precious looking baby pigeon. Looks ike you are doing a pretty good job. I am glad you did not call the humane society. Might have been a bad thing to do_Our member,Charis sent me a private message about your rescue. Should you need any more direction, let me know, and I will send you my phone number. I also live in Omaha. :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thank you Victor.:D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Snellea...it would be wonderful if you put an old towel on the bottom of the box for the baby to stand on. Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job and you have Victor to talk you through any issues. Of course, the rest of us are here as well.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh my! how could you not just want to take care of that preciouse thing! he was looking for help from you for sure. hope it all turns out well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts