Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm road training my 2 baby pigeons these days. Yesterday i tossed my birds just 8 kms away from home. They have already flown 30 kms but from a different direction. One of the babies returned after 1 hr :(. It looked really scared there was a very small scratch on his beak/nose. I doubted something might have really gone bad. The other baby too returned but after 24 hrs with a leg injury:eek:. There was no blood but she was not able to move her leg. She just leans on her chest and wings. I guessed she had not eaten anything. She drank hell lot of water and was not interested in food but she grabbed 5-6 peanuts. As I had to rush to office, I applied some turmeric powder to her leg and left some food/water in her box. Poor girl was terrified and looked in pain. I don't no whether she will be able to walk in her life or may be i can expect some miracle. I'll post the pic as soon as I go back home.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all,

I'm road training my 2 baby pigeons these days. Yesterday i tossed my birds just 8 kms away from home. They have already flown 30 kms but from a different direction. One of the babies returned after 1 hr . It looked really scared there was a very small scratch on his beak/nose. I doubted something might have really gone bad. The other baby too returned but after 24 hrs with a leg injury. There was no blood but she was not able to move her leg. She just leans on her chest and wings. I guessed she had not eaten anything. She drank hell lot of water and was not interested in food but she grabbed 5-6 peanuts. As I had to rush to office, I applied some turmeric powder to her leg and left some food/water in her box. Poor girl was terrified and looked in pain. I don't no whether she will be able to walk in her life or may be i can expect some miracle. I'll post the pic as soon as I go back home.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Dont worry, injuries do happen and pigeons do recover. If you don't see blood or wounds, then she is having a twisted or broken leg mostly.

My uncle's white hen pigeon landed on a heap of still hot fire place. She got burnt all over her lower body including the legs. Yesterday after almost one month she only has a limp on the left leg which too we expect to recover in time.

As long as a pigeon gets supportive care, it recovers pretty good from injury.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sreesh for the positive words. I guess she has a broken leg. Do I need to tie her leg with some cotton? any ointment/pain killer that I can buy here locally?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I held the baby with her leg resting on my palm. I didn't get any movement/pressure from the leg. I'm scared to stretch her leg to see the exact place of injury. She looks quite relaxed now. She is eating/drinking well. I've applied some turmeric paste. Not sure how to tie her leg.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It sounds like she may have broken her leg. That can happen if they hit a wire or something. Place her on a soft surface with shallow food and water dishes so she doesn't have to stand up to eat. A small box or cage will work for this.

I recently took in a domestic dove that turned out to have broken both legs right at the pelvis--he was diagnosed by an x-ray at the vet's. He was unable or unwilling to move his legs or feet at all. I expected him to be permanently disabled but within days he was standing. Three weeks after the incident he is walking and perching with just a slight limp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is just using her one leg and she is not even moving her injured leg. I think the injury is on her thigh. Not sure whether she has a broken leg. She looks active now i.e. no pain i guess. She tries to fly and eats/drinks well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its been almost 3 weeks now. She has started using her leg for scratching her face and to balance while landing. And its really funny to watch her moon walking style. I mean to say while moving, she jumps and moves her injured leg in the air. But yes she is not feeling any pain and recovering really fast. I hope for her to make a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its been almost 3 weeks now. She has started using her leg for scratching her face and to balance while landing. And its really funny to watch her moon walking style. I mean to say while moving, she jumps and moves her injured leg in the air. But yes she is not feeling any pain and recovering really fast. I hope for her to make a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pigeons can tolerate any pain in fact I don't even think they feel pain. I have a feeling that your bird landed or hit a high power line, I have birds that do that too and they come back limping or really injured. The best thing to do is to isolate the bird that way they don't get bothered by other birds. I also know some people that cut a sock and slide it to the birds whole body that way they don't move around and put pressure on theior legs then they hang the birds jsut enough for them to be able to reach the water and food if need be. I wish I can show you the article I saw but I forgot where I found it.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well...sounds to me like there is pain there if that is how she's walking.

Just a suggestion, and you can do with it what you want:

If you are keeping birds you should sorta research up on what are the kind of injuries which rest and quiet and food can just help heal up themselves....vs. the kinds which require medical care.

In your story, one pigeon returned with broken skin, the second with a leg they could not use. Faith is great, but...Both probably required a vet visit and antibiotics.

I would not be so sure your hobbled gal is in the clear, quite honestly. Bone infections are often the result of an untreated or poorly treated leg fracture or break. Although she may be using it (certainly not normally)..this is what pigeons do when given no other alternative. Doesn't mean she's gonna be OK. Doesn't even mean she is improving, necessarily.

In the very least, you should start a 7-day course of Amoxycillin or Cipro/Baytril. If I were you I would also isolate her and keep her in a warm are (70 degrees minimum) while you medicate. Have you been weighing her ?

To my eyes, respectfully.... I suggest to you that her treatment was a bit lasseiz-faire. I think if you are more proactive the healing can go much better.

BTW - this thread is double-posted in 2 different sections:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/baby-pigeon-under-training-got-injured-in-leg-45724.html

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well...I am going to chime in here because I am a bit surprised at the replies thus far.

These notions that pigeons don't feel pain and that rest can take care of orthopedic issues....with due respect to my Forum mates....mmmmph....this isn't very good advice nor are these notions particularly safe.

It sounds to me like there is pain there.... if that is how she's walking. Of course pigeons feel pain, because if they didn't:

a) avian vets wouldn't prescribe painkillers

b) then they would continue to try to use the injured limb as normal.

Just a suggestion, and you can do with it what you want:

If you are keeping birds you should sorta research up on what are the kind of injuries which rest and quiet and food can just help heal up themselves....vs. the kinds which require medical care.

In your story, one pigeon returned with broken skin, the second with a leg they could not use. Faith is great, wonderful...but...Both birds probably required a vet visit and antibiotics. At least one or the other treatments....

Blood on one, and no use of leg on another ???? Those birds needed more treatment.

I would not be so sure your hobbled gal is in the clear, quite honestly. Bone infections are often the result of an untreated or poorly treated leg fracture or break. Although she may be using it (certainly not normally)..this is what pigeons do when given no other alternative. Doesn't mean she's gonna be OK. Doesn't even mean she is improving, necessarily. Heck, I have seen injured ferals with bad legs...and they go on, and on, and on....but eventually...5 weeks, 6 weeks, etc...they keep looking worse and worse, obviously succumbing to illnesses associated with the break or fracture...and then, see them no more. (You'd argue that they got hit or killed by a predator...but the fact is, they were slowly dying to an accompanying infection or such, which weakened them to the point where they either passed or were an easy target.

In the very least, you should start a 7-day course of Amoxycillin or Cipro/Baytril....yes, NOW. If I were you I would also isolate her and keep her in a warm are (70 degrees minimum) while you medicate. Have you been weighing her ?

To my eyes, respectfully.... I suggest to you that her treatment was a bit lasseiz-faire. You are sorta lucking-out at the moment, but the hobbled bird is not in a good state. I think if you are more proactive the healing can go much better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Jaye... Thanks for your valuable comments.

No sign of wound on the first bird now. And regarding the bird with injured leg, there was no sign of blood when it arrived but she was not at all able to move her leg. But the good sign is she is able use her leg to some extent now. And yes I do understand that pigeons do feel pain. :). These birds have never been weighed but i feel there is no visible weight loss. They are eating/drinking well.

And regarding Amoxycillin or Cipro/Baytril, I would love to treat her with these meds. I hope these or similar kind of meds will be effective since its been almost 3 weeks now.

Thanks again and i'll keep you guys updated with the result.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts