Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m giving shelter and care for a baby pigeon, max. 1 month old. He has been with me for 4-5 days. I have no experience with birds but I am trying to do my best for my little guy. Two days ago he succeeded to come out from his box where I am keeping him and fall down from the chair (above the carpet). This fall caused big damage to his right wing. The connection part with humerus bone and Glenoid fossa is all swollen. When I lift up the wing I saw small broken bone (bone is exposed from his skin), most likely coracoid (or blade of the scapula). He eats and drinks well and poops regularly. How can I cure the swollen area? How could I help one part of the broken bone to be attached with another one as it locates under the wing? How could I secure the wing? Could I tie both wings against his body? What will happen if these broken edges will not grow together? Please help me :confused:.

Kind Regards,
Miizk from Sharm el Sheikh

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello, and thank you for taking the baby in.

I have e-mailed one of our members who hopefully can advise you on this sort of injury.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Feefo

Hello, and thank you for taking the baby in.

I have e-mailed one of our members who hopefully can advise you on this sort of injury.

Dear Feefo,

Thank you so much for your help, I will look forward to an answer. Could you send me a private message when you will have an answer. Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Janne

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well... in order to actually answer, we need to be able to see the damage. The skin over their wings is rather translucent when they're young and sometimes you're not sure what it is that you're seeing. The scapula can be visible when they're very young, but it looks like it's part of the body itself. The coracoid is virtually never visible but you can feel it if you know how--you have to insert your finger under the crop at the top of the keel and carefully push inward to feel the "V" shape. If the crop is full of seeds, that's going to be difficult. Most of the bones that make up the shoulder and upper wing (humerus) are heavily encased in muscles so they're more difficult to visualize. Is there any strong black/blue or green (what a bruise looks like on a bird after a couple of days) discoloration?

By the way, about all you can do for a shoulder wound like that is to tape everything as best you can so that it stays in the normal folded position.

Pidgey

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I’m giving shelter and care for a baby pigeon, max. 1 month old. He has been with me for 4-5 days. I have no experience with birds but I am trying to do my best for my little guy. Two days ago he succeeded to come out from his box where I am keeping him and fall down from the chair (above the carpet). This fall caused big damage to his right wing. The connection part with humerus bone and Glenoid fossa is all swollen. When I lift up the wing I saw small broken bone (bone is exposed from his skin), most likely coracoid (or blade of the scapula). He eats and drinks well and poops regularly. How can I cure the swollen area? How could I help one part of the broken bone to be attached with another one as it locates under the wing? How could I secure the wing? Could I tie both wings against his body? What will happen if these broken edges will not grow together? Please help me :confused:.

Kind Regards,
Miizk from Sharm el Sheikh
Are you sure he is a month old. I'm wondering why he isn't trying to fly yet or flying, is there something else wrong with the baby?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure he is a month old. I'm wondering why he isn't trying to fly yet or flying, is there something else wrong with the baby?
Dear Treesa,

Honestly, I don't know for sure how old my baby could be. My husband assumed that he might be less than 1 month old (he had pigeons when he was young but as he never faced difficult case what we are experiencing with our wild baby, we need professional help)
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Miizk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everybody,

Couples of days have passed by and my small baby is doing little bit better. At least his right wing seems to be healing as the swollen area has reduced. Also he can flap his wings already. The skin color above the injury is pink (no blue etc) like the rest of his body where the skin is visible under the feathers.

Nevertheless, I noticed much bigger problem - he is unable to use his feet and toes properly (like before the fall). For going forward or backwards he is using his beak to support and spreading/flapping the wings to give him balance. It makes me so worry and I am so afraid he will not be able to take care about himself when adult.

I have added several photographs and wrote additional information as follows:

Wing injury from side

As I wrote previously, he cant use his feet or toes as he should

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5761/meshmesh045.mp4

Thank you ALL for your help and support. :)

Kind Regards,
Miizk

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The rescues that I have had with feet like that were suffering from a calcium deficiency. That could have caused the fall.

I corrected the feet by making two small rolls of soft bandage and taping the birds feet into the right position, but I know others have corrected them successfully by bandaging the feet flat. I also gave calcium supplements.

This is a thread about the worse case I had: Baby dove with deformed legs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts