Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, my neighbour's son found an injured baby in the street earlier and brought it around to me. I have put him on a warm hot water bottle and he is sitting in a U shaped towel. I'm not sure how old he is but he has an injured leg and can't put any weight on it. He seems perky enough and is preening himself and stretching his wings. What do I do next? Any help is gratefully appreciated...........

Attachments

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Don't know about the leg, but I think that baby has canker. I'll go try to rouse a member in your country. Hold on...........

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi Sandie

Can you please open baby's beak - gently, as their beaks are not hardened up yet. Do you see anything inside beak/mouth which looks kinda yellowish/brown cheeselike substance? A pigeons mouth should normally be clear and pinkish in color.

If there's a problem in there, needs to be sorted out before it creates bigger problem.

John

(Thanks, Renee :) )

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Sandie,

Please thank your neighbour's son for picking the baby up, he certainly needs help...and he is literally only a baby!

What part of Cheshire are you in? Would you be able to get it to the Three Owls Sanctuary?

GREATER MANCHESTER

Three Owls Sanctuary
Wolstenholme Fold
Norden
Rochdale OL11 5UD
Tel: (01706) 642162
Fax: (01706) 659090
24 Hour Helpline: 07973 819389

Email: [email protected]
Rochdale, 12.5 miles from Manchester

It certainly looks as if it has canker and that will need immediate treatment as it can block the oesophagus. I can send you medication, but it won't arrive until Wednesday at the earliest. If you go to a vet you should be able to get Flagyl or Spartrix, both of which are good remedies for canker. With treatment it clears up within a few days.

In the meantime, please mix 1 pint of warm water with half a teaspoon of salt and half a tablespoon of glucose, honey or sugar (in that order of preference). Pour some into a cup and dip his beak in, keeping the nostrils clear, that should encourage him to drink and prevent dehydration.

Cynthia

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm in Crewe, so not too far from the Three Owls Santuary. Will take him in tomorrow. As usual everything happens when I've got to go into work (nights) so I've settled him down and given my daughter instructions about filling his hot water bottle etc and offering him a drink. He has yawned a couple of times and can't really see too much of the yellow growths, it is quite pink but you guys obviously know the signs, and that aswell as his leg definately need urgent treatment. How old do you think he is?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'm in Crewe, so not too far from the Three Owls Santuary. Will take him in tomorrow. As usual everything happens when I've got to go into work (nights) so I've settled him down and given my daughter instructions about filling his hot water bottle etc and offering him a drink. He has yawned a couple of times and can't really see too much of the yellow growths, it is quite pink but you guys obviously know the signs, and that aswell as his leg definately need urgent treatment. How old do you think he is?
I would say between 27 and 30 days old. Thanks for all you're doing.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
his leg definately need urgent treatment
Yes, you are right. We have focused on the canker because it is life threatening, but the leg also needs urgent attention.

The lump under the beak and the lack of feathers on the chest and neck are indicators of canker...the lump is likely to be a nodule and the disease affects the feather follicles of the skin adjacent to nodules.

Your daughter's instructions regarding keeping him warm are spot on, that is a first vital step to take with any sick bird.

Please keep us updated.

Cynthia

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone, just to let you all know that I took Baby Pidge to the Three Owls Santuary at Rochdale as suggested by Cynthia. When he was booked in he had a suspected dislocated hip and of course the canker.
Unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. :( Thanks for all your help an concern.
Sandie

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry! He was such a sweet looking baby. Thank you for all you did for him.

Cynthia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts