Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. We are currently in possession of a baby pigeon that was being pecked and forced out of the nest by the male. But, the female still tried to care for him and would feed him often. Unfortunately, the male pushed him off the roof of our house and he landed in one of our hanging flower pots. When we picked him up, he did not seem to be too well. He is 103.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, his stomach / crop area seems to be around 90% filled with a pebble like substance. Tons of it. I am not too sure what to do. He is about a week old. Please help. I am in Peyton, Colorado and the local bird rescue said to put him outside and let nature take its course.

~Suz

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What a horrible thing for a bird rescue to say - I don't think much of their ethics if they are supposed to care for birds. I don't really know what to do for him and I'm not sure if feeding him is appropriate if he truly does have pebbles in his crop. If he is only one week old he'll be extremely small and have yellow down on him and it's strange that a parent bird would feed such 'food' to him as they'd know better - he too wouldn't have the pecking ability to eat for himself yet either. If you could post a pic of him that would be very helpful to members to determine his age and condition. Pigeons have higher temperatures than we do but again I'm not sure by how many degrees. I'd keep him warm, heat mat or water bottle covered with a towel that he can get off of if he wants, and hopefully a more experienced member will come along to help you soon.
Thank you for looking after him and if his crop has grain in it he'll need to be warm in order to digest it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I just saw this thread. Wonder what happened to the baby. This guy needed a vet to get the hard things out of the crop. Wonder if he made it. Poor thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts