Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a baby pigeon in Mumbai, India. It had fallen out of it's nest and was injured on it's left side. I took it in and gave it some seeds and water. I let it explore the house and it tried to fly and got hurt. It just stays in it's cage now and never comes out of it. It can't fly at all. And it trips while walking. Doesn't even touch the injured leg on the ground. What can I do to help?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Can you post a photo of the legs and the wings? Is the one wing hanging lower than the other one? Might be broken. Is he at least eating and drinking by himself or are you still feeding him?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
How long have you had the bird? Yes, a picture would help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had him for two weeks. He was doing fine in the beginning. Yes. One wing appears to be lower than the other one and touches the ground. He can barely walk. I tried checking the wings and he doesn't seem to have any control over it as If it's paralysed. Sorry can't get a photo rn. Will post one in the morning.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If the wing is hanging like that it is most likely broken. If so then he isn't going to be able to fly again. But the leg has to work for him to have any quality of life. If it is broken also, then it will heal the way it is because birds bones heal quickly. I hope not, or it would need to be broken again and set by a vet to heal well. It's too late to set either one at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there anything I can do to help it? One of my friends suggested that I secure the wings with a cloth band for support also preventing it from flying. I'm not sure if that'd help.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If he can't fly then why would you want to prevent it from flying?
It would have been very helpful for the wing to be wrapped, in a more natural position, in the beginning, to give it support and to help it to heal in a better position, but 2 weeks later is too late. As I have said, bird bones heal quickly. So you are not going to be able to change their position now. The leg is actually more important I think. At least, he needs to be able to walk or to fly, or there is no quality for him. A picture would probably help. We need to be able to see the leg and its position.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can find a stick or popsicle stick place it along the last flight feather use paper tape to secure it then take his wings and fold them as natural as you can like when its walkin about and wrap an acebandigge around the bird not tight but secured and maybe that might keep it from hurting or dragin the wing.
I wish you the best...
CRZYTRKR..

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you can find a stick or popsicle stick place it along the last flight feather use paper tape to secure it then take his wings and fold them as natural as you can like when its walkin about and wrap an acebandigge around the bird not tight but secured and maybe that might keep it from hurting or dragin the wing.
I wish you the best...
CRZYTRKR..
In 2 weeks time the bones are mending. Setting it now will not change that. They are already mending in the position that they have been in for 2 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts