Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Pidgy is doing so good, getting so big, he’s more than doubled his weight since we found him & most of his pin feathers are fluffed out. We’ve had him 18 days today & found him when he was no more than 2 or 3 days old. Here’s my question(s): he is flapping his wings & will jump off my hands with his wings out (2-3” from the ground) and sometimes he’ll jump into my lap. He is a voracious eater, he pecks & bites at everything & this morning started actually grabbing at things on the towel I put down when I feed him, like a little dried spot of formula. Should I start to introduce seeds? If so, what kind? I have nyjer seed & wild bird mix on hand. I got a small bag of egg mix, would that be ok to start with? Also, do I need to offer some grit too? This is all happening way too fast! 🥺
Thanks everyone!

Here’a some pics from today
Vertebrate Fur clothing Door Felidae Feather

Bird Beak Safety glove Turtle Wood

Bird Chicken Phasianidae Gesture Beak

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
He looks very fit and well! Good job to you! Yes, give him as many seeds as he will eat. I'd wait awhile before giving him sunflower seeds in the shell though, if those are in your wild bird mix. Out of the shell is fine, in fact the birds love them that way. Nyjer is good too, has lots of fat for energy that he needs to grow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: he loves seeds! He eats his formula then pecks at the seeds for a bit. If one gets tossed, he goes & gets it 😂
Here’s my plan, let me know if it’s not good: currently I feed him 2.5tbsp of formula 3 times a day, I’m thinking I’ll cut back to 2 feedings w/formula (reducing to 2 tbsp) with seed mix, and then mid-day offer just seeds and water. We are moving him into a bigger cage situation, is it safe to put a bowl of seeds in there with him along with water? Or should I just continue to offer it at feeding times? I worry about the switch, how long before I eliminate formula, & him not getting enough nutrition. Also, I can’t find a consensus on grit, should he have grit yet?

Sorry so many questions, it’s just so hard to find solid answers.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Feral pigeon parents usually feed the squabs crop-milk, with seeds added after the first week. The amount of seeds gradually increases through the end of the fourth week. The amount of moisture consequently reduces as the amount of seeds increase, but the change happens in small steps each day. The moisture content is my only concern with the bird eating more seeds. If he is drinking on his own, he would likely solve that problem by himself. If not, then it may be best to include some formula in each feeding so that he has sufficient moisture to properly digest the drier seeds.

I don't think that I would give him grit yet. They don't actually appear to need it for digestion, but rather the main benefit of grit seems to be the minerals in the grit itself, which presumably the formula provides for now. Once he is eating and drinking independently, making grit available would be good.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Leave a bowl of seeds and water with him. Feed him formula in the mornings (then they are usually very hungry) and concentrate on getting him to eat seeds during the day. Feed formula again in the evenings if necessary

You can "play" with the seeds by using your fingers. Push them around, pick them up and let them fall. Do the same with water. He will copy what your fingers are doing.

They like bathing. So if the weather is warm, he might even take a bath.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Feral pigeon parents usually feed the squabs crop-milk, with seeds added after the first week. The amount of seeds gradually increases through the end of the fourth week. The amount of moisture consequently reduces as the amount of seeds increase, but the change happens in small steps each day. The moisture content is my only concern with the bird eating more seeds. If he is drinking on his own, he would likely solve that problem by himself. If not, then it may be best to include some formula in each feeding so that he has sufficient moisture to properly digest the drier seeds.

I don't think that I would give him grit yet. They don't actually appear to need it for digestion, but rather the main benefit of grit seems to be the minerals in the grit itself, which presumably the formula provides for now. Once he is eating and drinking independently, making grit available would be good.
Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts