Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone: Have not been on here in awhile. I am the one that has the pigeon that is blind in one eye. She has been laying eggs for months. Well, today at the rehab center there was a new baby pigeon born and the parents rejected it. I brought it home hoping mine would care for it seeing as she is laying on eggs. I took one egg out of nestbox and put the babe in. She looked at it like she had never seen a babe before. Did lay on it but kept really flapping her left wing hard. She stepped on it also so I took it out. She looked for it though. She seems uncertain as what to do with it. I am afraid she may attack it. But I did notice she is eating much more and drinking more. Does she have to get ready for the hatch by making crop milk or is that just automatic? When she hears it peep she does react. Should I hand rear this little one or give it a try. And should I stay hidden and watch as maybe she will not care for it with me there. She is doing the wing flapping thing when I put my hands near her face. Like she wants to feed me. This babe does have a little click when he breaths so Im thinking he may be sick from being cold or have aspirated some formula at rehab center. Any info would be great thanks you guys are all the best. Beth :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought but so hard to feed. I am so afraid the babe is going to aspirate the formula. I try hard but always seem to give a little to much. Also it has not pooped since this afternoon. The crop does not look to full. I warmed the formula. I just hope it makes it. :) Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The fist time it helps to massage the baby's bottom to get it to poop. Careful though...the first poop may project all the way across the room...I know from experience on this one!
It's critical that you keep the baby warm enough. If it isn't, the crop will become stagnant. I know this seems hard but it can be done and will seem easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Please use "Search" to keyword "hand feeding" and "baby feeding". I would link you some of them but I don't have time right this second, there is SO much information about hand feeding on here that is very helpful. I think we cover it all! :D You may have to use an eyedropper at first. Some babies do seem to make that clicking sound when they are little, often it is a "get away" sound but not in one so tiny. As mentioned heat is very important, a heating pad set on low with a towel is ideal. Please do search and read, pretty much any post that says anything about "found a baby" or "how do I hand feed" will have all the info listed in it. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much. The baby did have very few droppings last night. But crop still a bit full looking. And this am I noticed a bad smell coming from droppings and the bird. Smells like my adult did when she had clostridum dif. I have a call in to the vet. I do have some metranidazole (spelling) and some nystatin and baytril on hand here but not sure how to dose such a small one. I have put heating pad on high and have her in a knit nest with tissue to line. Her body feels very warm to touch now and she is more active. Should I have heat lower? I am looking into all the handfeeding now. Thank you. Beth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts