Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I found a baby pigeon standing in the middle of a busy road. I have no idea how she got there, but I'm guessing that she fell from the freeway overpass nearby which seems to be about 4 or 5 stories high. There was nowhere for her to go so I took her home. At first I tried giving her a variety of fruits and breads and even some cheese and spinach, then I tried giving her baby chicken feed, all unsuccessfully, and finally I tried Kaytee baby bird food that I feed her with a syringe. So far that is the only thing she will eat. From what I've read on the internet, it looks like she is probably around 25 weeks old. She seems to have most of her adult feathers along with some straggly baby feathers around her head.
What I'm concerned about is whether I'm feeding her the right amount, and whether I should be focusing on trying to get her to feed on her own. (I've tried simulating a bird eating and sort of tapping on the food to no avail)
Right now I feed her about 1-1 1/2 CCs whenever her crop looks empty, about twice a day.
I've now started giving her a little water in the syringe after every feeding. (Should I be doing that?)
It took us about 4 days to get used to one another and get a routine down for the feeding, but now that we have she screams incessantly whenever she sees me walk into the room, even if her crop is totally full (Not sure if I even know what that would look like). She also does a strange little dance and flaps her wings rapidly, though she doesn't extend them even an inch away from her body. She also pecks at my fingers and it looks like she is trying to swallow them.
I'm sorry this is so long, I guess these are my questions for now:
Why does she act so nutty when I'm around even though she's full?
If she IS 25 weeks, is baby bird formula enough?
I've only seen her drink water on her own once, is this ok?
Is it possible to overfeed her?

Thanks so much in advance! We need all the advice we can get!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I found a baby pigeon standing in the middle of a busy road. I have no idea how she got there, but I'm guessing that she fell from the freeway overpass nearby which seems to be about 4 or 5 stories high. There was nowhere for her to go so I took her home. At first I tried giving her a variety of fruits and breads and even some cheese and spinach, then I tried giving her baby chicken feed, all unsuccessfully, and finally I tried Kaytee baby bird food that I feed her with a syringe. So far that is the only thing she will eat. From what I've read on the internet, it looks like she is probably around 25 weeks old. She seems to have most of her adult feathers along with some straggly baby feathers around her head.
What I'm concerned about is whether I'm feeding her the right amount, and whether I should be focusing on trying to get her to feed on her own. (I've tried simulating a bird eating and sort of tapping on the food to no avail)
Right now I feed her about 1-1 1/2 CCs whenever her crop looks empty, about twice a day.
I've now started giving her a little water in the syringe after every feeding. (Should I be doing that?)
It took us about 4 days to get used to one another and get a routine down for the feeding, but now that we have she screams incessantly whenever she sees me walk into the room, even if her crop is totally full (Not sure if I even know what that would look like). She also does a strange little dance and flaps her wings rapidly, though she doesn't extend them even an inch away from her body. She also pecks at my fingers and it looks like she is trying to swallow them.
I'm sorry this is so long, I guess these are my questions for now:
Why does she act so nutty when I'm around even though she's full?
If she IS 25 weeks, is baby bird formula enough?
I've only seen her drink water on her own once, is this ok?
Is it possible to overfeed her?

Thanks so much in advance! We need all the advice we can get!
Hello. Thanks for saving the bird.
I'll assume that YOU are Emily and the pigeon is Choptop?? I'm also going to assume that you mean 25 DAYS old, not 25 weeks?
First of all, 1 1/2 CC is no where near enough to be feeding a youngster this old. She's going to flap her wings for a while when seeing you because you are her parent now, but to be honest, the poor bird is almost starving. You have GOT to get more food into her. I can't tell you exact amounts, because I dont measure........I just feed until they are full.
Can you tell us where you are and can you post a picture of the baby?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Emily, welcome!
Your bird is behaving normally the way it will treat s/he’s parents. Wing flapping, pecking etc is baby pigeon’s way to beg for food. They do that even if they crop is full.
You can try feeding some defrosted peas and corn too. Run hot water over them until slightly warm and pop piece by piece in the beak. It takes 40~50 pieces per feeding.
Babies usually get 15~20 ml formula mix (it is a bit confusing for me your measurements) this makes 1 heaped teaspoon dry mix mixed with warm water until you get it maple syrup like consistency.
It is possible to overfeed baby, which is dangerous for their health, rather check crop to be 2/3 full and do not feed until emptied. Feeding 2~3 times a day is normal for babies.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Can you possibly post a picture of the bird? She can not possibly be 25 weeks and still not have all her feathers. Did you mean 25 days?

Kaytee baby bird formula is fine, but if you are only giving 1/2 CC's at a time 2 times a day that is not enough. A baby pigeon of 25 days old should be eating 15 CC's at least 3times even 4 times a day.

Her squeaking, pecking and the slight wing flapping jesters are all that of hunger. She wants to be fed. This is typical baby pigeon behavior. When she sees you and crys she is seeing you as her parent and looking for you to feed her.

You can also hand feed her defrosed peas and corn. Approx 30/40 pieces per feeding. Just open her beak and place one piece at a time towards the back of her mouth and she should swallow. This is good way to start training her to eat on her own. You can try some very small bird seed as well.

You say after 1-1 1/2 CC's her crop looks full. Does is look like an inflated baloon? The amount of food you say you are giving her is not nearly enough to fill the crop. I'm thinking maybe you do not have your measurements correct.

In any case, you have come to the right place for help. Welcome to our forum. I'm sure there will be more members along to assist you as well.

Again if you could post a picture it would be helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
25 days! sorry about that. I also made a mistake in reading my syringe, I have been feeding her 1-1 1/2 ounces, not CCs. I have actually been feeding her 30-45 CCs. Sorry about that! I'll see if I can get a good pic with my phone for now...
Btw, we are in Houston, TX, and yes, I am Emily and I've dubbed her Choptop for now.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Emily.........I'm glad you checked your measurements. 30-45 ccs is more than enough for a bird that age. Just make sure her crop is completely empty before giving any more food. At 25 days old she shoud be feeding on her own. Place enough seed in a small dish and peck at it with your fingers, slowly she will get the hang of it. Also her water dish should be atleast 2 inches as pigeons use their beaks like straws to sip up the water.

Thank you so much for saving this baby.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok now that I know all that (thanks again), I wanted to ask about a wart-like growth on the back of her head, and two very small similar growths on one of her eyelids. So far all I can find in my research is info about Pox and Canker. This info has led me to inspect her mouth, where unfortunately I did find one small yellow lesion beside her tongue. I am keeping an eye on it, but so far she seems to have no trouble breathing or eating/drinking.
The growth on her head doubled in size in about 2 days and then stopped growing. I've been applying a little bit of tea tree oil because I read this could help-I haven't put anything on her eye, however. I did read that you could apply colloidal silver to the eye as a natural antibiotic but I'm not sure about that.
I've read that 80% of the feral pigeon population has pox or canker, and that most have it when they are babies and then are immune thereafter, does this mean I should wait and see what happens? At what point should I try to get some prescription medicine?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Get Spartrix tablets and treat her ASAP please. This will help with canker.
I would use Appertex for coccidiosis and praziquantel for worms.
Pox requires no treatment, just supportive care (you allready providing)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can order it online. Vet exam is good option if you have friendly and experienced Vet in your area. These medicines are "must have" with pigeons so I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Emily.....A visit to a EXPERIENCED AVIAN Vet would be advisable if you can find one and it is affordable to you. The canker should be treated ASAP as left untreated could be potentially fatal. The pox can be treated with the tea tree oil or you can apply some diluted benidine solution to help dry the lesions that will eventually drop off.

You are doing a really great job with this little bird. Thank you again for caring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please Help!

I have a baby pigeon that is probably around 25 days old, I've been feeding her Kaytee baby formula twice a day. When I went to check if her crop was empty I noticed it was VERY full. It's so full its ballooning up towards her neck a little. It's firmer than it feels after feeding, and I'm pretty sure its full of air. She tried to squeal like she usually does at feeding time but seems to only be able to squeak and occasionally wheezes or coughs. I am very new at this and only got on this forum today, and only found out today that I am supposed to wait until the crop is completely empty before feeding again. I've had her for a little over a week and have been feeding her sometimes with a little food left in her crop.
Do I need to massage this? I don't have many options on medication because it's 9:30 at night and most pet stores/vets are closed.
Also her crop seems tender to touch.

Please help!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can we see a picture?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is she pooping?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts