Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the problem with the first born getting an advantage on the second baby born..what a difference a day makes! My newborns are noticeably different in size and I can see the bigger one getting all the food and bullying the little one. They are about 11 days old and starting to get pin feathers.

Is it advisable to separate the two- one with dad and the other with mom until the little one catches up?

Thank you for any wisdom you can impart. I want both to be healthy and strong.

Vicky

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Do you have handrearing formula? If so you can give additional feedings to the little one until he catches up. You can check on youtube "how to feed baby pigeons" and get all the necessary equipment.

I won't seperate them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T
Do you have handrearing formula? If so you can give additional feedings to the little one until he catches up. You can check on youtube "how to feed baby pigeons" and get all the necessary equipment.

I won't seperate them.
Thank you for your advice..I've tried this in the past and was a bit squeamish about it.

Today, I didn't separate the family (mom with one baby and dad with the other) but I separated the babies in little nesting boxes next to each other on the floor of the loft. In the past, I had the nesting box on the floor so there was more room for the babies to get separate attention from the parents as they followed them around the floor. It appeared the little one was able to get fed without the competition and bullying from the larger one.

I'm glad to report I witnessed the little one fed freely without the fighting, twice today!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts