Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have pigeons that nested on my balcony under one of the chairs. I know nothing at all about birds. The eggs hatched 9 days ago. I noticed this morning that they have been unaccompanied by one of the adults most of the morning, which is not what I’d observed in the previous days. I’ve just now found one of the parent pigeons dead. It was stiff so it obviously hadn’t died just then, I’m guessing it happened at some point overnight or early this morning. What do I do? Im hoping the other parent returns and cares for them, but if they don’t, what are my options? Obviously I want the babies to survive. Do wildlife rescue places take Wild baby pigeons? If not, how do I care for them? I haven’t got the money to buy things like lamps or special food. Is there something I may have in the house that can be fed to them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
181 Posts
the other parent will stop caring for them. It is too much for just one bird to care for the young.

Most wildlife rehabilitators will not take pigeons (or will and then put them down) as they are considered pests. The best chance these birds have now is probably you. Unfortunately things most people have at home will not keep them alive long-term. Keeping the squabs warm is crucial, because if they are cold they cannot properly digest their food (which leads to crop stasis and eventually, death). Do you have any heat mats? Hot water bottles?

If you have a heat mat, place it down and then place an old shirt or a soft cloth you don't use anymore on top in a nest-like shape. Then place the babies on there and put a cardboard box over them so that they are sheltered from cold drafts. Check on the birds often so that they don't get too hot.

If you have a hot water bottle, grab a cardboard box and place an old shirt or soft cloth at the bottom of it. Then put the hot water bottle in on one side and then the baby birds on the other. check on them often to make sure they don't get too hot or too cold.

If you have neither, you can make a DIY heat source. you will need an old sock, and dry rice or cereal. Fill the sock with the rice or cereal and tie it off, then you can microwave it then and follow the same steps as the hot water bottle.

For food, it would be best to get baby bird formula from a pet supply store, or to make a baby bird formula yourself. I have attached some helpful websites and videos:

What can I feed Orphan Baby Wild Doves and Pigeons: What Can I Feed Orphan Baby Wild Doves & Pigeons?

Bottle feeding:

Syringe feeding:

Here's a guy that feeds his pigeon by mouth (not recommended, just throwing it in here):

I wish you the best of luck on this journey!

·
Registered
181 Posts
the other parent will stop caring for them. It is too much for just one bird to care for the young.

Most wildlife rehabilitators will not take pigeons (or will and then put them down) as they are considered pests. The best chance these birds have now is probably you. Unfortunately things most people have at home will not keep them alive long-term. Keeping the squabs warm is crucial, because if they are cold they cannot properly digest their food (which leads to crop stasis and eventually, death). Do you have any heat mats? Hot water bottles?

If you have a heat mat, place it down and then place an old shirt or a soft cloth you don't use anymore on top in a nest-like shape. Then place the babies on there and put a cardboard box over them so that they are sheltered from cold drafts. Check on the birds often so that they don't get too hot.

If you have a hot water bottle, grab a cardboard box and place an old shirt or soft cloth at the bottom of it. Then put the hot water bottle in on one side and then the baby birds on the other. check on them often to make sure they don't get too hot or too cold.

If you have neither, you can make a DIY heat source. you will need an old sock, and dry rice or cereal. Fill the sock with the rice or cereal and tie it off, then you can microwave it then and follow the same steps as the hot water bottle.

For food, it would be best to get baby bird formula from a pet supply store, or to make a baby bird formula yourself. I have attached some helpful websites and videos:

What can I feed Orphan Baby Wild Doves and Pigeons: What Can I Feed Orphan Baby Wild Doves & Pigeons?

Bottle feeding:

Syringe feeding:

Here's a guy that feeds his pigeon by mouth (not recommended, just throwing it in here):

I wish you the best of luck on this journey!
The one with the guy feeding his pigeon by mouth also has some food you can make to feed the birds, so do check it out.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Can you check what their droppings look like? If bright green, then they haven't been fed for a while and will starve. You can also feel if their crops are full or empty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts