Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two baby pigeons on my balcony. I've ben watching them fro inside for over a week now. The mother didn't come home last night and I'm concerned for them. How long can they survive without the mother?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Depends. Did she hatch them on your balcony? Are they fully feathered? Can you post a picture?
I would put out some seed and water. She may be coming when you aren't around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
She did hatch them on the balcony. They are in a narrow planter box along the edge of the balcony. The window from which I watch has a sun screen, so I don't think she can see me. I'm concerned if I feed her other birds will come and the babies will be harmed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do you know how long ago they hatched? If you don't feed them and she isn't coming to feed them they won't make it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think they hatched about 2 weeks ago. They are very active. I don't know very much about birds. I love all animals. The people in my neighborhood don't like pigeons. They capture and destroy them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can get some seed if you have a local feed store that carries pigeon mix. Try putting some in a dish and moving it around with your finger so they notice it. They may be a little young yet for the seed. If they don't eat it you can get some Exact baby bird food and try syringe feeding them. There are some other posts on here explaining various methods of doing this. I've found it works for me just using a syringe filled with the Exact and squirting small amounts in the side of their open beak. It can become quite messy, but it works.
When is the last time you saw the mother?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw the mother yesterday morning before I went to work. She usually comes to feed them in the evening and then stays there. I didn't see her last evening.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If she's coming back to them I don't think I'd interfere. The father also helps take care of the young. They could be coming in late in the evening and sitting on them through the night

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're probably right. I live in Arizona and it's getting hot here, so they might be coming at night. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sure thing. Dad is probably coming during the day while you're gone to feed. Just keep your eye on them and make sure they're growing. They sure are fun to watch, aren't they. Pigeons are great parents.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thanks for looking out for them. The parents do leave them alone at night and much of the day after two weeks. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts