Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owe a world of gratitude to the members here. 5 or 6 years ago I rescued a baby pigeon. Due to everyone's help (from this site) Owl is a healthy, happy and bossy member of the family.

Now I have another question. There is a robin's nest in the trailer hitch of fifth wheel here on our property. There is only one baby robin in it. I am not sure if the other eggs didn't hatch or what, but there is only one baby. I work all day, but do check in on him/her several times a day. I used to see the mother or father rather frequently, but have not seen them lately. The baby is good sized, with feathers, but still also has 'fuzz'. Here is what I am having a problem with: I have not seen the parents lately and the baby hasn't moved in at least a day. It's alive because when I put a flash-light on it the beam makes it blink it's eyes. Other than that there is no sign of life. No movememnt, nothing. I used to be able to stand quite a ways a way and make 'kissy' noises and I could hear movement and peeps in repsonse. Now, absolutely nothng. No movement, no peeps, nothing. Should I be at all concerned? Of course, you can tell that I already am concerned, but I should I be more concerned? Could it have been abandonded? How long can it survive without intervention?

Am awaiting all your responses. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I am no great expert but have had to hand rear some babies this year that people feared were abandoned.
A young bird won't survive for long without food, maybe it is at an age where the adult only pops back to feed as opposed to sitting on the youngster all day.

If you have been around enough that you haven't seen any parent activity, I'd try and help it along.
Is it possible for you to supplement it's feeding without taking it away from the nest?
If you can reach you could offer it something like mealworms if you can get any. Hold one with tweezers above it's head and see if it gapes and just drop it in it's mouth, or softened puppy kibble in tiny pieces.

I do hope it's going to be ok, they're so sweet.

Janet

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would leave him alone, the parents don't hang out at the nest as not to attract preditors, he will be quiet too, untill they come to feed him, sounds like he is going to be ready to leave the nest some time soon, and he will be out in the field with his parents begging to be fed and following them around, some times it looks like they have been left, but most times the parent birds are near by. always best to leave babies that are older that are in the nest, if this was a very young one out of the nest, then that may be different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts