Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pair of rock pigeons had made a nest behind our air conditioner a month and a half ago. We tried everything to stop them from making a nest their because the last time they did a pair of mainah birds pecked on the babies and killed one of them. We have the other one (who has a short leg - left leg stopped growing as it's head was severely injured) and just today morning, we noticed that one of the two new hatched babies of the new bird couple was dead.
It was squashed completely (head-legs were flattened) :( we already suspected this was to happen as their is very less space.
Well, we cleaned up the area, took both the dead and live bird with us. :(
Did we do the right thing? Or should we have just kept it there?
Also we are feeding it crushed green gram and does seem to like it :) But since it's only 10-15 days old Is there something else we should feed it?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well....it was probably wise to take her/him in. Maybe the parents were still attending the live one but obviously something went wrong there so you did the right thing.

Can you post a photo of the Pigeon ? Do you want to release him/her when he is ready to join the Feral world, or keep him/her ? If release, you need to keep him until around 8-9 weeks old. Then there is a special process of release you must follow, which must be done over a period of about 5-7 days.

OK well that she/he is actually eating is a very good sign. Green gram is mung beans, that is good, very nutritious. She eats by herself ? Pecks at it and swallows ? Or are you hand-feeding it wet >

You can also try wheatberries, millet, safflower seed, and oat groats. Or just buy some wild bird seed mix and try feeding him that.

What about water ? If she doesn't drink by herself, try dipping the tip of her beak in a bowl of water (just the tip, not the whole beak) and see if she starts drinking.

Thanks for caring. I suggest you buy something to block off that area behind the air conditioner permanently...perhaps some wire mesh....

Thank you for caring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have blocked the empty space behind the AC with shoe boxes temporarily but your wire mesh idea seems to be good.
Well we are handfeeding it and also putting some in a wet cotton cloth and making a small slit for the baby to put in it's beak :)
I will take note of the other things you have written it could eat. Also we have tried to make it drink water, it does drink a little. My mum also pries openthe peak little so that she can pour little water inside.
This new baby seems to be healthy and is chirping (cooing?) And i think it's a he :D
Can I know the procedure of releasing it? We are not planning to realease it now anyway since he's pretty small :) We may release the new one but we have already planned to keep the short legged pigeon :)
here's a photo -

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes, he (she ? ;)) is very young...maybe 10-11 days old at the most. You can also feed him human baby food, the kind you buy in a jar. Some which contains things like rice, peas, potato, lentil, oatmeal...but no meat ingredients.

How is the handfeeding going ? Does he eat a lot ? You want to try to feed enough so his crop begins to balloon slightly (it will look like a small balloon directly under his 'chin'). The crop looks pretty full in your photo, so you must be doing OK.

If you feed baby food or crushed mung and seed mixed with water, the temperature of the mixture should be slightly warm...not hot, but just a little warmer than room temperature.

As long as the food you are feeding is wet, not dry, he will get enough hydration from that. There is not much need for additional water right now.

Other than that, just keep him warm and comfortable....he would still be being sat upon by a parent until his feathers come in more, so the air temperature around him should never get below 75 degrees F (23 degrees C). Being in India, I imagine it is quite warm there now, all night long ?

You say you have another Pigeon ? I am just wondering...not that it is needed now....but, do you have any Pigeon medications such as a wormer, or antibiotics such as Metronidazole or Baytril or Amoxycillin ? Or is any of this easily available in your area should you need to buy some ?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Oh, you can e-mail me (click on my username to the left and then click "send email") to discuss how to do a Soft Release process. I do not want to take up a lot of space here on your thread.

But around 8 weeks old is the youngest I would attempt to release. E-mail me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts