Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends parent found a baby blue jay. I took over and am hand feeding it with kaytee exact formula and crushed cat food. There is a small white scab looking thing in the corner of its mouth. Is this canker? the bird still has a big appitite and it is not in the back of the throat. Just the corner of the mouth. I don't know if it could be anyhting else and I dont want to medicate for canker if its not. Any advice. I can get pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
499 Posts
keep him full of kaytee,formula baby bird food,but why the crushed cat food.??.he might be too young for solids,.and watch this sore?? might need clavamox(canker?),.sincerely james waller

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crushed up cat food for the need of protein. mortel and pestoled till powder that gets very mushy when mixed and let soak in the kaytee mix. They found the bird near there boat and no nest nor parents could be found anywhere near. The flight feathers are just starting to break through. Its being kept in a dark box and the only human contact is during feeding so it can be released.
....About the sore. In the inside corner of his mouth(right where the fleshy part at the base of the beak meet there, but on the inside), there is a pin head sized white blemish. I do not have my camera, and am going to wait to open his mouth when I can take a picture not to handle him too much but on here I hear alot about canker, the pictures I have seem are not very similar, but it seemed to be maybe the start of it perhaps. I am not sure. I want to cure it early if it is something similar. Anyone know of anything that it could possible be. I know its going to need pictures.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
could it just be some dried food from what your folks are feeding him?? you could try to gently remove it with a wet q-ti. if it isn't i would lean more towards avian pox, which is also contagious make sure he isn't near our own birds and clean up his feeding utensils well preferably with chlorhexidine or at least dilute bleach.
there is no cure for pox but you can give him supportive care to prevent infection until the virus runs it's course.
hopefully it's not wet pox (internal) hopefully it's dry pox external. work on that pic, and keep an eye on it to see if more lesions show up on his head,feet or throat

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This baby bird is an omnivore, a member of the crow family and it's needs are very different from pigeons. A base diet of soaked puppy chow is good for starters and can be supplemented with boiled or scrambled eggs. Some fruits and vegetables can be added as well on a much lesser urgency. The soaked puppy chow needs to be offered in small bits and pushed to the back of the birds' throat in order for it to swallow it. Oftentimes, they won't swallow the food unless it's placed far enough back to the throat and might spit it out, making the care giver think it's not hungry or full.

The bird should be fed numerous times a day and around the daylight clock while watching that it's actually become full and not that the care giver is not feeding it correctly.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is deffinatly a scrub jay. We don't really have blue jays around here that I know of. Between the Kaytee mix, hard boliled egg yolk and the cat food for the meat portion I was told was the best before introducing ground meal worms and such.
I have had him 2 days now and he has perked up tremendiously. It is being fed about every hour.
I have some pictures but they did not come out very good so I took a video I am going to try and somehow post which shows the sore better. I Thought it was dried food at first to, but it is not crusty and has not gone away.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would discontinue the Exact. The moistened dry kitten food is good...hard boiled eggs...grapes cut up in small pieces...pieces of berries...baby applesauce, etc.

That yellow spot does look suspiciously like canker. Any rehabbers in your area?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
aww so cute, it doesn't really look like pox, and you can see it's eating into the flesh like trichmoniasis, i have never had a case of it anywhere but the throat.
can you get some flagyl or i know alot of people use spartix on here, it would be good if he could go to a rehabber

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well heres most of the situations like this going to go, down here, we need Terry and she is still about 2 hours from here and going by her last few posts I have read, she is extremely over whelmed. Any other wild life place like the wild life waystation just euthanises. They are over run as well. Is treatment for trichmoniasis igoing to harm the bird if it not diagnosed with that? I have one bird rehabber I could call but she mostly deals with unwanted peacocks down here. Any local help chain down here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow and I'll post it here and email you directly.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes...there's a California section. I'll go find it.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Gimpie, he is adorable. Just few suggestions.....

Pick a jar or two of Gerber #2 chicken or beef baby food. Using a 1 cc syringe, feed him about 3-4 syringes full at each feeding. Make sure you keep the baby food refrigerated and take out just the amount you will need for each feeding. You can use something like a shot glass. That way you don't contaminate the larger jar each time you dip the syringe in.

Songbirds need calcium. Usually fruit, like grapes or blueberries are sufficient but I sometimes crush a human sized calcium table or Tums tablet and dip the food in it then feed. Once a day should be enough. Songbirds are very prone to getting metabolic bone disease and this will prevent that happening.

Use a good quality cat/dog food pellet that has been soaked but is not mushy. We use Science Diet.

You mentioned "ground" meal worms. Don't know if you mean worms from the ground or not but whatever you do, don't feed them any worms from your yard or ground. You can usually pick up live mealworms at pet stores. For his size, I like to cut the heads off before feeding them.

His crop is located on the side of his neck. It needs to have a nice sized bulge after you feed him but not too large. They will continue to beg like crazy but you don't want to fill it too full.

Baby jays make the cutest sound when you are feeding them, don't they?

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
SCRUB JAYS eat nuts and they are fond of peanuts for this little gut you should feed unsalted nuts and peanuts. They also feed on insects.I had them at my feeders and would feed them peanut in the shell which they would bury them for later.They are a strong bird and fearless. I miss the pair that came to my feeding stations, I feel that they were victims of the WEST OF NILE VIRUS, as I have not seen them for two yearsGEORGE;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts