Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

My name is Joey - I'm British and live in Porcia, Northern Italy. Last week I found a fledgling pigeon really suffering with Pox and had been attacked by what I suspect was the neighborhood cats - she found shelter under my veranda and didn't move when I approached. On closer inspection it was clear she has Pox, and was severely lethargic, and bloody.

I took her inside, gave her a shallow bath in my deep sink to assess the damage, and once I refilled the sink with clean fresh water she literally dunked her entire face in the water to drink. Her wound was under her wing was about 4 inches long. Its now fully healed and the least of my concerns.

I managed to get the recommended antibiotics (Azitromicina here in Italy) and have been administering twice daily for the past week. The only thing that concerns me is that the pox are much much bigger, maybe 5 times the size.

I keep her cage and water spotless - clean it out twice a day and replace the water 4 times a day. Her right eye is now completely covered with the lesions and her left eye is quickly being covered. She has a huge pox/canker in her beak, and her beak is now scissored and can't close. I didn't know that this could be different from the pox (I am new to this, I have only ever rehabilitated healthy fledglings when I lived in the countryside) so I thought the antibiotic would do the trick. Apparently not. Last night the outer part of the mouth pox/canker seemed to detach a little, and I think in the next day or so it will fall off?

I have just ordered the pigeon vitality tablets for cankers and some pigeon multi vitamin. (It wasn't available anywhere locally so I will be waiting 1-3 days for international delivery from the UK).

She's not able to eat alone, and isn't interested in pecking any of the seeds. I am giving her vegan dog food kibble which is soaked in water - the first few days I blitzed it up and used a syringe to feed her, but now she is able to manage the wet kibble pieces if I introduce them to her beak so this seems like an improvement.

She's getting plenty of food and water, she's still taking the antibiotics - is there anymore I can be doing? She actually seems much healthier to look at in general, and is very alert and active in her cage. Her energy and personality has improved dramatically in this week and she seems 'happy' if that makes sense. The actual aesthetics of her face? Dramatic decline! My local pharmacist said the pox has to just run it's course and so long as she's getting food and water and the environment is clean, she should improve and that it will always look worse before it gets better.

Happy to accept any advice. The following items should arrive in the next few days.
- New Pigeon Vitality Tricoli-Stop tablets
- Dac Pox Cream 15g
- Pigeon Vitality MultiVitra Super concentrated 500g

(PS: All the local vets I called last week suggested I release her and she'll die naturally, which I refuse to do clearly)

By the way, her name is Baby Snuggles.

Thanks everyone! I'm a bit nervous about posting. I have read all the pox and canker threads but I haven't seen any pictures that look as bad as she does! If I can figure out how to upload pictures, I can show you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures (I think)

The first picture is her on the first day, in the sink.
The second pic was a few days ago. The lesions are slightly bigger now.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The penthouse

This is her current cage set up. There are lots of rags around because I couldn't clean the moss poles I'm using as perches and wanted to be able to keep everything clean. I'm changing these 2 times a day for infection control. I have a much bigger crate than this (these are for the dogs) but felt this would be okay for now?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good for you, thanks for taking care of this little soul.

Does sound like the pox is running its course and you seem to have it under control. Pox is supportive care only, but the Canker is serious. I'm glad you have medicine coming.

So if I understand you correctly, part of the Beak (mandible) is about to brake off?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to take a picture now. Her beak seems intact, but the lesion itself is separating. It's the only one which has started to dry - the others just seem to be ballooning and growing. She is not eating alone, but is tolerating me kinda opening her beak and placing the kibble inside. Yesterday for the first time she started to kinda peck at my hand between bites, so I suspected she was hungry. I tried to get her to peck alone but her beak is open because of the pox/canker and she couldn't or wouldn't.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics

Here are some current pictures. The growth inside the mouth has grown considerably - but hopefully you can see the pox that's kinda gone dark and separated a little. She's happy to hang out with me and she seems excited to see me when I'm close by.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very well, was worried that the beak was affected. The beak looks good. The twisting (scissoring) of the beak will most likely be corrected once she rids her self of the pox.

Do you see yellow masses in the back of her mouth when you force open her beak?

You mentioned giving kibble, is that cat food by some chance? Sounds like she needs to be hand feed and now more than ever she will need good nutrition. Marina usually weighs in on these threads and she has a graceful method of hand feeding peas to the bird, so I expect she will give you a helping hand there.

Good pics by the way

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, her front beak and throat are really blocked with the spongey yellow type growth. (impossible to get a picture as my husband is out of town and I need both hands to steady her and open the beak).

I actually just found that this canker is impacting her ability to feed, she can now only manage the food when its inserted on the left side of the beak. I can't wait for the medicine to arrive and annoyed with myself for not realizing pox and canker are different things.

I feel like I'm quite the pro at hand feeding the pigeons - this being the third Ive fed by hand. With Snuggles it's very tricky because of all the growths on her face - Happy to hear if there's a better way! Marina, I'm ready for any new information! :) (I fear that by this evening or tomorrow I might have to syringe feed again as the canker grows).

I tried peas, but because of the mass in her mouth they were too bulky to be swallowed. The kibble is a vegan dog food, which is soaked in water. The kibble pieces are small and disk shaped, almost flat, so she is able to swallow them. As the ingredients are all plant based I felt this would be fine based on my research (Dehulled Sunflower Seeds, Pea Protein Concentrate, Soybean Meal, Whole Dried Peas, Tapioca, Soybean Oil, Whole Dried Potatoes... etc)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually I under estimated you. Good job soldier. Don't be hard on your self. Its late for me, I'll check in tomorrow, keep us updated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics of the canker/pox - she just ate and seems to be breathing with more of an open mouth. It's absolutely huge and restricting her mouth a lot. I see online that the canker medicine I got seems to reduce in a day so I am hopeful it arrives with expediency!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Poor baby, thanks for rescueing her. The info you received is correct. The virus needs to run its course. The pox will eventually dry up and fall off. Her beak might be permanently disfigured, unfortunately.

I've read pox growths are more towards the front of the beak and canker towards the back. Unfortunately, antibiotics kills all the good bacteria in their system, and this will make the pox worse. But canker will kill her if not treated, so if you suspect she has it, then she will need treatment.

You can add apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Do this every second day, this will help prevent a yeast infection. Vitamins and probiotics will also help.

Pox inside the beak can be fatal, but only if the growths get so large that it starts covering her breathing hole and inteferes with breathing.

Do you have a scale? If so, weigh her every day to check for weightloss.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have a scale, she is gradually gaining every day. I haven't weighed her today but at the weekend she was 203g. I think she's only young still as her little fluffy feathers are still there.
I have ACV, and will start that today. I wish I had the medicine right now for the canker as its so large! I looked and looked for a place in Italy that sells it but no luck as far as I could find.
Thank you! I guess now I just wait for the medicine to arrive and hope she continues to fight!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just weighed her and she is at 199 - which is a small drop in the last 3-4 days. Should I just increase the amount of food I am giving her? I'm not sure how old she is or what she should weigh, but I don't like that she's shrinking!
The medicine for the canker and the multivitamins should arrive by the end of tomorrow according to my tracking! :) YAY!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just cleaned her cage out before I logged on - she seems to have pretty regular droppings, a mix of brown and white - when she first came to me they were green and liquid.

I will take some pics later on. I fed her with a syringe yesterday as the canker made it very tricky for her to eat, and she was choking a little bit on the kibble. I gave her more than usual until her crop was full looking.

Last night her breathing was very labored and I thought she was going to die - she snuggled up on a towel on my chest for 3-4 hours and then next to me in a towel nest on the sofa. She made it though the night and seems a little better today, breathing more regularly.

I just fed her again but with kibble, and she was able to manage it though she hates food time. She's really not drinking at all, even when I encourage her beak next to the water. The food is soaked in water for an hour so I think she's getting enough, I added a drop of ACV this morning to the mix as she isn't drinking. Hope that helps!

I weighed her this morning and she's not 230g - much better than yesterday!

Thanks for all your help! I'm so hopeful that she fights through.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh, also. The pox lesion next to her beak is still kinda hanging on - she's fussing with it a lot so I'm sure its not gonna be there long. The other lesions aren't doing much except growing - her right eye is completely obstructed and the left eye is very very limited vision, maybe 75% obstructed. Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I was too nervous to put any ointment on the ones next to her eye.

Also, The canker. Can you talk to me about the process when I give her the medicine? Will it fall out? Will she swallow it? Is there anything I should be doing? I see online videos of people removing them but honestly this one looks pretty stuck solid so I wouldn't want to attempt anything like that.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts