Pigeon-Talk banner

261 - 280 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
339 Posts
I hope you can get some tests done. I truly hope she can take the antibiotic and keep it down. Perhaps give her smaller feedings with baytril evenly mixed into the formula. You may not be able to dose her right at first, but I hope it will have an effect so she will keep her food and doses down in due time. Poor little thing :(

Does the abcess on the wing joint feel soft or hard? I ask as it may need to be carefully drained. I may be able to guide you through the process or your vet friend could. I was really hoping that the vet would have been able to prescribe bactrim/septra, or anything really. I also hope you have a good amount of bayril left over, as you will need a miminum of 7 days. A few days worth would do more harm than good if you can not continue without any more antibiotics as a short course would most likely create drug resistance.

It could be a reinfection of the same bacterium she had before. Rarely, a co-infection can occur like John said with other opportunistic bacterium or mycoplasmas that take advantage of a depressed immunity or inflammation. But I hope not. I also suggest garlic water as I mentioned previously in addition to the baytril. It works on many bacterium, even drug resistant strains.

Also, try to keep her very warm and calm. Perhaps a water bottle or a mild source of warmth she can have to snuggle upon if she chooses. She will definately need vitamins (with vitamin B12) and a bit of electrolytes, especially if she still has copius or persistant amounts of watery or loose droppings.

Reactions: Joeyspesh

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just be sure not to overdose with baytril. You will simply need to evenly divide her daily dose into multiple smaller doses in her formula feedings. I am praying she responds well to it and gets better soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Poor little thing has been through enough as Marina said :( I will be praying for her

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Thanks guys!
yes, I hope so too! Communicating with the lab is a bit tricky with the language barrier but I’m talking with the Uk office so hopefully it’s possible to get the info from them and just get the tests done here. She’s been struggling with toileting this past day, quite unusual.... today she passed what I thought was a big black worm but once I extracted it and washed it, it was a feather. I hope this might have been the cause for upset? The next feed I gave her she didn’t vomit at all! (First time in ages) not even gagging! She’s been happy as a clam ever since!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
oh and @jonrf she has a hot water bottle set up in her cage which she loves, a big one to sit on and a mini one leaning on the wall which she likes to rest her chest on! She loves to be toasty!
As far as Baytril goes, I found my dogs prescription last year so I have TONS! Enough for months and months and months so I’m happy. I’ve left 3 messages for the bet but no response, our region is in lockdown again but when I drove past there were 12 people in a socially distant line outside his place so I turned around and came back!
I had forgotten to mention that I removed the splint yesterday from her foot, and while the foot itself seems a little wonky on the ankle? Her toes are now placed correctly! Progress! I’ll take any good news I can get!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #267

Her angelic sleeping spot.... she likes the warmth all over! Hot water bottle under and she’s leaning on a baby hot water bottle. Ps. She hasn’t gagged or vomited since she passed that feather!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #268

Xena hasn’t gagged off vomited in two days, hurrah! (She does gag a little with the tube in as I’m feeding but that’s very quick, and I suppose understandable given she has something in her throat!) .... BUT ....

since the gagging and puking has stopped, she’s developed a new personality! Whenever she’s in her cage, she will peck me (hard, not sweetly) and wing slap me!!! She’s never done this before! I read online that pigeons get quite territorial about their “house”.... would this be typical for this type of behavior? When she’s out she’ll snuggle Oh my neck and be cute and sweet, I can touch her and be near her and she basically ignores me. Even if the dogs are around her she just ignores them! But it’s a different story when we approach her cage! She stands up very straight and puffs her chest up and cocks her head to the side and pecks and slaps! 😹😹It’s so strange because she’s never ever done anything like this!
At night she usually sleeps on her hot water bottle, but the last two nights she’s been perching on a moss pole I have very low in her cage (just a few inches off the ground) .... is she just growing up?
Hope everyone is okay! I wish I could see all your faces, thank you all so much for all the help and chat and support and encouragement you’ve given me since September! Such a lovely community!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
That's normal behaviour. Unfortunately they do change when they start maturing. It's also a good sign that she is healthy. Clean the cage when she is outside, also change the food and water when she is not in the cage. The cage is her territory.

Glad to hear she is doing well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
That's normal behaviour. Unfortunately they do change when they start maturing. It's also a good sign that she is healthy. Clean the cage when she is outside, also change the food and water when she is not in the cage. The cage is her territory.

Glad to hear she is doing well.
Thanks Marina! I’m glad she’s doing well enough to attack my poor hand then! 🤣

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am so, so relieved to hear she is improving! I was getting worried about her not hearing from you for a few days.

Yep, she is defending her nest space, in typical pigeon fashion, haha! Typical pigeon behavior, and like Marina said, it is a good sign of health and vigor.

Like feral pigeons, they will usually act different or even nice once in neutral territory. She may try to be cute and bond with you or the dog now, and once she falls in love she may act more aloof or defensive with strangers or who/whatever she hasn't bonded to. But if she bonds to you she will allow you close to her while laying in her cage, even for suggles. She is still young, so it may take a few months for her mature personality to fully take shape. You may have to provide calcium and vitamin D3 if she is indeed a female as she may lay an egg in a few months. If woodies are anyhing like feral pigeons, they are next to impossible to sex correctly based on appearance. Usually I have to wait a few good months to tell by behavioral clues. Males are usually more vocal and do display and courtship dances and are generally more aggressive and fiesty. Besides laying an egg, a genetic test can be done by sending a feather to a lab by mail to determine sex.

I hope and pray she will get completely past her infection. Sometimes, after treating salmonella/paratyphoid with antibiotics new boils or joint swelling can occur post resolution of the infection but they will subside in time and are not contagious. I will hope and pray for her to be able to get through this, and then be able to eat a normal healthy diet of leaves in time, and that her gut flora will restore to a healthy balance.

So glad and relieved she is doing better!! Yayyyy! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
A good pdf showing how to age woodies based on plumage. It mentions males have darker chests, but you will need to compare two woodies at the same age and season to tell.

(I did not get any email updates on your last posts so I assumed you didn't respond since my last post re that I hope she gets better. Smacks the pigeons.biz webserver*)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tell her to stop eating her feathers! Haha!!

How is her spot/boil on her wing doing? I hope it is going away. Did you start her on baytril again or not? If she passed her feather and is keeping her food down without antibiotics, then I would suggest to hold off on baytril for now, obviosuly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Tell her to stop eating her feathers! Haha!!

How is her spot/boil on her wing doing? I hope it is going away. Did you start her on baytril again or not? If she passed her feather and is keeping her food down without antibiotics, then I would suggest to hold off on baytril for now, obviosuly.
Yeh I sometimes don't get alerts, and just have to go through all the chat and see what's new!

I had started her on baytril but then she puked it up at every meal (the tablet portion is as small as 1/3 grain of rice but she apparently knows its there and will vomit until its up!) so I stopped giving it, if only to see if she would stop gagging, and she did indeed stop. I was going to start it again crushed in her food, but the boil on her shoulder had reduced again and there were no bubbles in her droppings so I made the decision not to give her the baytril after all. She has been doing so well, she won't accept more than 15ml of formula at a time, if I go even 1ml over that she will vomit up a small amount. So we are back to 10-15ml. I'm trying to listen to her behavior and actions and make decisions based on that. Hoping its the right call!

I wasn't on for a few days because I threw my back/hip out somehow, so I was just doing the absolute bare minimum. My husband was literally doing everything for me and the muscle relaxers made me a bit woowoo, so I felt it was best to stay off social media and the internet, lest I say something strange!

I found a lab here in Italy who will do the pigeon tests and sexing, but has to come from a vet. Hoping to get an appointment this week (no luck in the last fortnight!)

In other news, she makes the wood pigeon noise usually once a day, and it always corresponds with me or my husband leaving her view! Is she calling to us?

Ohhhhh! Thanks for the PDF, talking of plumage. A few weeks ago I noticed a tiny little feather mite on my hand after handling Cher. (The other feral pigeon I have with PMV) so I treated them both with the harkers drops - Im not sure they worked, Xena has the tell tale signs of feather mites on her tail feathers. I ordered a mite spray last month and it's still not here (It should arrive between Dec 22 and Jan 4).. is there anything holistic I could do to help with this? I gave Xena a little bath yesterday when I noticed it, and I couldn't tell if the debris in the sink was food/poop dust or mites. Sadly I didn't think to grab some and check under my microscope!

Today I was spending time with Xena on the couch and she flew up to the top of her cage! The first time she has flown up, and she landed like a pro! She doesn't fly much, only short distances, and she still have loose droppings because of the formula so Im not encouraging her to do more, just letting her fly whenever she wants! (No one needs droppings splattered all over their couch, I already have formula vomit to clean off the walls as she shakes her head with a beak full!)

@jonrf how's your health? I hope you're feeling better!

Hope you're all having a nice weekend! :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #275

This is what she looks like most of the night, she just loves to wedge herself between the brick and hot water bottle and rest her beak on her puffed up chest! Such a sweet girl!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
I wonder if her persistent feather eating is down to her deformed beak? More than once a day I’ll watch her preening, and then the feather is stuck in her beak, and she tried to remove it but ends up trying to swallow it instead. I rescued two quite large feathers today from her throat, just in the nick of time. The problem is I obviously can’t watch her all the time so she’s bound to keep eating them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
View attachment 96552
Xena hasn’t gagged off vomited in two days, hurrah! (She does gag a little with the tube in as I’m feeding but that’s very quick, and I suppose understandable given she has something in her throat!) .... BUT ....

since the gagging and puking has stopped, she’s developed a new personality! Whenever she’s in her cage, she will peck me (hard, not sweetly) and wing slap me!!! She’s never done this before! I read online that pigeons get quite territorial about their “house”.... would this be typical for this type of behavior? When she’s out she’ll snuggle Oh my neck and be cute and sweet, I can touch her and be near her and she basically ignores me. Even if the dogs are around her she just ignores them! But it’s a different story when we approach her cage! She stands up very straight and puffs her chest up and cocks her head to the side and pecks and slaps! 😹😹It’s so strange because she’s never ever done anything like this!
At night she usually sleeps on her hot water bottle, but the last two nights she’s been perching on a moss pole I have very low in her cage (just a few inches off the ground) .... is she just growing up?
Hope everyone is okay! I wish I could see all your faces, thank you all so much for all the help and chat and support and encouragement you’ve given me since September! Such a lovely community!

·
Registered
100 Posts
View attachment 96552

Oh yes they do change quite a bit as they mature trust me like you I was quite dismayed and surprised when Peter suddenly started becoming quite aggressive but it didn't take me long to discover this is quite normal behaviour for Pigeon's they do like to remind you what they see as belonging to them it's quite sad at first when you think to yourself where has my sweet loving fledgeling gone to but you just have to remind yourself that it's perfectly normal behaviour .🙂

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Oh yes they do change quite a bit as they mature trust me like you I was quite dismayed and surprised when Peter suddenly started becoming quite aggressive but it didn't take me long to discover this is quite normal behaviour for Pigeon's they do like to remind you what they see as belonging to them it's quite sad at first when you think to yourself where has my sweet loving fledgeling gone to but you just have to remind yourself that it's perfectly normal behaviour .🙂
it was literally one day to the next she started to peck at me and wing slap, lol! I was so shocked! 🤣 she isn’t doing it so much now, but it’s definitely only when she’s in the cage so I’m pleased it’s a territorial thing. She loves to lay on my chest and drop her wings in the evening, like a little melted pigeon shaped snowman who’s been in the sun! She just turns Into a blob when she’s relaxed! Hard to take a pic but it’s nice when she snuggles up in my neck and hair and falls asleep with tiny little peeps in her exhales!

261 - 280 of 366 Posts