Pigeon-Talk banner

321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
No progress. So ironic that this one hatched in my aviary, severe vitamin deficiency. The female did the incubating and feeding, dad was never involved (only in the mating). There are other health issues as well. Been handfeeding for 3 months now! I've ordered Trikanox, a natural treatment for canker and yeast. Hope this makes a difference. Here's a photo when baby was still small.

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, it’s with anything she’s vomiting. Formula, antibiotics, water, peas etc. it’s off and on for months now.He did say on Monday he’s going to call and check her progress and he’ll switch antibiotics if there’s no progress. I wish I could give her food and medicine via a drip or tube (not really, I just want her to be vomit free, for her mental health if nothing else! Can’t be nice going through this several times a day, every day!
Are you dosing nystatin as well??

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Are you dosing nystatin as well??
Hi John! I did 10 days of nystatin, there was no change during that time.
Oh Marina what a beautiful bird! How do you diagnose the vitamin deficiency? I have a rehabber friend in the UK who also has a young bird who can’t eat alone. I hope one of us has progress and can help the others out!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Today I’m gonna try 10ml at a time instead of 15/20ml.... followed by 2.5ml of water. I noticed she doesn’t seem to like feeling anything in her esophagus - so if I follow with water it seems to stop the gagging. She gagged with her antibiotics this morning (but couldn’t bring it up as it’s only 0.1 but when I gave her a little water after, she stopped gagging. I know everyone says not to syringe water because of the risk of aspiration but she never vomits water, only thicker liquids. I gave her the 10ml and water 5 mins ago and no gagging after the water was administered- maybe this is the key to stop the gagging which in turn will stop the vomiting!?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Baby became paralized when about a month old, couldn't walk or fly. Calcium deficiency. Toes started curling inwards, sign of vit B2 deficiency. Losing feathers around the beak, sign of Vit A or Vit B deficiency. Despite giving vitamins, no improvement. Difficulty swallowing, treated for canker with 2 different meds and for yeast but no improvement.

The mom had PMV when she was found. Thanks to this forum, I knew what was wrong with her and that she would improve with time and she did! She is my favourite!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Ah how lovely for the mum!
What’s going on with the baby now?
I’m checking in with the vet tomorrow about Xenas leg. It doesn’t look any better and the swelling hasn’t reduced... though it’s only been 4 days and medication takes almost that long to see improvements so I have been told.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
By the way, reducing the volume of formula seems to have stopped her vomiting! I’m happy about that, she gags a little but the water seems to stop it. Her droppings got quite wet this afternoon (which makes sense as I’ve increased her water) but I’ve finely ground seeds and added to her formula and that is helping her droppings firm up.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I've ordered Trikanox. It's a totally natural product for canker and yeast. Hopefully this will help as nothing else seemed to be working.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi Joeyspesh, I'm very glad to hear that finally you have an avian vet!
I hope Xena will feel better soon! She is a so lovely little fighter ❤ !

Could I ask you the name of your avian vet? He is the one located in Veneto I told you about and sent you the links? Or another one? If so, could you please give me all info (name, address, etc)?
As I have a home not far from Garda lake it would be very useful knowing the name of another avian vet (I know there is one even in Cremona but I don't remember his name...), just in case... As I told you, when I was in need I always found a vet and got meds but many vets don't have knowledge in birds...

Thanks so much 😊!

Give a cuddle to Xena from me 🤗.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
I've ordered Trikanox. It's a totally natural product for canker and yeast. Hopefully this will help as nothing else seemed to be working.
That name was ringing a bell for me, and I realized it was from a post on this forum where it says it’s a preventative rather than curative medication as it’s botanical based... (we were desperate in the beginning for Xena as I couldn’t get medication immediately, so I scoured this site and read every post I could).
Do you think the little love might be suffering with canker or yeast?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
@Marina B I tried a product at the beginning called tricolistop or something similar (pigeon vitality) and I didn’t notice any improvement at all... this claims to be 99% effective but it definitely didn’t make a difference to Xena (who had acute issues by then)

by the way I have managed to eliminate the vomiting altogether with Xena. I’ve found that the food needs to be room temperature (not warm) and only 10ml at a time. So strange she used to manage 20ml when she was a tiny little thing! Oh and I give about 0.5ml of water before and after each formula syringe. She doesn’t gag or vomit at all now except when the tube is actually depositing the formula in her crop. Phew! I wish we were close so we could combine our forces and figure this out more conclusively!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Hi Joeyspesh, I'm very glad to hear that finally you have an avian vet!
I hope Xena will feel better soon! She is a so lovely little fighter ❤ !

Could I ask you the name of your avian vet? He is the one located in Veneto I told you about and sent you the links? Or another one? If so, could you please give me all info (name, address, etc)?
As I have a home not far from Garda lake it would be very useful knowing the name of another avian vet (I know there is one even in Cremona but I don't remember his name...), just in case... As I told you, when I was in need I always found a vet and got meds but many vets don't have knowledge in birds...

Thanks so much 😊!

Give a cuddle to Xena from me 🤗.
Hi lovely! Sadly the details you gave me are impossible as we cannot travel to Veneto. I just found a site where you search avian vets worldwide and typed in Italy... many came up so they must have some closer for you. He is based in Palmanova so it’s about an hour east of me. I’ll try to find the website for you but I’m sure you’ll find it with a google search also!
she thanks you for the cuddle, she loves her affection! 🥰

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I'm combining the Trikanox with another round of Ronidazole. At least I can continue with the Trikanox when the antibiotics is finished. I'm sure she has canker, I just can't seem to get rid of it. The signs are there. Glad to hear your baby is doing better. Won't hurt to add just a little bit of Nystatin to her formula to keep the yeast under control.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Now, this is new advice to me! I was told nystatin had to be administered on an empty crop and never mixed with food or water. Can you let me know your thoughts on this?
I wonder if Xena is suffering with Canker too. I've just got the prescription for the new antibiotic so I should be able to pick up tomorrow (today is Ephinany so everything is closed!). Keep me posted on your progress. I just gave Xena a bath for the first time in ages - she was so dirty on her belly and especially towards her tail. She's clean and fluffy and dry now, also giving her leg a break from the bandage until my husband gets home to help me reapply it. Her leg is very dry so was thinking of using a little olive oil on them before I bandage them up.... do you think this would be okay?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now, this is new advice to me! I was told nystatin had to be administered on an empty crop and never mixed with food or water. Can you let me know your thoughts on this?
I wonder if Xena is suffering with Canker too. I've just got the prescription for the new antibiotic so I should be able to pick up tomorrow (today is Ephinany so everything is closed!). Keep me posted on your progress. I just gave Xena a bath for the first time in ages - she was so dirty on her belly and especially towards her tail. She's clean and fluffy and dry now, also giving her leg a break from the bandage until my husband gets home to help me reapply it. Her leg is very dry so was thinking of using a little olive oil on them before I bandage them up.... do you think this would be okay?
Hi there I sometimes use Olive oil on Peters feet and legs no problem just be careful not to get it on her feathers A couple of people on the forum recommended this to me sometime ago works a treat .

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The Nystatin can be given as a precaution to prevent yeast and to keep things moving in the crop. Someone that does rescue and raised a lot of babies told me once that she always add a bit of Medistatin (powdered Nystatin for pigeons) to the handraising formula.

I'm also sure I've read somewhere that the handraising formula can cause yeast because of the high sugar content. Mine has been on formula and peas for 3 months now. Problem is, that unless you see actual canker or yeast in the mouth and it's further down in the crop, it's difficult to distinguish what you are dealing with. If yeast is confirmed, then one needs to give Nystatin on an empty crop.

321 - 340 of 348 Posts