Pigeon-Talk banner

341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Xena has finally stopped gagging and vomiting, I think it’s a combination of the things I implemented which reduced the gagging and vomiting to almost never (flushing the esophagus with water before and after formula, room temp formula not warm and 10ml only at a time) and then since she’s been on the new medication it’s stopped 100%!
Her leg is sadly very strangely positioned and swollen, she had an X-ray and it’s not broken, so I’m just keeping it bandaged and hoping time will help her!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Well, Xena is making progress! Her leg is less swollen (although it’s still rather swollen none the less)... it’s still very strangely positioned but it’s not bleeding at all anymore. I’ve managed to bandage the “thumb” back to the natural position, and I think the toes are regaining some movement, let’s see!
As for her gagging/vomiting- I think it’s been at least 5 days or maybe more that she hasn’t gagged or vomited at all! Hoorah! And today, I managed to feed her without the water before and after. These are pretty big milestones! I’m gonna give her a week or so to make sure she’s stable, and plan to give her soft solids next week (peas, formula balls etc) and see how it goes!
she’s obviously being a sweetheart, besides her foot and feeding.... I’ve noticed she’s losing some bulk on her face on the side she’s blind (if I look at her straight on, that side is noticeably slimmer).. but she seems to be coping without the use of both eyes!

just in love with my little pal! 🥰

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, Xena is making progress! Her leg is less swollen (although it’s still rather swollen none the less)... it’s still very strangely positioned but it’s not bleeding at all anymore. I’ve managed to bandage the “thumb” back to the natural position, and I think the toes are regaining some movement, let’s see!
As for her gagging/vomiting- I think it’s been at least 5 days or maybe more that she hasn’t gagged or vomited at all! Hoorah! And today, I managed to feed her without the water before and after. These are pretty big milestones! I’m gonna give her a week or so to make sure she’s stable, and plan to give her soft solids next week (peas, formula balls etc) and see how it goes!
she’s obviously being a sweetheart, besides her foot and feeding.... I’ve noticed she’s losing some bulk on her face on the side she’s blind (if I look at her straight on, that side is noticeably slimmer).. but she seems to be coping without the use of both eyes!

just in love with my little pal! 🥰
Awww sweet little darling sooo happy she's making progress xoxo

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Awww sweet little darling sooo happy she's making progress xoxo
I’m hoping that her swelling goes down and her leg goes back to the natural position but I see pigeons with much worse issues on legs and feet so I think worst case, she’ll be fine with a wonky ankle!
we saw Cher on our morning walk today, she’a fully integrated with the flock now! 🥰

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #345

Update on Xena - she’s doing great! The leg is no longer swollen, though the foot is absolutely misshapen and there is no grip in her toes at all. I’m off to the vets next week to do another X-ray and talk about possible surgery to correct the leg, if needed. Fingers crossed!
As for everything else? She’s just being adorable of course! Last night she woke us up, randomly in the night with a giant pigeon coo! 😂 she looked at us and then went back to sleep, as per picture! She’s quite the character!

·
Registered
70 Posts
View attachment 96866
Update on Xena - she’s doing great! The leg is no longer swollen, though the foot is absolutely misshapen and there is no grip in her toes at all. I’m off to the vets next week to do another X-ray and talk about possible surgery to correct the leg, if needed. Fingers crossed!
As for everything else? She’s just being adorable of course! Last night she woke us up, randomly in the night with a giant pigeon coo! 😂 she looked at us and then went back to sleep, as per picture! She’s quite the character!
I'm sooo happy for her I was wondering about her recently sooo happy she's doing amazing xoxo

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Xena saw the avian vet again today, and this is his update! He basically said the same infection which made her blind in one eye, also caused the infection in her joints. Sadly, the infection was quite severe so the bone has now grown incorrectly (bigger than it should be and in the wrong direction) and now due to the difficulties the joint is fused and the claws are now immobile on that side. He said that the strange angle might cause the skin to callous as it grows more (which will just mean a wonky leg) or it might cause problems with broken skin/lesions and infections, in which case he will consider amputating the foot or the leg. But as she’s so young he said not to worry for a few months and just monitor her for now. He also wants me to encourage her to walk and fly/flap more, and lose a little weight! She’s 450g which is not easy for her wonky leg. All in all I’m happy! She is now off the antibiotics as the infection is clear, and as she’s not yet eating alone it will be easy to help her lose weight!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Xena saw the avian vet again today, and this is his update! He basically said the same infection which made her blind in one eye, also caused the infection in her joints. Sadly, the infection was quite severe so the bone has now grown incorrectly (bigger than it should be and in the wrong direction) and now due to the difficulties the joint is fused and the claws are now immobile on that side. He said that the strange angle might cause the skin to callous as it grows more (which will just mean a wonky leg) or it might cause problems with broken skin/lesions and infections, in which case he will consider amputating the foot or the leg. But as she’s so young he said not to worry for a few months and just monitor her for now. He also wants me to encourage her to walk and fly/flap more, and lose a little weight! She’s 450g which is not easy for her wonky leg. All in all I’m happy! She is now off the antibiotics as the infection is clear, and as she’s not yet eating alone it will be easy to help her lose weight!
Awww little pigeon steps she's come sooo far and is doing sooo amazing

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #350

does anyone else have a pidge who stretches like this? She stays this way for up to 3 minutes at a time, just casually hanging around with a wing up!! 😂I’m not concerned about it, just curious!
Also, she’s flying more and more.... she isn’t really able to land sadly and keeps bashing into things so I’m putting her on cage arrest most of the day. She tries to fly high and then falls down, the last thing i want her to do is break a leg or wing! I came back from putting laundry away this week in the bedrooms to find her gone from her cage (she hangs out on top) and my dogs also gone. As I peek in the kitchen? There she is on the floor, my dog Nemo keeping a close eye on her! Our other dog Floyd soon joined the watch!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Pigeons hold the wings like that when they get exposed to sunlight. It's like they are trying to get the maximum exposure and absorb as much sunlight as they can. She is looking good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
View attachment 96972
does anyone else have a pidge who stretches like this? She stays this way for up to 3 minutes at a time, just casually hanging around with a wing up!! 😂I’m not concerned about it, just curious!
Also, she’s flying more and more.... she isn’t really able to land sadly and keeps bashing into things so I’m putting her on cage arrest most of the day. She tries to fly high and then falls down, the last thing i want her to do is break a leg or wing! I came back from putting laundry away this week in the bedrooms to find her gone from her cage (she hangs out on top) and my dogs also gone. As I peek in the kitchen? There she is on the floor, my dog Nemo keeping a close eye on her! Our other dog Floyd soon joined the watch! View attachment 96973
View attachment 96974 View attachment 96975 View attachment 96976
Awww those pictures are precious. The dogs have bonded with her sooo sweet. I hand raised a pidge 20yrs ago and he was the animal of the house lol the cat merely wen to introduce himself and he got shown who was boss lol and as for the dog well we had a pitbull cross and he would let the bird piggy back a ride on his back across the backyard. We used to find cheep sun bathing on the deck enjoying the sun on sunny days. When everyone wanted in they would all line up behind the bird it was the cutest thing

·
Registered
100 Posts
View attachment 96972
Also, she’s flying more and more.... she isn’t really able to land sadly and keeps bashing into things so I’m putting her on cage arrest most of the day. She tries to fly high and then falls down, the last thing i want her to do is break a leg or wing! I came back from putting laundry away this week in the bedrooms to find her gone from her cage (she hangs out on top) and my dogs also gone. As I peek in the kitchen? There she is on the floor, my dog Nemo keeping a close eye on her! Our other dog Floyd soon joined the watch! View attachment 96973
How wonderful beautiful pictures she's looking really good 🙂

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm very happy to see that Xena is doing better, Joy 😊 !

Lovely pics 😍! Even my beloved cat Kira loved to spend time with my birds. When she died, for a while my blind pigeon Geordi did not want to stay on the sofa because Kira was not there.

My birds stretch the wing like that even when they take a bath or.... also when they take a "virtual bath". Sometimes when one of my birds is taking a bath into the water bowl and splashes water everywhere, another bird sits next to the bowl and stretches the wing like that...virtual bath lol 😅.
I noticed that in the pic Xena is sitting next to a cup of water. Probably she was taking too a "virtual bath" 😉. The cup was too small for a "real bath". Maybe she also splashed some water with her beak.

Lol years ago we had a water leak in the apartment, it literally rained from the ceiling so I had to put a bucket. Well, my pigeon Marshall often tried to perch on it to take a shower... It was a funny scene because he lifted/stretched his wings under "the rain" (you know, like the feral pigeons on street lamps while it's raining) ... Of course, I had to chase him away because the water was not exactly clean 😅...

Give a cuddle to Xena from me 🤗.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
View attachment 96972

·
Registered
100 Posts
View attachment 96972

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Pigeons hold the wings like that when they get exposed to sunlight. It's like they are trying to get the maximum exposure and absorb as much sunlight as they can. She is looking good.
It’s funny because there was certainly no sunshine in there! But the window is quite bright at that time of day, even in the cold grey February days! It’s so sweet and like to see her looking so pretty and content! How’s your little one? Did she start eating yet? Xena isn’t eating but she tolerates seeds and leaves (lettuce, kale, rocket etc) all day long! So I’m just hopeful that means soon she’s gonna start eating!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Lovely pics 😍! Even my beloved cat Kira loved to spend time with my birds. When she died, for a while my blind pigeon Geordi did not want to stay on the sofa because Kira was not there.

My birds stretch the wing like that even when they take a bath or.... also when they take a "virtual bath". Sometimes when one of my birds is taking a bath into the water bowl and splashes water everywhere, another bird sits next to the bowl and stretches the wing like that...virtual bath lol 😅.
I noticed that in the pic Xena is sitting next to a cup of water. Probably she was taking too a "virtual bath" 😉. The cup was too small for a "real bath". Maybe she also splashed some water with her beak.

Lol years ago we had a water leak in the apartment, it literally rained from the ceiling so I had to put a bucket. Well, my pigeon Marshall often tried to perch on it to take a shower... It was a funny scene because he lifted/stretched his wings under "the rain" (you know, like the feral pigeons on street lamps while it's raining) ... Of course, I had to chase him away because the water was not exactly clean 😅...

I second that. That’s exactly what my pigie does when she sees water or even hear water splash sound. This is a sign of good health. I’m happy that Xena feels better

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #360

That makes sense @Colombina because she has reactions to water, even though she doesn’t touch it! For example, that water was next to her all day, and Xena shakes her head as if she’s drank (she doesn’t) so I wonder if she had phantom bath feelings! The last time she put her beak near water was September, even since then she’s avoided it like the plague, the bowl you see in the pic she likes to sit next to for some reason but she won’t touch it!

those pictures are adorable! People are so shocked when they see unlikely pairings, but for me it just shows how amazing animals are! I think it’s even more unusual for a bird to allow a pigeon to snuggle up, when we imagine they should want to eat them!

aren’t we lucky!

341 - 360 of 366 Posts