Pigeon-Talk banner

121 - 140 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Poor little thing she certainly has been through a hell of a lot is she drinking okay ? Have you thought what her future is going to be when she's fully mature are you going to keep her or try and release her back to the wild?i know it can be very tricky when you've been hand rearing such a young Pigeon for such a long length of time to return them back to nature it might be a very good idea to have a word with Marina b regarding this when you feel the time is right the lady is so knowledgeable. I made the decision to make a life time commitment to Peter after researching what I should consider about his future I quickly learnt that it's not so easy just to release them back to nature they learn so much from their parents in their early days regarding how to survive. And I'm sure there must be a very strong bond between the two of you by now as well which is a wonderful thing . Having said that I'm not at all sure if things might be slightly different with wood pigeons as Peter is a feral and feral pigeons are semi domesticated making them very comfortable around people . How is her right eye looking any improvement ?
By the way, her right eye is for sure blind, (confirmed by the vet) the other is good though! It has some fibrous cell on the actual eyeball from the pox, but it seems to be reducing! This was last week and there’s less white/cloudy areas so I think it’s regenerating. The eye drop antibiotics really saved her sight, because her whole eye was milky/blue green until we used them!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
yes, thats nystatin, treats fungi.
Probiotic also

I'll say it again: Good Job!
Thanks John! I understood that to mean exactly what you clarified. I’m using these supplements with her as well as b12 and milk thistle which aren’t pictured! The plan is to load her up with everything she needs to recover and grow big and strong!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Ps. I ordered that Nystatin, thank you for the clarification! She continues to gag/try to puke when she eats, even though I’ve reduced the volume by 1/3.... i think she’s struggling after being on the baytril so long, I hope the nystatin makes a difference! For now I just stay with her after she eats and don’t let her puke.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
In my big aviary I have a few handraised pigeons, too tame for release. Then doves, starlings and weavers which all can't fly due to injuries. The 1 starling I handraised and released him a while ago. For 4 days he sat on the roof of the aviary looking miserable. Then I caught him again and he was so happy to be back with the others. So freedom is not always the best choice.

The other part of the aviary has a few feral pigeons and ex racing pigeons that arrived here and just moved in. This part can open so they can free fly outside and return again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Oh how lovely! I want an aviary, but as we are military we move around a lot, i darent get a lot of rescues that I’m in a pickle with when we have to leave Italy! Xena will be our pet forever, but Cher I’m hoping will get to a sanctuary if she can’t be released. Because she has PMV and is so contagious I don’t spend as much time with her, hoping she has a chance to be a wild pigeon one day! We will see!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Xena is looking so pretty and fluffy at the moment? I’m trying to teach her to eat but she just can’t seem to figure it out, she pecks but never swallows! She just plays with them. Maybe when she gets a bit bigger she’ll want to eat seeds instead of have a party with them 😂😂 - but all in all? She’s doing so well! Preening alllll day long, and today she took her first solo flight across the room, when I was out getting firewood. I left her in one spot and came back to her the opposite side of the room so she not only managed to fly, but land! Yay!

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 96359 Xena is looking so pretty and fluffy at the moment? I’m trying to teach her to eat but she just can’t seem to figure it out, she pecks but never swallows! She just plays with them. Maybe when she gets a bit bigger she’ll want to eat seeds instead of have a party with them 😂😂 - but all in all? She’s doing so well! Preening alllll day long, and today she took her first solo flight across the room, when I was out getting firewood. I left her in one spot and came back to her the opposite side of the room so she not only managed to fly, but land! Yay!
Isn't she beautiful 👍🏻
She's really starting to look like a proper little wood pigeon now

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
You can play with the seeds by using your fingers. Push the seed around with your finger. This will hopefully get her interested. The ones I've raised, always started eating the red sorghum seeds first. They also love hemp seeds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I have tried everything, like I said, she just plays with them. (She will pick them up in her beak but won't swallow). I can't give hemp as we are military, but I have tried all others and its the same. I am hopeful she will get bigger and change her mind!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I can’t believe how big she is now! I’m going to treat her for candida today as she’s doing a lot of gagging... i hope it helps! Does anyone know the dosage for Nystatin, based on her current weight of 382g? I don’t wanna get it wrong!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Every new picture we see of her there is a significant change so wonderful to see her thriving 382 g wow 👍🏻🙂

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
They need 30 000 units for every 100 gr birdweight. Usually there's a 100 000 units per ml, you can just check the strength.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Given for 5 to 7 days, sometimes up to 10 days. Let us know if there's an improvement after a couple of days. Also give twice a day on an empty crop. Wait half an hour before feeding or drinking.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Thanks Marina! So i will give her 1.15ml twice a day. I just have her the first dose, I hope she stops gagging! That’s the only thing I can think it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Every new picture we see of her there is a significant change so wonderful to see her thriving 382 g wow 👍🏻🙂
Given for 5 to 7 days, sometimes up to 10 days. Let us know if there's an improvement after a couple of days. Also give twice a day on an empty crop. Wait half an hour before feeding or drinking.
So Xena has the nystatin last night, this morning and tonight. I always give it 45 mins before her meal. Tonight was the first time she hasn’t retched (yet)... fingers crossed it’s starting to clear up! How will I know if it should be 5 or 7 days Marina?

121 - 140 of 225 Posts