Pigeon-Talk banner

141 - 160 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
So Xena has the nystatin last night, this morning and tonight. I always give it 45 mins before her meal. Tonight was the first time she hasn’t retched (yet)... fingers crossed it’s starting to clear up! How will I know if it should be 5 or 7 days Marina?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Rather give for 7 days to be sure, till the swallowing problems are gone. You can give for up to 10 days if necessary. Thereafter, acv in the drinking water twice a week will keep the yeast from recurring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Rather give for 7 days to be sure, till the swallowing problems are gone. You can give for up to 10 days if necessary. Thereafter, acv in the drinking water twice a week will keep the yeast from recurring.
Thank you! 🥰

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

Awesome news! The little stubborn pox from inside Xenas beak, (sticking out in the pic where she’s snuggled up) was a little loose today, so I gave it a wipe with TCP and it came right out! (Sorry, grosse! But so interesting!) she’s now got a little hole where it was, but that’s officially the last of the pox!
I can’t believe she’s the same girl! I’m so happy, she’s doing so well! Thank you all for the help and support.... 🥰 I’ll keep sharing pics as she grows up and transforms into a beautiful pigeon!

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
311 Posts
So glad she is recovering well!!!

Her improvement is great! As far as the eye is concerned, this may take some time to heal, or it may be permament unfortunately, depending on involvement or damage. She is young so she should heal quickly! :)

Reactions: Joeyspesh

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Has her swallowing improved on the Nystatin?
well Marina, yes and no! I think perhaps she is now growing up to hate the tube feeding.... it seems behavioral because it seems to be the tube that makes her gag now. Yesterday she gagged when she saw the syringe! (I’ve tube fed her since mid September without any problems, so it’s so strange that she hates it so much now, but I’m taking that as a good sign that she will be more motivated to try to eat!) the gagging has reduced for sure, but not stopped just yet.

i haven’t noticed any chance in her droppings, I wanna start giving her seed again but I’m being patient. I don’t want to put her off them, or associate them with the gagging... so I’m waiting until the gagging stops and she’s off the meds. I actually think it might be easier for her to eat now the mass in her beak is gone!

as far as the seeds, I got a more exciting/varied pigeon mix, just for her to play with. Wherever she is I’ll sprinkle a little amount on a towel, and she typically pecks at them on and off all day. She chatters them in the tip of her beak, and then drops them. It’s not like she is seed tossing as such, just unable to figure out how to get them into her beak. In the last month I’ve watched her eat one tiny black seed and I think that was a fluke! 😂

I’ll keep you posted on the Nystatin!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
So glad she is recovering well!!!

Her improvement is great! As far as the eye is concerned, this may take some time to heal, or it may be permament unfortunately, depending on involvement or damage. She is young so she should heal quickly! :)
Hi! What are you referring to with her eye?

the eye that’s blind, I understand from the vet has no chance of change...

The other eye? Seems to be getting better in a really tiny way, when I study the pictures! I notice she rubs her face on her shoulder a lot, which often irritates the membrane around her eye that ripped when the pox came off. It looks great some days and quite irritated on other days. She’s growing tiny little feathers in the bald spots that were covered in pox, so I’m pretty pleased at her healing already! I’ll try and find pics of her eyes during the process so maybe you can see the healing too!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Hi! What are you referring to with her eye?

the eye that’s blind, I understand from the vet has no chance of change...

The other eye? Seems to be getting better in a really tiny way, when I study the pictures! I notice she rubs her face on her shoulder a lot, which often irritates the membrane around her eye that ripped when the pox came off. It looks great some days and quite irritated on other days. She’s growing tiny little feathers in the bald spots that were covered in pox, so I’m pretty pleased at her healing already! I’ll try and find pics of her eyes during the process so maybe you can see the healing too!
Found some! Okay so the first is after part of the pox fell off, and her eye was unobstructed. (It was covered for a good few weeks and looked terrible before this! As you can see, her eye was completely cloudy. At this point I was concerned she was blind and took her to the vets, the antibiotic drops did the trick and the cloudiness started to dissipate! The second picture is when she managed to rip the pox off (a few days after) hence the rip in the eyelid. The third picture was a little while later and I felt the eyelid was going to heal really nicely. At that point the cloudiness was almost gone entirely,... but sadly that’s the best it’s looked since! More often than not the eyelid where it’s ripped is red and inflamed. I’ll try and get a good picture today in the sunlight!
The vet had said that the good eye might one day regenerate, but he felt it was just fibrous cells on the eyeballs, and wouldn’t interfere with her vision. She seems to do really well.
Let me know if you (or anyone) have any further input about her eyes! 🥰

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
So many updates, sorry for the overload!
I decided to try her with peas today. I thought something with a shape but is soft would perhaps be easier than seeds ... she had 13 peas before she got fed up, (i fed her but she started to refuse) and then shortly after she vomited 5 up. Im not going to continue with the peas.... I’ll see if the 7 days of nystatin stops the vomiting.

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
311 Posts
So many updates, sorry for the overload!
I decided to try her with peas today. I thought something with a shape but is soft would perhaps be easier than seeds ... she had 13 peas before she got fed up, (i fed her but she started to refuse) and then shortly after she vomited 5 up. Im not going to continue with the peas.... I’ll see if the 7 days of nystatin stops the vomiting.
If there is a yeast overgrowth in the crop or proventriculus, the nystatin will definately help. The swelling will subside if there was a lesion interfering with digestion. Maybe she is not accustomed to peas, and was overstuffed. She looks remarkably better and the cloudiness in the eye should go away over time. Make sure she is receiving a little vitamin E and C in her vitamins as this helps with eye damage. Like I said earlier, she is quite young and will heal and recover much more quickly than an older pigeon. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
If there is a yeast overgrowth in the crop or proventriculus, the nystatin will definately help. The swelling will subside if there was a lesion interfering with digestion. Maybe she is not accustomed to peas, and was overstuffed. She looks remarkably better and the cloudiness in the eye should go away over time. Make sure she is receiving a little vitamin E and C in her vitamins as this helps with eye damage. Like I said earlier, she is quite young and will heal and recover much more quickly than an older pigeon. :)
She’s been gagging/retching for almost a week now, with everything. She tries to bring the formula up but can’t because it’s liquid, I think the only reason she brought the peas up is because they are solid. (She was bringing up seeds too before I stopped giving any solids).

It’s strange because she was managing peas and seeds for almost a month.

I’m sure she wasn’t overstuffed, her crop was empty and she only had 13 peas - she used to have double that.

She was on baytril for more than a month for the salmonella so I am just hoping she has candida in her crop and that’s the reason for gagging?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Just wondering: For how long did you treat her for canker? Have you checked inside her beak lately? Use a flashlight and check deep inside the throat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I check her for canker every few days, with a flashlight. I’m really on the ball about that given her beak and throat were so ghastly for the first few months.

thankfully now her mouth and throat is perfect and pink inside. She had spartrix and aciclovir for several weeks to combat the pox and canker and it worked wonders!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

She also has a spot on her head next to her ear that if I tickle, she yawns REALLY wide and I can see right into her mouth and throat! Apart from a little dried formula on the corner of her mouth once in a while she’s all good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #156

she’s definitely gagging less today... but it seems to be the tube that induces it, not the food. I’ll take that as a good sign. I wonder if anyone else has experience with apigeon that was very sick and needed to be tube fed for months. I would love to hear they can learn to eat again!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
That's quite a big mouth for such a young baby....:) Maybe you should try the peas again. They learn so quickly to eat the peas by themselves. Feed her a few in the morning, then tease her by holding the pea between your fingers in front of her. She might start pecking and just end up grabbing one and swallowing it. Then you can start leaving some peas with her and add some small seeds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
That's quite a big mouth for such a young baby....:) Maybe you should try the peas again. They learn so quickly to eat the peas by themselves. Feed her a few in the morning, then tease her by holding the pea between your fingers in front of her. She might start pecking and just end up grabbing one and swallowing it. Then you can start leaving some peas with her and add some small seeds.
She can’t even pick a tiny weeny seed up, let alone a pea! She’s also ZERO percent interested in them... even when I’m fussing with them and trying to get her interested. She will peck at seeds but only when she’s sassy, she doesn’t seem to understand it. I’m just gonna be patient. When I hold the food in my fingers (seeds or peas) she ignores them 100%. She’ll often turn her head or her body! In the morning I try really hard to get her to peck at seeds as I assume she’ll be hungry but she is never hungry, noticeably! She just sleeps or preens!

I have her two sunflower hearts today in her beak (forceably, she’s not consenting at all) and after 20 seconds or so she gagged until she got them up. She’s just not tolerating anything solid at all... i can’t quite figure it out!

Is there a way to add videos on here? Because I’m happy to record it. I feel like it’s probably hard for others to know how persistent I am! I hand fed two fledglings last summer and they got it almost immediately. Xena has yet to master it! But her mouth was so impacted by the pox so I think she just needs a little more time and help! I’m open to trying anything that might help her if you have any other ideas about encouraging her?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

Just an example of how uninterested she is in food. So it’s about time to feed her (she should be hungry it’s been about 5.5 hours and her crop is empty).... i sprinkled a small thimble full of seeds by the book on the towel, and she just stood on top of them, snuggled next to the book listening to Led Zepellin 😂 she then lost interest and went up to a higher spot so I put some seeds on the white flannel - she just stepped right over them as if they were invisible. By the way, she can definitely see them! She pecks at them when she wants to, and doesn’t have trouble focusing in and pecking them/chattering them in her beak. I just think she doesn’t care about food for some reason.

141 - 160 of 225 Posts