Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have been raising a European house sparrow for about 4-5 days and just today he died. When I found him he was about 8 days old. I’ve feed him a baby pigeon formula and sometimes chicken cat pellets soaked in water, but mostly the formula. Anyone know what happened?
Bird Hand Beak Finger Safety glove

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I think at that age they only need the soaked catpellets. A high protein diet. Can you remember what his last droppings looked like? Did you feed him every 2 hours during daytime? Every time you feed him, he should have produced a dropping ( brown and a white part).

·
Registered
22 Posts
White and brown poop, yes it was, I usually find more at this time of year, a lot younger, like 2-3 days old young. Should I give them the cat pellets at this young age? and also I fed him every 4 hours because he is a much older bird i fed him larger amounts though then a younger baby.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Yes, I think they only need catpellets at this age. I will need to double check, but I'm sure the parents only feed them insects while in the nest. There's another forum called Starlingtalk that focus more on sparrows and starlings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts