Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have a a spotted dove rescued from my backyard when it was still very young and and raised it until she almost got all of her spots on around her neck. I'm assuming that she is at the age of leaving her nest and finding food for herself because when she is in her cage, she constantly flies into the bars trying to get out (this ruins her feathers and breaks them). She would sometimes fly into my glass door to try and fly out and into my backyard. I have a dog that constantly chase and kill these types of birds for fun and i'm afraid she won't be able to take care of herself if i do release her. The thing is, th reason why i think she wants to leave badly is because there are plenty of her type in my backyard which gives me hope that she would learn from them and learn to know what to avoid and what to eat, where to sleep etc.

What do you guys think? should i release her or not?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
How old is she now? Is she able to eat all sorts of seeds? Do you feed the other doves in your garden? Best will be to keep her outside in a small aviary for her to getting used to being outdoors and familiarize herself with the area. Leave food for the wild doves where she can see them come down to eat.

I always keep the pigeons I raise till they are about 2 months old. But then I have a large aviary where I can keep them and I also put out food for the wild pigeons. The parents teach their young where to find food, so you will have to provide her with a backup regarding that.

When you release her, keep your dog inside the house for a couple of days.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
How old is she now? Is she able to eat all sorts of seeds? Do you feed the other doves in your garden? Best will be to keep her outside in a small aviary for her to getting used to being outdoors and familiarize herself with the area. Leave food for the wild doves where she can see them come down to eat.

I always keep the pigeons I raise till they are about 2 months old. But then I have a large aviary where I can keep them and I also put out food for the wild pigeons. The parents teach their young where to find food, so you will have to provide her with a backup regarding that.

Good advice^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Thank you so much for the reply!
I got her on the 4th od december 2016 and she pretty much like this:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...UICCgB&biw=1680&bih=920#imgrc=og0I6WurbqGu7M:

She eats only budgey seed mix as my pet store advise me to feed her and i do feed the other doves.

My mum decided we should just keep her as we went through so much touble getting her a cage and my dad would be furious if we released her, as he thinks we wasted all his time looking for a cage and all.

My spotted dove, Kai, is afraid of me but isn't at the same time... She's fine being close to me (as in sitting on my computer screen while i'm on my computer) but whenever i put my hand close to her she'll huff and puff, showing me a sign of fear and most likely bite hard. I don't understand why she is so scared of me as she was extremely attached to me as a baby. The on part of me she's willing to sit on is my head. Although she doesn't mind me telling her to step up, she'll stretch her head up and look at the top of my head and fly right back up. I'll try to get her off multiple times and soon when my hand barely reaches my waist, she's already up on my head again. She also sometimes flies on and off of my head a ton of times. Again, no idea why.

I have a rainbow lorikeet as well and i have a feeling because at one time i was afraid that my lorikeet was plucking, i spent more time with him and less time with Kai. Is that the reason why she is so afraid of me now? This is upsetting to me because not only she wants to leave home so badly (and i can't release her), she's afraid of me. She used to be so attached to me... What can i do to get her to stop being so scared of me? Since i have a parrot as well, i have to spend time with him as well and he'll get jealous that i'm spending more time with Kai in which may result to him plucking. They're are not a fan of being near eachother, but is there a way to get them to like eachother or at least know that my parrot shouldn't be jealous of my dove? If there is a reason, that'll make my bonding with Kai as well as my lorikeet so, so much easier.

P.S: She is also afraid of water. She will not bathe for the life of her. What can i do to encourage her to bathe and that bathing is nothing to be afraid of?

Thank you again so much and i will be looking forward to your reply!

Edit: I just remembered a very upsetting accident that had happened between me and Kai that is probably 99.99% chance that it is the reason why she is so scared of being on my hand, Waist height.
So i had a high fever at that time and i was recovering. I was pretty much all good so i decided to help my mum clean some vegetables. As i was cleaning, i felt tired (fatigue wise) and i told my little brother to take over as i rest. As i was resting i decided to take Kai into the kitchen with me and had her on my hand, waist height (i was standing, not sitting). I then felt extremely dizzy (most likely from my really bad fever) and before i knew it, i was on the floor. To my horror, my little brother told me i had landed on Kai and i freaked. She couldn't fly properly but, to her luck and to my relief, she recovered and was all better. Know that i think about it, that incident makes a lot of sense to the reason why she always flies on my head and refuses to be on my hand. Sorry for this long reply as well... I'm just very worried for Kai and my parrot as i barely have time to be with both of them for an equal amount of time each when i'm a year 11 student. It's always, 'I'm with my parrot more than being with Kai because she does not like being on my hand and that my parrot gets jealous and may pluck when i'm with her.' I'm seriously thankful for people like you who have the knowledge to help people like me. Seriously, thank you so much and i'm looking forward to your reply!!

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Don't think your parrot and the dove will eventually like each other, just one of those things. Just never ever put them in a cage together, cause the parrot might just seriously hurt her.

Pigeons and doves like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. You can mix this in with her food and once she gets a taste for it, offer her some in your hand. They don't view our hands as part of us, so maybe that's why she's afraid of your hands. If she's comfortable sitting on your head, just let her be for now. You can put a mirror in her cage, this will help keeping her company. If you are going to keep her, best will be to get her a companion. Another rescued dove will be perfect, preferably a female. Yours might turn out a male and 2 males won't get along.

If you are going to keep her indoors, she will need vitamins especially calcium with Vit D3. She will reach maturity at about 4 months, and if a female will start laying eggs. The calcium will help prevent future problems like getting eggbound. They also like some greenery, you can give small pieces of chopped up spinach.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Doves don't like bathing as much as pigeons do. They however do like to lie on wet sand to cool down, especially on very hot days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't think your parrot and the dove will eventually like each other, just one of those things. Just never ever put them in a cage together, cause the parrot might just seriously hurt her.

Pigeons and doves like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. You can mix this in with her food and once she gets a taste for it, offer her some in your hand. They don't view our hands as part of us, so maybe that's why she's afraid of your hands. If she's comfortable sitting on your head, just let her be for now. You can put a mirror in her cage, this will help keeping her company. If you are going to keep her, best will be to get her a companion. Another rescued dove will be perfect, preferably a female. Yours might turn out a male and 2 males won't get along.

If you are going to keep her indoors, she will need vitamins especially calcium with Vit D3. She will reach maturity at about 4 months, and if a female will start laying eggs. The calcium will help prevent future problems like getting eggbound. They also like some greenery, you can give small pieces of chopped up spinach.
What are some calcium foods i can give her? How can i get her to eat some?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
You can buy the liquid calcium at petshops. If there's not one close to you, maybe you can search online for it. Best will be the calcium that you add to the drinking water, just follow the instructions on the bottle. Also make sure there's added Vit D3, that helps the body absorb the calcium. If she does spend time outside in her cage in the sun, (not sunlight through a window) she will need less as the sunlight supply her with Vit D3.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What are some calcium foods i can give her? How can i get her to eat some?
Make sure you give her vitamin D3 as well as calcium as they can't absorb the calcium without the d3. I use the calcium powder in their seed, and vitamin d3 in liquid form in their water. It took some trial and error to find what my two liked, so you may have to try a few different things. I order the supplements from amazon. Make sure to offer grit as well. On a side note, you might try lettuce as a treat if your guy does not like spinach. Just remember to cut it up for him. Sunflower seeds are almost always a hit.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
We use calciboost, aka calcivet which you can get online from a parrot store fairly cheaply. I just mix it with water and give them that for water a few times per week as it has calcium and d3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts