Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I'd weighed this guy when he was born because I simply can't get over how fast he is growing! He will be a week old tomorrow and is definitely 5 times the size he was when he hatched. It's unreal! Since his sibling died, he is receiving the nutrition of two babies, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Ok, I have one question though, and that's about his eyes. This glow is NOT from the camera. When I peer through the aviary bars, I can see his little eyes glowing if he's got them open. They really glow like this. Exactly like this, all the time, in low light or high light, they glow pink. Is this normal for a white baby dove, or is this what albino eyes look like?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I hope someone has a answer and I would get that checked out just to know about it. c.hert. Beautiful baby and like you say large and looks like its going to be a total white and maybe Albino is the reason but I don't know....c.hert

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both his mom and dad are pure white (I believe both were released at Easter as dove releases, instead of using white Homers as you're supposed to, since both ended up on my doorstep a week after Easter in 2009 and 2010), so I am not surprised he is pure white. But they have normal deep reddish dove eyes and as you can see this little baby has pink/clear glowing eyes. It's so weird.

When you say you'd get him checked out, do you mean at an avian vet? I wonder if they'd be able to tell me. I wonder what my other options are. Can they tell if he's a true albino through DNA if I also had him DNA sexed?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I am sure that there are people here on PT that will be famaliar with this type of thing and maybe they will provide a link somewhere for you to read. If I had to take a wild guess I would say Abino--pure white and pink eyes. For me I would have to take it to my bird vet to find out unless someone would post with experience with this type of thing. I would bet that you will get an answer pretty soon---but it is not normal this I know...It might have to do with hereditary or something--I don't know---hope someone shares their pratical knowledge soon...c.hert

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

For reference: A picture of Mubcupk's eyes (he is the dad). Rainbow (mom)'s eyes are the same as his.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I believe they are albino's. I have some who have produced albino babies and they almost look like they have no eyes at first! But they are fine and will get darker with age.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the white dove parents are not albinos, there is too much pigment in the eyes, here is a pic of an albino crow to give you an idea what no pigment would look like. as for the baby it is hard to tell right now, but it is always possible.

http://media.canada.com/2de3e3f6-b472-4835-9142-3ead50913788/SUN0618 Albino.jpg
Thanks, SpiritWings Yes, I knew the parents were not albino, just white. I am just so surprised by this little baby! Now I wish I'd gotten to see the eyes of the baby that didn't make it to see if he was white or albino, or if perhaps you couldn't tell. The chances of both being albino are so slim that if his eyes were the same, I would figure this is normal for a white dove baby.

Poor guy, he is so ugly, and deformed too. Did I post pics of his splayed leg and twisted wing? Poor little thing. He is very strong, active and well-fed, though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
he glows ALL the time? you could make MILLION bucks off this littl guy! KIDDING

hope all goes well for both of you!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks, SpiritWings Yes, I knew the parents were not albino, just white. I am just so surprised by this little baby! Now I wish I'd gotten to see the eyes of the baby that didn't make it to see if he was white or albino, or if perhaps you couldn't tell. The chances of both being albino are so slim that if his eyes were the same, I would figure this is normal for a white dove baby.

Poor guy, he is so ugly, and deformed too. Did I post pics of his splayed leg and twisted wing? Poor little thing. He is very strong, active and well-fed, though.
oh ,my I guess you will have to read up on how to fix his legs and when to do it, I think it needs to be done pretty early, never had to do it so Im not sure.:)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Even WITH his problems, he could still live a long and happy life!

Hopefully, there are not problems that you "can't" see, Mubcupk!

Splay legs can be helped and I'm sure our knowledgable members will be along to help. Don't know about the wing...

Can you post pictures?

Sure wish this little one all the best!! His head may look "light" but that just means he's of a "higher order"...may not need "brains," per se! ;)

Sure am looking forward to future posts of this UNIQUE ONE!

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My sister is in her 3rd year of vet school and is in Uganda right now, but through emailing photos to her back and forth, she helped me rig up a bandaid splint to splint the legs together. She isn't sure that anything can or should be done with the wing.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I agree with Daryl! GREAT PICTURE!

Sure hope that splint works...looks good...

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Your baby is albino most definitely.

Albino is recessive, so both parents, although normal in appearance, do carry the albino gene.

So what you should expect in the offspring from the parents of this one is:
25% Pure normal white (dark eyes)
50% Normal white but carrying albino (these birds still have dark eyes)
25% Albino (pink eyes)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts