Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
question about doves and their babies.

So, my pair is sitting on yet another egg. **prays this one works out**
Its been about a week since it was laid so another week to go until hatching. After about 6 months with no luck hopefully this one will work out. What an awesome birthday present it would be for it to hatch on my birthday.:rolleyes: My question is that if its successful how long do i have before they will reject its presence? My pair lives in a 49" Long x 29" Wide x 32" High "Dog Cage". There is one nest, 2 feeders and 2 water containers. Would adding another nest to the cage for the baby work? Or would the father claim it as "his" nest also?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well, I really do hope it works out for them this time... the young may or may not be rejected...I think it may depend on if it is a hen or a cock bird....he may not want a cock bird in there to compete with...but a hen would be fine, trios work well...so If it does need to be removed because of bullying, it will most likely be when he matures. you will just have to watch them. just wondering did she lay a second egg?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If you are talking about your doves, the parents are much more 'loving' and take more time to act aggressive towards them. Or at least, my pairs are. I've had a baby with them for nearly 2 months and there was no problem. The baby would roost with them and sit on the edge of the box. My doves didn't even show interest in laying again until I took the baby out and they had peace and quiet :p Your cage is larger than mine was, so I would think as long as you get the baby out before it starts acting up (starts about 3 months old for pigeons, doves - not sure). I've never had baby pigeons with the parents in an individual cage, for longer than a month, so I wouldn't know much there. All I know is, the safest thing is to separate them both doves and pigeons as soon as possible after weaning.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, I really do hope it works out for them this time... the young may or may not be rejected...I think it may depend on if it is a hen or a cock bird....he may not want a cock bird in there to compete with...but a hen would be fine, trios work well...so If it does need to be removed because of bullying, it will most likely be when he matures. you will just have to watch them. just wondering did she lay a second egg?
No, she didnt lay a 2nd. that only happened twice and the first time, the 2nd one never hatch. and the second time neither hatched because i was treating them and they had laid the eggs in the middle of treatment so i wasnt sure if i let the babies hatch that they would contract whatever their illness was/is from the babies. so i didnt let them hatch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are talking about your doves, the parents are much more 'loving' and take more time to act aggressive towards them. Or at least, my pairs are. I've had a baby with them for nearly 2 months and there was no problem. The baby would roost with them and sit on the edge of the box. My doves didn't even show interest in laying again until I took the baby out and they had peace and quiet :p Your cage is larger than mine was, so I would think as long as you get the baby out before it starts acting up (starts about 3 months old for pigeons, doves - not sure). I've never had baby pigeons with the parents in an individual cage, for longer than a month, so I wouldn't know much there. All I know is, the safest thing is to separate them both doves and pigeons as soon as possible after weaning.
i cant really afford/fit another cage in my room. but i have there old one still. theres pictures in my albums. of it. it is small. but the cage they are in now opens at the tops. i was thinking maybe i could wire the old cage to that opening. kind of like an extension and that would allow a "room" for the baby once they dont want it in the nest with them anymore. i could keep it closed off just so it can recognise it as "his/hers" and the parents wont invade it. then i could take out the bottom so it can go into the bigger cage with them. think that would work??

G

·
as long as there is enuf room for all you should have no problems with parents and their offspring being in the same enclosure;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts