Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend /club member that was told he cant have a loft in his yard. He has had a loft in his yard for 11 years. Town came with a complaint and served him. He has up to May. They are trying to sell the houses next to him so he he thinks its the realtor. I dont know what will I do if I had to get rid of my birds. Just bothering me alllllllllllllll day.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the laws fully and see if you can or cannot keep pigeons in an outdoor pen/loft. Codes will not tell you that you can not have a pet pigeon but there is rules they have to be kept inside and such. Each HOA is different and each city/county is different. Some limit number of birds other say no outdoor pens for pets. You need to see if these rules aply to you now. If you find you are in violation and it can be fixed, fix it. If you can not keep a loft make plans to move, LOL.

·
Registered
670 Posts
see alot of towns say NO Pigeons or feral pigeons .. BUT MINE are all RACING PIGEONS AU BANDED and they are PETS at that point so i would have him check the laws for wording and fight it ,....

·
Registered
142 Posts
see alot of towns say NO Pigeons or feral pigeons .. BUT MINE are all RACING PIGEONS AU BANDED and they are PETS at that point so i would have him check the laws for wording and fight it ,....
lol, i like your thinking! lol. and yeah, we got caught foe chickens, but didnt get regulated for pigeons....not yet at least. lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check the laws fully and see if you can or cannot keep pigeons in an outdoor pen/loft. Codes will not tell you that you can not have a pet pigeon but there is rules they have to be kept inside and such. Each HOA is different and each city/county is different. Some limit number of birds other say no outdoor pens for pets. You need to see if these rules aply to you now. If you find you are in violation and it can be fixed, fix it. If you can not keep a loft make plans to move, LOL.
my laws says the same thing too, and i am confused. i think these laws are just full of BS. at the same time they wont allow you, but on a different circumstance they let you at some extent...so weird. and full of crud!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
id hire a lawyer if i could afford it and fight it, laws are made following the Constitution and other federal law, it is not constitutional to tell someone they can not have a pigeon

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It is legal to set neighborhood, city, county, and state regulations governing the zoning of different areas. There are several ways to prevent certain animals/birds from being kept in certain areas. Unfortunately for many, pit bulls are a prime example.

Chickens were banned in Madison for many years and only recently were allowed in the city. This was allowed because farm animals, livestock, etc were previously only allowed in rural areas zoned agricultural. Now you can have 4 hens, no roosters, and you need to pay a $10.00 permit fee. Your coop needs to be at least 25 feet from an inhabited building.

Zoning laws are different in every city, county, state. Even neighborhoods/developments can dictate what the cost of housing must be, what type of dogs( and other pets ) are allowed, what you can park in your own driveway, ( boats, campers, junker cars, etc ) the list can go on and on.

As advised, get a lawyer if you can afford one. Or check to see if you have an Animal Control Agency where you live and ask where you can find any regulations governing keeping pets, their housing, how many you can have, etc.

And, if you were given a written complaint, see if it's based on a law banning pigeons per se, or if your friends loft is not up to a specific code or regulation that might be easily fixed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I told him to fight it. You never know. Let the town spend some money. Im sooooooooo pissed. He is such a nice guy. He doesnt have no neighbors. House on right and left of him are for sale. I also think the realtor told.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This are my town codes. You dont see anything say pigeons, rats , clinchers etc.
Article III. Farm Animals [Adopted 3-9-2009]

§ 161-13. Prohibited animals.
It shall be unlawful to permit any of the following farm animals to be harbored or allowed to remain in any dwelling or lot in the City of Middletown: cattle, chicken, duck, goose, goat, horse or pig.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Looks like you may have a very good argument!:) Go for it. It could be that your friend was written up on a nuisance violation!?!?!? If that's the case, it would only take one person bitc.ing to the right person to get him written up. But he can then ask that the complainant prove how his birds are a problem.

Do your regulations have anything for non-farm animals listed?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like you may have a very good argument!:) Go for it. It could be that your friend was written up on a nuisance violation!?!?!? If that's the case, it would only take one person bitc.ing to the right person to get him written up. But he can then ask that the complainant prove how his birds are a problem.

Do your regulations have anything for non-farm animals listed?

I will be trying to push him to try and fight it. My regulations only talk about dogs and cats . So it looks good for me on paper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's the code in my city, fyi. It says six maximum, so i keep three breeding pairs and the young birds are shipped to one loft races or sold right after they are weaned. I stay low key, loft fly them in the evening, try to keep them quiet, and keep a very clean, 6x8 ft. loft. The birds think they are in heaven with so much room.

5.01.020 Keeping of chickens, pigeons or rabbits.

It is unlawful for any person to keep or maintain within the city, or permit to be kept or maintained upon land belonging to such person, any chickens, pigeons or rabbits except as follows:

A total of not more than six chicken hens or six pigeons or a combination of chicken hens and pigeons not to exceed the number of six, or a total of not more than six rabbits may be kept and maintained in a clean and sanitary pen or structure, no part of which shall be located less than forty feet from any residence, other than a residence owned and occupied by the person owning or in possession of such animals; and, provided further, that the keeping of such animals shall not create a health or nuisance problem.

It's a shame i can't have a real loft, but some day i will move outside the city limits and have a big loft.

Carefully read the codes for your town and you might find a way to have some birds.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have to agree with the idea of having the IF or AU involved. Just the threat of dealing with a National Organization may give the town second thoughts.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I just looked up Madison. It basically states that no more than 5 pigeons shall be kept in a dwelling or garage, and no more than 25 pigeons on a lot.

Leads one to ask, how do you keep 25 pigeons without them being kept in a dwelling. :confused:

I know that they mean dwelling as house, home, residence, but it could be confusing to some. :D

Makes you wonder what our law makers are on when they write these statutes?;)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Have a friend /club member that was told he cant have a loft in his yard. He has had a loft in his yard for 11 years. Town came with a complaint and served him. He has up to May. They are trying to sell the houses next to him so he he thinks its the realtor. I dont know what will I do if I had to get rid of my birds. Just bothering me alllllllllllllll day.
Basically has two options. #1 See your attorney maybe ask for a referral to one experieced with zoning laws. After 11 years he may be grandfathered in, then again he may have been in violation for the last 11 years. The devil is in the details. #2 Put your house up for sale along side the other two, and move to a more suitable place.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm lucky that my town's pretty good with the laws on keeping pigeons. You can basically keep as many as you want. But you have to have 1 square foot of coop space for each bird. Like my flying coop is over 250sqft so by law I could have 250 birds in there if I wanted but I'd never get any where near that. Plus I have a few more decent size coops. So basically if I wanted to right now I could have over 750 birds according to the town. But the towns around me even though it all basically the same 1/4 acre yards say you can't have more then 100 birds. But that still aint too bad considering we are such a populated area. Then the next county over says you can't have pigeons. But there's ways around that law as well because. They were trying to make one guy get rid of his pigeons because another pigeon flyer was jealous he was a such a good flyer and turned him into the county. But he was able to keep them after he got all the neighbors within so many feet to sign a paper saying they were ok with him keeping the pigeons there so now he's one of the few ppl who can legally keep pigeons in Nassau County.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last I heard he has to have 2 acres to keep them.Thats his town code. President of the club has the paperwork and is looking into it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts