Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this guy called me with a bird, He owns a store here and feeds the birds, this bird must have gotten partway hit and partly run over by a car, because the tail feathers are gone, the end of body, or rump, got run over, its all bruised and bloody. The leg is completely broken, there is bone sticking through the leg. I took pics and will upload them later. I am seeing a vet tomorrow, long story short, the vet couldnt see me today and the front desk person told me to go to Tufts wildlife, but i was adament about seeing him because Tufts euthanises way too often. I am going tomorrow am, but am feeling very bad for the bird. The bird is as lively as she can be, considering, and is eating, a bit thin though, and i gave some aspirin for pain last night and this morning. Oh, the bird is still pooping, so i know that didnt get damaged in the accident. Just wanted to put this up here cause i havent been here in a bit, i will upload the pics a bit later, and let you all know what happens. I have the bird in a nest so he doesnt move much..... :(

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, when a bone shard is sticking out, we call that a "compound fracture". Standard treatment is that the bone end has to be filed (we're talking under anaesthesia here) before being put back in and set. This is because the bone end might be dead and/or infected, which might cause the development of a "non-union" or failure to heal properly if it's not done that way. The situation isn't quite as dire if it's put back in very soon after the initial injury and the bird's put on an antibiotic like Divet (Trimethoprim/Sulfa combo).

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Of course, if there's a huge amount of bruising, then an aggressive surgical fix can cause the body to cut its losses and reject repairing the leg. In such a case, the tissues might not die but the overall function can be lost, which is just about as bad.

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the vet did exactly as you said Pidgey! He said the break looked to be a few weeks old, the only thing that saved it from fusing badly was the bone sticking out of the leg. He clipped the ends of bone, while the bird was under anaesthesia, and cleaned it out, and stuck the ends together, and splinted it! He's on a months course of cyprofoxacyn, then a return trip....
Going to meet Dez, Amoonswirl and Patti! So i'll update with the pics in the AM or tonight...

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Your vet sounds a good one. My heart always sinks when there is a badly injured pigeon, because I know that they need expert help but so often the experts give up on them before even trying. Still, I notice that gradually on this forum members are finding knowledgeable and compassionate vets, even in far flung countries like Argentina, which is very gratifying.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
That is great news Raina.

And, I am so jealous I could spit that you are meeting up with those three ladies. Hope you have a grand time. :p

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, took me a bit to upload pics because my roommate got a new computer and i had to download the stuff to crop for a mac. I am so lost on this computer!
the last 3 pics, and i have been asked to put a warning on my albums because there's lots of graphic hurt pijjie photos.
here it is
http://public.fotki.com/xxscribblerxx/pigeons/page2.html

the little guy started to get out of the splint, i had to reinforce it with those flat wooden coffee stirrers. Anyhow, i got to see what the vet did, and he ended up putting a stitch on the opening, and he did go in and clean it out pretty well, i think the bird has been in pain since then though, the pupils are big compared to my healthy birds, does that mean in pain? Should i continue with aspirin or not? He cant get around well and thats the point, to keep him still, i am wondering if a sling would be helpful or not, or since it is braced if it matters or not. His leg is definitely not getting out of the new splint!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I don't know that big pupils on pigeons mean anything in particular if there are no signs of blindness. I probably wouldn't be giving aspirin after a surgery due to the possibility of a hemorrhage. That'd be a better time for Metacam, if you've got it. One of the ways to keep them behaving better is to keep them in the dark and in the quiet.

So, the bad section is the tarsometatarsus?

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Pidgey! How you been? Well, it is the tarsometatarsus, i am hoping it heals but i wont know for a while. will the foot start turning black if the break isnt healing? I mean, when will i know if it is healing or not?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Have you posted pictures of your latest taping job? It didn't look bad circulation-wise in the pictures that you posted earlier.

It's been rough lately. I'm way more than ready for Lin to get back.

Pidgey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts