Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

First time posting..

I found a pigeon in our backyard who is badly injured. From what I can tell, based on his movements (can walk and wings are fine), it is it's eyes that are injured. One is bruised and swollen completely with some liquid coming out, and has dried blood surrounding the eye . The other is red and has a film on reddish liquid on it, also with dried out blood around it.

The bird flinches if something gets too close to it's eyes.

I've placed it in a cage inside my house right now, in the lowly light part of a room. What else should I do? I tried calling the humane society, but it is after hours..
Vet is probably out of the question since I do not have the money to pay for the medical treatment..

This is so sad.:( What should I do??
I have to go to work right now so I won't be able to respond back..

DoubleMint

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would not send anything to the humane society as they have a long history of putting most of the animals to sleep (KILLING) that they take in. I would contain him in a cage were he won't get stressed as bad make sure he has clean water and some bird seed he probably flew into a window or a cat had him. Should start to heal up in a week or so.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not send anything to the humane society as they have a long history of putting most of the animals to sleep (KILLING) that they take in. I would contain him in a cage were he won't get stressed as bad make sure he has clean water and some bird seed he probably flew into a window or a cat had him. Should start to heal up in a week or so.
I don't think the pigeons injured. I think he's sick.
Does the eye look like the one in this link?

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/treatment-plan/specificinfections-ornithosis.php
I could be Ornithosis since if a hawk or cat was attacking it, there would be other injuries..but the injuries to the eyes look worse than the pictures shown in your link. Ill try to upload some pictures when I have the time. In the mean time, I will keep it in the cage and hopefully it will drink and eat..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts