Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guys been hanging around our pigeon coop for about a week now. He finally flew in last night so we were able to catch him. He had a piece of fishing line tied so tightly around his leg that it had cut through the skin all the way around the leg. It was very difficult to get it cut out.

We've never dealt with this kind of injury before and could really use some help. We finally got the wire cut off, and cleaned the gash from where the wire was embedded. This morning it's still badly swollen, both the foot and ankle area. He doesn't seem to have any use of the foot but seems able to feel when I'm messing with it.

What action should we take from here? Thanks in advance!
Here's a link to a photo. Every time I tried to load it here it came out giant.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=433499273771559&set=a.184149792039843.1073741828.100013344690262&type=3

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Would keep it very clean, possibly soak it in something like diluted betadine. If the swelling doesnt go down, he might need antibiotics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The leg is almost completely

severed through. It's just hanging by a thread. We're afraid to snip it the rest of the way for fear of bleeding, also don't know if we should splint at this point. We're at a loss. Otherwise the bird is alert and eating.

Again thanks for your advice :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would clean with saline solution. Boil 1 quart of water and add 1 Tablespoon of salt, then cool to lukewarm. Clean it with that, and cover with an antibacterial cream, but not the kind with the pain reliever in it. I would wrap it to keep it clean and start him on an oral antibiotic. He may well lose the foot. It shouldn't be taken off without a vet to be able to anesthetize or numb it first. Poor thing. Keep him till it heals up one way or the other. I would keep him inside in a cage by himself also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would clean with saline solution. Boil 1 quart of water and add 1 Tablespoon of salt, then cool to lukewarm. Clean it with that, and cover with an antibacterial cream, but not the kind with the pain reliever in it. I would wrap it to keep it clean and start him on an oral antibiotic. He may well lose the foot. It shouldn't be taken off without a vet to be able to anesthetize or numb it first. Poor thing. Keep him till it heals up one way or the other. I would keep him inside in a cage by himself also.
Thanks so much for the reply! Did all you suggested. Put her baytril. The foot is just hanging by a thread and flops over when we clean it. I can't imagine how painful it must be.

We have her in a cage we keep inside for emergency s for our birds. She's eating well and alert. I'm going to call a vet tomorrow and see what they would charge to cut it off so the poor thing can start healing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with Jay3' suggestions. Birds are tough and even if he loses a foot he can be ok with time to heal.
We'll keep her inside with us until she's fully healed but if she loses the foot will it be okay if after she's healed we put her in the coop with ours? Our king of the coop male came home with an injured foot a few years ago and we had to keep him inside with us until he was walking normally again. The other birds were really giving him a beating, we don't want her picked on or worse.

What do you think?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Great idea to see a vet. Will probably have to take it off. You can put her in with your birds after quarantining for a month, as you should with any new bird you bring in. This gives time to make sure they are healthy. Just watch to see that they don't pick on her. If they do, then you would need to bring her inside with you. Let us know how it all goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great idea to see a vet. Will probably have to take it off. You can put her in with your birds after quarantining for a month, as you should with any new bird you bring in. This gives time to make sure they are healthy. Just watch to see that they don't pick on her. If they do, then you would need to bring her inside with you. Let us know how it all goes.
The vet saw her yesterday. She thought it would be best to amputate the foot and was able to do it while we were there. Our girl has a few stitches, but doesn't seem any worse for the wear. We'll keep her inside with us and try her in the coop when it's safe to do so.

Thanks for all of the help!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Poor baby. She will adjust though. Hope it goes well. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Glad the vet was able to help the bird. Birds can survive without a foot. Hope she is all better soon. Thank you for helping her. Palomacy even had a bird fitted with a prosthesis at Medical Center for Birds i heard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts