Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue, our male who lives wirh Fiona, had trouble getting onto the perches tonight at dinner. I was able to catch him easily too. Am concerned because he was missing for two days a few weeks ago. Looked in his mouth, listened to his breathing. He seemed to eat ok. Haven't been able to check out his poop yet. Should I be concerned? He does not seem thin. But his balance seemed a little off. I checked him out but see no injuries.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Am still very worried about Blue, not sure what he may have been exposed to during his two day adventure out of the aviary a few weeks ago. He is vocalizing but not as loudly. Will check on him when it gets light. He outran a hawk while he was out of the shed but now couldn't fly up to his perch easily. Any suggestions about things to ask the vet? Our local vet is an exotic but not avian vet...the avian vet is four hours away. It has been hot and he and Fiona have been leaving poop in their bathing dish...am wondering about coccidia because they might drink the bath water. Or malaria from mosquitoes outside. Or a respiratory infection from radical temperature changes. It is in the 90s during the day but the shed us cooked to about 85, and 40s at night which I try to remedy to 50 or above with a heater. Or canker or something from being exposed to the wild doves. Or ??? He has been strutting a lot for Fiona and I know they have been mating. What should I ask the vet?

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you have a place to isolate him from the other birds, I think you should. I don't want to alarm you but you need to watch for strange head movements. The wild flocks are frequently exposed to outbreaks of PMV, and I think there are probably carriers in those populations all the time.

The first symptoms with PMV will be the strange head movement and eventually they will twist the head completely upside down. There is no cure for PMV, but the birds can recover but sometimes it takes months. The disease is a virus and very easily transmitted to other birds.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Chuck, thank you, will isolate him. Is there a test for it? He hasn't shown any weird head movements, just a subtle difficulty leaping onto his perch about 1 1/2 feet off the ground. He seems better today but I don't want him to make everybody sick. I don't think he went more than a quarter mile from the shed and the nearest feral pigeons are at least 3 to 5 miles away but isn't PMV an airborne virus? There are wild doves nearby too much closer in the trees and bushes. Can they carry PMV?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is some info I found about PMV. It's a scary world out there. Hope Blue doesn't have PMV.
http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org...WWW.htm Sorry am having trouble posting this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Fingers crossed its nothing to do with pmv cwebster, I can imagine how worried you are. What's the incubation period for it, because if you know that you could work out if it fits with when he was out and now time wise.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He's probably fine and you are worried for nothing. His leap may have just been a little off. It happens. You said he was doing well now. I would just keep an eye on him and see how it goes. If he acts like something is wrong, then I would be concerned. You are probably worried for nothing. Separating them now is just going to upset them, and he has been back with his mate for several weeks now. Unless I saw something more than what you are describing, I would leave him with his mate.
Do they get out of cage for exercise? They do need that for their muscles to stay strong, Just sitting in a cage, the muscles will weaken. Also, it can be easier to mis-leap to a perch or shelf when in a cage, as there really isn't all that much room. It does happen. Like you tripping.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have read varying estimates fir incubation for PMV, usually about two weeks. Ok, will watch him and see how it goes. He seemed ok at dinner tonight. They come out before breakfast and before dinner to fly around the CLOSED shed. They jump into the doorway of the cages when I open them. I never open their cages now with the shed doors open as that is how Blue took off last time. I had him in a cage away from Fiona because he was scalping baby Buzzy and he flew out if the cage and tried to get back in with Fiona and when he couldn't figure out how, he flew out the open shed door. Never again. That was a long terrible two days until he was home safe again. After they come out, which I let them do in pairs, they are quite willing to go back in except for the babies, Fiona Jr and Buzzy, who I have to coax back into the cage. I think Fiona Jr and Buzzy may be males so will have to rename Fiona Jr.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think he is probably fine. They do on occasion not quite make the landing right on a perch. Don't panic, just keep an eye on him, as you do anyway.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The first thing you would notice with PMV is that the bird can't rise from the ground which is the reason I warned to keep an eye on him when he started having difficulty getting to this perch. Within a couple of days or less the birds start twisting the neck and walking backwards often in a circle.

If he isn't showing the flow blown symptoms by now it is probably not PMV. The problem with not isolating when you suspect the disease is that it will go through your whole flock. There is a vaccine for it, and most folks that show or race use it because of their pigeons coming into contact with strange birds. Some of the racing organization require it before they are allowed to race.

I believe that wild doves are susceptible to PMV but I have never heard or seen an outbreak. I have seen an outbreak in feral pigeons. It wiped out about 60 to 70 percent of them, but that was a long time ago, and from what I have read the disease has mutated to a milder form or the birds have developed some immunity to it.

I think your Blue is probably alright.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ChuckK, I hope he is ok. He seemed better last night and will observe him closely today. Will ask the vet if I can get them vaccinated as there are wild doves and ferals in the area. After all he has been through recently I hope he is ok. I was thinking about rehoming him, and kind of didlt like him, because we were tricked and didn't want a male, and he scalped poor Buzzy relentlessly, but the silly bird was so anxious to get home to Fiona and I spent so much time coaxing him to return to the shed for two days and agonizing when the hawk chased him that I have come to love him and his bald white head with the blue spot. He is so in love with Fiona too and prances around so proudly. Pigeons are all such individuals and comical sometimes.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Blue isn't a bad pigeon. If he scalped Buzzy, it is because they are caged. It is something that any male could have done. In a natural environment, they wouldn't be stuck in with the babies. That just never works. They need to be able to get out and move around and get away from the babies. The babies constantly demand feeding, and the parents need to be able to get away from them. Think about how it would be to be stuck with them all day. Just trying to be fair to Blue.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jay3, Buzzy and Fiona Jr (who needs a male name I think) are now in their own large flight cage and getting along great. Will let them out to fly around the shed more, with the doors closed. I understand how kids could drive someone to distraction. And I now love Blue a lot. The dedication and love he showed getting back to Fiona despite having to outrun hawks twice convinced me he is a really good birdie. He is funny the way he struts and shows off and it is cute the way Fiona and Blue bob heads, tenderly groom each other, snuggle and gently care for their (fake...sssh!!!) eggs together. Pigeons are really family oriented. I was just surprised at how Blue picked on Buzzy; he didn't pick on Fiona Jr.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How old were they when he picked on him? At a certain age, the sons become another male who may go after the female, so it is normal for the cock to drive him out. But in a cage environment, he can't do that.
If he was still very young, then maybe he was the one who nagged and went after the Dad to be fed more. Just wondering.
Would love to see pictures of the babies. They must be very cute by now. All grown up.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blue picked on Buzzy when she/he was still being fed and Fiona Jr had started eating seed...two or three weeks old. Buzzy would vocalize from across the cage and not even approach the parents but Blue would attack her/him. From their current behavior would guess Buzzy us female and Fiona Jr male. Will try to post photos soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts