Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a blizzard in New York, and the feral pigeon that normally hangs out on my balcony just laid her first egg during the storm.

There is no nest, and the egg is basically sitting on snow in a wooden box with top covered but side open. Hen is next to the egg but not sitting on it yet. Probably waiting for second egg.

Temps have been below freezing here and will probably stay this way for a while.

Can the eggs really hatch in these cold temps? Should I even bother replacing it with fake eggs? The egg will probably be covered in snow next time it snows.

I replaced eggs from this pair about 4-6 months ago.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe you should secure the nest area a bit more so it's "snow" proof and since it's freezing, you can bring the egg inside replacing it with a fake and when the second is payed, the put the real egg back and take the fake one out if you want to have babies... Maybe a pic could help to see what the circumstance are like :)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I would wait till spring arrives and then let the pair raise any young. Shortage of food and the harsh climate won't be good for babies. I would replace the eggs with fakes and let the pair sit on them over and over again til spring.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yup what Jass said, dont let them lay, it will be a struggle and the chicks will be at risk. Whats the sense of risking you having to save babies and the entire headache of weaning and worrying if they will be able to learn and find food. Its just not a smart idea. Feel bad for the hen, she is probably being forced to mate and lay by the male which I find to be dogs lol. They will pursue to reproduce at all costs. Just not fair in those conditions. I say pull the eggs and put fakes to give the hen a break. It is tough in this weather to find food. Im sure they can incubate and keep warm but if startled off nest for any reason you will have frozen babies. Even if they just fall out of nest in a tussle they will freeze, I would not want to have to deal with any of that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hen laid the second egg on the other side of balcony. On a metal chair. I'll remove those eggs and replace with 2 wooden ones I got. I'll warm it up for them also.

Here's a pic of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I threw out the eggs and placed 2 wooden ones I used in the past. Few hours later, one of the fake eggs was moved to the middle of the balcony. So I figured, let me put it back again. And then short time later, one of the fake eggs was pushed out again. I guess they only want one? Or they don't like one of the fake eggs?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You did what needed to be done. I would place twigs near the site so that they make a nest themselves. Then the eggs won't roll out.
Let'em make a nest and then place second in the nest if the egg rolls out everytime you put it in there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

The pair eventually pushed both wooden eggs out and they went back to work. About 4 or 5 days ago, she laid another new egg which I didn't do anything because I was waiting for the second. But by next day, the egg rolled or pushed out of the nest. I went to get it and saw it was cracked so I put a wooden one back at the nest. I then cut up a cardboard box, very thin and put it outside the nest.

Birds made a decent nest for the wooden egg, and she laid her second egg.

The temp got to 4F with a wind chill of -30F from Sunday night to Monday morning in New York and Hen was sitting on the eggs like a champ! Due to this, I'm not going to take the second egg. If it breaks like the others, it breaks, if they can do it, great. If baby is in trouble, I'll help, but mostly will let nature take its course. Out of all the set of eggs I took, they seem very determined for this set. They are more protected and now they have a nest made out of cardboard.

T-Bas

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Egg hatched yesterday, on schedule. And it's currently snowing heavy outside.

I threw some food near nest so mom can eat without getting up, but she quickly goes back to keep baby warm.

I got a quick pic when she got off. Now there is one wooden egg there, should I remove the wooden egg or wait till they push it out?

Anywhere I can get a battery operated nest bowl, there isn't an outlet on my balcony?

What other supplies should I get, just in case when bird is too big to sit on and its still freezing outside? I got the cage about 2x4, I got some medicine syringe from pharmacy. Petco is near by so I can grab a few things to have ready.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Lol awesome so cute, leave the wooden egg there for extra support and warmth for baby. Use an extension cord if needed. In future if you want to modify the nest they have just put a short peice of wood across the front to form a lip they will hop over it. Or kind of lift and tilt that carpeting up a bit so the egg rolls towards the parents, KEEP a CLOSE eye now that u have live young. If that bub even rolls out a few inches from the nest spot they wont feed nor recognize it. If you can take or give them some sticks or nesting material close by they will continually add to the nest and make it safer. Keep some on the balcony scattered around and usually they bring eachother a peice after every shift.

Also eventually remove that carpet as it will harbour pests and mites and that will be enough to kill any babies. Keep a close eye at @ 2 to 3 weeks old as the hen will lay again, at that stage, remove all old bedding and put fresh straw or bowl if you want them to keep breeding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Baby Hen is about a week old now. (I'm guessing female)

There were some very cold nights which I assisted with a bunch of hand warmers all lined the inside of the box with them.

There was one time she was out of the nest and I put her back in, baby seemed scared at first, but was calm shortly. She was warm. Few other times I went to check on her, and she wasn't an ice cube.

It seems to be a little used to me, I pet it and it closes her eyes.

I notice that she seems to have weak legs, she can move, but with a struggle and dragging. Maybe one week is too soon to tell? Legs are not spread out, she seems to sit normal. She seems to be very fat, maybe the body is too big to move?

There are lots of Adult birds around, and soon when parents start leaving the nest, I hope those birds don't pick on her. I did have this type of problem in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The legs are normal when that young they cannot stand yet. Good that you are keeping an eye and also ya, as long as it has that box or places near by to hide under when fledging, if it should be attacked then it can hide. Can you give us reg picture updates, fun to watch them grow.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hhahah SUPER cute :) keep up the updates, I LOVE to see the bubs, if I could I would have a million of them, just to see what color comes out lol.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Just a lovely baby.
First of all I should really appreciate the efforts you did for saving a life. I followed the post but had no knowledge of what to suggest in such chilling climate which I never faced in my location. I was praying for the baby to live .
Would love to see her growing up.
Lot of thanks on behalf of all birds' lovers. Keep up doing such great efforts for everyone, be it an animal or a person, a life is a life.
Hats off to you :)

CBL: me too want to have several of them but you know my mother.lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now the little one is about 2 weeks old now and the temps have been below freezing the past few days.

I don't know if the baby is cold, but when I do feel it, she seems warm. Last night the Mom was sitting on the baby's head and body all exposed not covering her. She is too big to be sat on. I kinda scared the mom to move so she can adjust her position, she moved, baby went into the corner of the box, and mom returned and sat in front of her.

Also this baby never squeaks, doesn't squeak when I pick her up or pet her. She only squeaks when returning her to the nest. What's that about?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Lovely kid... :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Tattle taleing lol

Now the little one is about 2 weeks old now and the temps have been below freezing the past few days.

I don't know if the baby is cold, but when I do feel it, she seems warm. Last night the Mom was sitting on the baby's head and body all exposed not covering her. She is too big to be sat on. I kinda scared the mom to move so she can adjust her position, she moved, baby went into the corner of the box, and mom returned and sat in front of her.

Also this baby never squeaks, doesn't squeak when I pick her up or pet her. She only squeaks when returning her to the nest. What's that about?
I have a hen named Floppy, when I would take her from the nest at about 3 weeks old to show her the outside world, she would do this erratic running and floppy of her wings zigzaging back to her nest, run hide behind her dad and tell him all about the big bad witch who just snatched her lol. It was HILARIOUS to see her antics, so I named her floppy but should have named her snitch! It looked like she was SO excited to run back to dad, never mom but dad. They would discuss the situation and that would be the end of it. No joke it was so funny.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts