Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
One of the feral male pigeons I am feeding has bald spots under the eyes.

It started with a tiny vertical trace under one eye. Possibly due to a fight with other birds? or scabies? (but could not find any picture or accurate litterature on bird scabies so I don't know how it looks like...)
It grew within a couple of weeks to completely bald spots under each eye and also under the neck .

The rest of the feathers on his body look perfect, he is in good shape, his legs are well red (so he does not seem anemic), he does not scratch, and his mate has no symptoms. I think they have currently babies (could it be due to the hungry squabs pecking?). he doesn't seem to scratch, the skin doesn't seem irritated, only bald, I don't see any scabs or skin lesion. it a pigeon skin grey?
Any idea? should I worry? (sorry for the poor picture quality, did my best)
Green Plant Parrot Organism Beak

Bird Beak Feather Stock dove Wing

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Look inside the beak and throat (esophagus) for anything that isn't pink. Yellow growths indicate canker among a few other possibilities. White clumps are usually yeast infection.

It could also be pigeonpox (not contagious to humans.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Dovewitness.
I cannot get closer to the bird (not to mention catching him! - because this free bird in particular is very cautious and extremely quick and - last but not least - I feed him through the scaffolding with a wood spoon attached on a 60 inches stick!
Besides these bold spots, he looks healthy. He eats very well (forgot to mention that in my description). He is an about 3 or 4-year-old male adult.
I did not know pox or canker can cause bold spots as a symptom?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A lot of diseases can cause loss of feathers, but when it is only happening around the neck that seems to suggest a localized problem -- like canker or pox.

Even if you can't catch the bird, you could help him to overcome illness by giving him foods that are naturally antimicrobials. The wider variety of such foods the better -- they each offer different phytochemicals that actively fight harmful pathogens. Veggies such as tiny bits of chopped garlic, ginger, and herbs like coriander leaves, oregano, and thyme. Seeds such as fennel, anise, cumin, coriander, cloves, black peppercorns, rosemary, black seed, dill, flax, peas, and lentils. Spices like turmeric powder and cinnamon help too, either sprinkled over the veggies or embedded in tiny bits of bread. Drinking water additives like raw apple cider vinegar, or citrus juice such as lemon or pineapple.

Feral pigeons are usually deficient in vitamin A, and tiny bits of carrot or bell/chili peppers provide plenty of it in a safe form (no side-effects or overdose worries.)

Avian / bird probiotics, or even just a bit of yogurt with "live cultures" will supply probiotics which help the bird to digest nutrients, and also help to fight pathogens that cause intestinal infections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts