Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rescued a band taile pigeon my cat attacked. it was about 4 month ago. it has been given atibiotics and the wound from the cat has healed with a topical antibiotic. it looks to be in good shape but the tail feathers are not completely in yet. when can i release this beautiful bird. it is kept inside and can fly pretty well.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon-Talk and thank you for rescuing this pigeon! We have a thread here in our Resources Forum about the criteria for releasing rehabbed birds back to the wild. You might find it helpful.

Where are you located? Band-taileds are typically found only in the Western US and Canada.

If you know where other Band-taileds are located, I would release it in that area but only after the tail feathers are regrown and you are certain the bird is in top shape and flying well. Usually wooded/forest areas would be where you would find Band-taileds.

Terry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm in burbank ca. i have a couple pine trees in my back yard and they roost on the telephone pole near the trees. i have a bird bath in the backyard and they have made it a pit stop for water. i first noticed these birds a couple years ago. the one i rescued was attacked at the bird bath by my cat. she only goes out when i'm out, so this was a rare occurance.

i want to make sure it's the right time of year. i haven't seen the birds lately. but i guessing the tail feathers will be grown in in a few weeks.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts