Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With feathers on their feet, what size snap on band do you put on them and what about seamless bands for the young. All my fantails are white and I need to tell them apart.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think most snap ons are only 8mm. I've never seen any bigger than that :confused:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, got my bands from foys today and ordered 9mm numbered wrap around. They seem to fit well and easy to read. I'll let you know if I have any trouble but a least I know number three and six are cocks now. Not sure about the rest yet.

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many Frillback breeders put the band above the joint in the leg... am curious if you do this with other muffed breeds? I put my bands at the normal spot between foot and joint... and haven't ever had trouble...
I used to band my Indian Fantails above the hock all the time, but had trouble last year. A large cockbird got his leg all swollen up and infected below the band. I thought he would die, but he did recover. Now I band lower on the leg, even though it does mess up the muffs sometimes.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had a muffed shakhsharli whom I had shipped to me and I noticed a limp and was rather submissive. I finally caught him and inspected the leg and there was a "hidden" band under all the feathers and his "thumb" had been caught up in it. It was terribly swollen and the band had cut into his flesh> It took me an hour to extricate the band. I medicated him daily but I was sure he'd lose the leg. He kept his leg and is now fine except missing some feathers on that leg. He's no longer submissive but the #1 cock! Must have been in agonizing pain!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts