Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I banded my last young birds at 7 days old just like I do all of them, but this time somehow one of the birds got the band off. Anyone else ever have this problem or did I do something wrong?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
If the band went on easy-you had no trouble putting it on-you put it on too early.
You need to check them for 3-4 days after you band them.
The band is most likely still in or around the loft somewhere.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have found that the parents will make the band dissapear after it falls of of a baby. I don't know if they eat them (not likely), or take them away. Haven't figured it out yet and haven't found the bands in most cases.

But it is not uncommon for bands to come off if banding is always done on at a certain time, because not all babies progress in growth the same. Like what was stated above, you have to check the banded babies for at least a couple of days to make sure the band hasn't fallen off. Many times the size of both babies in a nest has a disparity making banding them both at the same time, not the way to go. Band one today and maybe the other the next day or even two days later.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
When you band the young bird Pull slightly on the band after banding. This shows how it stays or slips off the leg. NOW often when the old mistake is made the band is lost the first day to night of banding. Often worked down into the nest or kicked out hard to even fine sometimes. Banding at 5 to 7 days is a good age. 5 often is about right.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree with all the replies. I would like to add that 1 time I had a young hen break the youngsters leg getting the band off, so I always keep a close eye on the youngsters for a couple of days after banding them. Good Luck Ozzy1963,
Kurps

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
We had a close call today. Found a band off, when I could have swore it was on before. Needless to say, after digging a bit I found it, and had a heck of a time getting it back on. But finally it went on, after some oil to make it slippery :p Having bands fall off is nothing new, happens all the time. Just have to keep putting them on until they stay. The speed at which different birds grow can differ a LOT, so it can be hard to say "I'll band it at this age" and it apply to everyone. I usually band mine at 5 days old, and the majority of them stay unless they're smaller birs.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you think the band may come off, you might try putting a twist tie (plastic coated wire used to close bags) on the leg loosely just below the band to block the band falling off. Obviously you would need to check daily and remove the twist tie after a few days when the band is no longer likely to fall off.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've had that happen before too. Carried the band out of the nest box, and into the aviary, where it fell out onto the ground. Took me forever to find it, since that was the last place I expected it to be! Usually they're still in the box or just under it. But that pair must have really hated that color of bands :p

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have had the same thing happen several times. If the band comes off, the parents must consider it a hazard, and will pick it up, and dump it on the floor of the loft. It must be a parental instinct to protect their babies.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I know my bands are not gonna come off. I used gel soap to put them on. Bands came in late. One more day they would have been bandless.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I start banding mine at 4-6 days old. I check every day to see if they have came off. I hate to force them on at a later age, as I can tell from their reaction that is painful to them.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've had that happen before too. Carried the band out of the nest box, and into the aviary, where it fell out onto the ground. Took me forever to find it, since that was the last place I expected it to be! Usually they're still in the box or just under it. But that pair must have really hated that color of bands :p
Ha Ha.

Ya gotta admit that some of the colors put out by the AU are ugly.

What's your favorite band color? Mine is yellow and then blue. Those puke green ones are the pits.

Imagine being a beautiful young blue bar hen and some jerk human puts a permanent lime green accessory on your ankle. :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I like to wait until I have to use a feather to pull the rear toe through the band.
The bands will not fall off at that point.
Keith

I do that in emergencies only (well, not a bonafide emergency, but you know what I mean). It doesn't seem to bother them much but is just looks like it SHOULD hurt.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I band around 6 days old and usually I end up re-banding the next day. LOL! The parents seem to have ability to hide those bands by carrying it somewhere else. To me if it was easy to put the band on, then it is easy for the bird to take it out. So I always verify couple of days after banding.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Ha Ha.

What's your favorite band color? Mine is yellow and then blue. Those puke green ones are the pits.

Imagine being a beautiful young blue bar hen and some jerk human puts a permanent lime green accessory on your ankle. :)
You pick the color, any color, and if the bird is home early on race day....when I see the bird enter the loft, and I hear the M-1 beep, that color you picked out, red, green, yellow, blue, or pink...don't make no difference, they all sure will look pretty at that moment !! :D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ha Ha.

Yes, the AU has a 'wonderful' taste for bands nowadays. Last year yellow, this year gold? I wouldn't be able to tell my yearlings from my young birds :p

I wasn't crazy about the lime green, although it does stick out, making it easier to find. I love this year's IF bands - a nice shade of blue :) I like the normal green ones too, and the purple ones (yes I know, probably because I'm a girl, LOL). But I really didn't like the pink ones last year!

Anyways, back to banding. It's a little scary when you have to yank that hind toe through. It does look like it should hurt, but that toe apparently is pretty flexible. I guess it's no worse than a shot, as long as you get it done quick :p And make sure those little toenails don't get caught - ouch!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts