Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a younger pigeon fancier and I've been reading this forum for a while now, although I've never posted. I got into pigeons late last year and I've found this site very helpful. I have 4 pigeons (an Indian Fantail pair and 2 others) and love them dearly! Anyways, last night I went out to check on my birds before going to bed (it had already been dark for a while) and I found blood on the floor. I examined all the birds and found that my Indian Fantail cock had a bloody leg. I brought him inside and cleaned him up and took a closer look, and both of his seamless bands were gone, and one of his legs had a wound where the band had been. I kept him inside for the night so I could keep an eye on him and he was pooping, eating, drinking, seemed content, and the wound was cleaned up so I put him back in the loft today.

Now, there are no sharp edges where he could have caught his leg or band and when I looked for the missing/broken bands, I couldn't find them anywhere. There's no sign of feather loss or a scuffle either. I thought it was odd that they would break anyways, as they are quite sturdy! Then I took a closer look at my Indian Fantail hen and one of her bands is cleanly cut through, although still firmly attached (I really don't want to leave that on her as it seems dangerous-- any suggestions on how to remove it safely?) Now, there is no way that 3 bands got broken all on their own, not to mention that I can't find traces of the missing bands anywhere.

I hate to assume that a person might have done this intentionally but that's the only explanation I can come up with! Anyways, I put a lock on the door and on the gate to my yard. I'm thankful that my birds are mostly alright, but I feel very confused and upset as I just can't believe someone would break in and remove my pigeons' bands, especially as one was injured in the process! And if someone was messing with my pigeons why would they remove the bands and leave the birds?? Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks very much for reading all this, as I really needed to get it off my chest! :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A very scary situation. My personal opinion is that its kids. I know a young hunter that shoots Canadian geese just to collect there bands and he makes a necklace. Believe me when I found out he got an ear full and he also doesn't eat them. He should die a painful death himself. But thats me blowing off steam. I'm glad you put a lock on everything. But thats what I think. Maybe you can set up a camera. Even a fake one might keep them out. Or a sign saying your being on video. good luck min

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am puzzled, too. For homers it is possible. That way you can't compete anymore for that bird with missing band. I also suppose that missing band on show breeds doesn't allow you to compete anymore, too.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Most strange. The bands would have had to have been cut off...what use are they to anyone then?

Had you shown your Indian fantails? I can only think it's a competitor stopping you from entering these birds!

·
Registered
875 Posts
your maybe best to take fantail to vet to get band cut off properly,also id advise using coil bands for a while or removable bands,cant think why anyone woul ddo this its spiteful,im glad the birds were not seriously harmed,id also say to set up some kind of cctv system they can be bought at reasonable price from hardware stores,even a dummy sytem may be enough of a deterrent,good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't shown them although they are show quality birds... I was hoping to get into it this fall but that's not going to happen now! I suppose maybe it was kids taking the bands for a dare or something like that, as I don't think there are any other pigeon fanciers close to me! Anyways, thank you everyone for your replies. I feel a bit better now and hopefully this won't happen again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a younger pigeon fancier and I've been reading this forum for a while now, although I've never posted. I got into pigeons late last year and I've found this site very helpful. I have 4 pigeons (an Indian Fantail pair and 2 others) and love them dearly! Anyways, last night I went out to check on my birds before going to bed (it had already been dark for a while) and I found blood on the floor. I examined all the birds and found that my Indian Fantail cock had a bloody leg. I brought him inside and cleaned him up and took a closer look, and both of his seamless bands were gone, and one of his legs had a wound where the band had been. I kept him inside for the night so I could keep an eye on him and he was pooping, eating, drinking, seemed content, and the wound was cleaned up so I put him back in the loft today.

Now, there are no sharp edges where he could have caught his leg or band and when I looked for the missing/broken bands, I couldn't find them anywhere. There's no sign of feather loss or a scuffle either. I thought it was odd that they would break anyways, as they are quite sturdy! Then I took a closer look at my Indian Fantail hen and one of her bands is cleanly cut through, although still firmly attached (I really don't want to leave that on her as it seems dangerous-- any suggestions on how to remove it safely?) Now, there is no way that 3 bands got broken all on their own, not to mention that I can't find traces of the missing bands anywhere.

I hate to assume that a person might have done this intentionally but that's the only explanation I can come up with! Anyways, I put a lock on the door and on the gate to my yard. I'm thankful that my birds are mostly alright, but I feel very confused and upset as I just can't believe someone would break in and remove my pigeons' bands, especially as one was injured in the process! And if someone was messing with my pigeons why would they remove the bands and leave the birds?? Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks very much for reading all this, as I really needed to get it off my chest! :(
if you keep fancy pigeons here is a forum you would find real usefal

http://fancypigeonsrus2009.forumotion.com/index.htm?sid=8723271c99c52cdece560d8ecdbb68eb

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here's what happened:

Someone was stealing your pigeons. The idiot prob thought the bands were a gps device or a way for you to locate him. So he cut them. Then he cut YOUR bird on accident. Got scared and figured the pigeon was going to die. So he left. I would go buy a CCTV camera they are cheap and can link to your computer. under $50. That way if somethign happens again you have evidence to give PD.

·
Registered
508 Posts
:eek:WOW that's a mystery. :confused:(very strange) I hope your birds stay safe!

keep your eyes open!-good luck!

-Columba livia!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Alright get into Sherlock Holmes Mode :cool:

What you need to do is look around their loft for any possible disturbances that could relate or identify something...you never know? Better then sitting on our bums thinking about what might have happened, give it a shot...maybe for some reason the person dropped their address and phone number :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When it dawned on me that the bands had been cut, the first thing I did was look for any evidence. Nothing else was notably out of place or missing. The only other clue I have is when it took place, which doesn't help that much; I was watching movies all evening and when I went out for a last check on my birds it was nearly midnight. It gets dark around 9:00 now so whoever came was probably here between 9:00 and 11:45. To get to my yard they would have had to go right past the window where I was sitting, but of course I probably wouldn't have noticed, or even heard anything.

I also stood by the loft and looked around me to see all the houses from which the birds are visible, and that's not many due to all the trees, sheds, and privacy fences. Most of those houses belong to people I know, and I can't imagine any of them doing something like this unless perhaps the culprit was visiting them at the time! The only unfamiliar ones are those on the street backing my yard so maybe it was one of them.

ggoss1, I had that exact same idea but I dismissed it as I couldn't imagine anyone being so stupid! But of course it's possible.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The Whole thing is Strange, Why would anyone want a seamless Fantail Band? and Kids would not be able to Cut of the Band, and if they Did, why? Dave
Yea, I agree with you.
Were these bands the kind that we put on racers? The hard plastic wrapped around metal or the plastic kind that you get from the NPA?
The NPA type band would be a little easier to cut off but I can't see ANYONE getting a seamless homer type band off a bird in the dark without cutting the whole darn leg off. My husband and two other men had to cut a band off of a race bird a few weeks ago, and it took them about 1/2 hour, a dremel too, pliers...........and I don't know what else.
This is VERY strange...........

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have you previously shown the fantails to other people.
I suspect it may be someone you know that saw the birds and thought the bands were interfering with the muffs on the Indian fantails feet.
It could also be some weirdo that thought the bands represented you putting the pigeons in bondage by marking them that way.
I ran into a woman and her daughter, who thought like that at a flea market, I was selling pigeons at.
They were angry at me because I had pigeons in cages and made them carry heavy metal rings, which they equated to a ball and chain.
The pigeons just had the normal aluminum year bands.
I explained things to them, but the mother was clearly not a rational human being and was succeeding in warping her daughter to her mindset.
Keith

1 - 20 of 23 Posts