Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pair of racers have 2 eggs,proably laid in the first full week of this month June/2012. These birds are my only ones I have so far. I have read some posts that there several type of bands. My Racers are from flying stock, & in time I want to build a racing team. I read you cannot fly birds with IPB bands. My hen has that type of band. Why is that? Also do some Racing Clubs sell bands to their members so they can trace the band number to it's owner if the bird is found by someone? Will these clubs accept birds that have bands which were not bought thru the club for a club race?

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you want to race the birds, they should have either AU or IF bands on them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If there is not a local club that you are able to get bands from, then Siegels Pigeon Supply is a source for AU bands. The AU only sells one size, and it is the one which works on racing pigeons.
The club bands offer a means of tracking lost birds, although that is not their primary purpose of course.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
My pair of racers have 2 eggs,proably laid in the first full week of this month June/2012. These birds are my only ones I have so far. I have read some posts that there several type of bands. My Racers are from flying stock, & in time I want to build a racing team. I read you cannot fly birds with IPB bands. My hen has that type of band. Why is that? Also do some Racing Clubs sell bands to their members so they can trace the band number to it's owner if the bird is found by someone? Will these clubs accept birds that have bands which were not bought thru the club for a club race?
Q : I read you cannot fly birds with IPB bands. My hen has that type of band. Why is that?

A: I don't know what a IPB band is exactly. My club requires birds to wear AU or IF bands for racing.

Q : Also do some Racing Clubs sell bands to their members so they can trace the band number to it's owner if the bird is found by someone?

A : Yes

Q : Will these clubs accept birds that have bands which were not bought thru the club for a club race?

A : Yes Exceptions might be special band races, etc. To be 100% sure of anything, one must look at the rules of the individual club. A group of people can get together and decide whatever they choose.

I don't know of any clubs or combines which will forbid any flier from flying pigeons with bands bought directly from their national organizations instead of going through the club. Nor do I know of any pigeon organizations which will forbid a flier from flying birds with bands from another national organization. But, that doesn't mean some club, somewhere in the world, might have some such rules.

·
Registered
810 Posts
IPB bands are used quite often on show birds...I had a bird once that had an IPB band on it and the fancier told me he put it on there simply because he had run out of other bands that year and figured that something would be better than nothing as far as record keeping and such.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SmithFamilyLoft
Moderator : Thank You for the information. ejb3810 : Thank you also. Matt Bell : This sounds like what happen to my hen. The breeder does have birds for show. When my son & I were going over the pictures of the birds that were offered for sale,I liked the look of the hen (head,neck flow to the body). And with her color, proably that band with IPB made sure she wasn't let out to fly by mistake.

·
Registered
229 Posts
an IPB band is an Independent Pigeon Breeder band that has the year the bird was born in, as well as an individual number assigned to identify the bird. you can not use these bands to race pigeons. these bands are more for individuals who do this for recreational purposes and still be able to identify their birds. the bands are also cheaper than AU or IF bands. you can get these through Foy's Pigeon Supplies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts