Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dakota, who I've posted about before, is/was a bit more hand shy than I originally thought. She will eat seeds from my hands (and has a tendency to knock quite a few of them off), and won't back away from my finger if I try to get her to perch (she does get nervous and go back to her original perch though). Her first few days were probably more exciting than she would have liked. (She likes her time on the ground but won't go back in easy via finger express, and putting her back in like is probably feeding her fear), but I think in time she will come around.

For at least a week (probably longer or as long as it takes) I'm going to let her be, while at the same time feeding her from my hands several times a day. If I bring my hands with food by her perch she eats but eventually I'd like to have her come onto my hand to eat. She'll eat at her own pace but at the same time teaching her that my hands are safe and that she can be dependent on me.

I would like to try clicker training her in the future for basic things like target training, but I need to work on breaking that barrier proactively but gently. What are some ways I can do that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Handling her consistently every day will help. I have a few birds that I am fond of that are in and out of the house (yay pidgie pants) and I find that just having them in the same room while you go about your business starts to teach them that they don't need to be scared of you. (Just make sure you turn off the ceiling fan). If she doesn't fight you very much, hold her while you walk around or while are sitting watching tv. Handfeeding helps too. Some of my birds that I got after they were already older and a little afraid of people have come around because now they know I mean food and water and attention when I come in the coop. I spend a lot of time just sitting in there hanging out and even the ones who wanted nothing to do with me now will come sit on my knee and let me pet them and will play with my clothes and hair. Very cute.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts