Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I break up a 22.7 mg Baytril chewable tab to dose a sick juvenile? I can't remember the mg per kg of bird.

Also, if I break it into four, and its 5.6 mg of Baytril, then the proper amount of water to add would be 10cc?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
How would I break up a 22.7 mg Baytril chewable tab to dose a sick juvenile? I can't remember the mg per kg of bird.

Also, if I break it into four, and its 5.6 mg of Baytril, then the proper amount of water to add would be 10cc?
I think the simplest thing for you to do is divided it evenly into 4 pieces and then to "pop" one piece a day, for 7-10 days (could be longer depending on what you are treating) like in this video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

Karyn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks Karyn, do you remember the mg per kg of bird weight?
Yes, the recommended dosing from Bayer, the maker of Baytril, is 20mg/kg QD (once a day), but 5.6mg of Baytril would be fine for a bird in the 250-375g range, for maintaining a therapeutic dose level in their system, with no problems.

Karyn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hes 200 kg, so 5.6 uncrushed chewable in his crop would be ok? (1/4 of a 22.7 chewable Baytril tab)

Thank you,
Edie

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
200 kilograms, wow, what a pigeon--he weighs over twice what I do!!!

Sorry, just had to do that because when we figure medications for these little guys, we have to be oh-so-precise or we'll kill the bird or not heal it. That said, you no-doubt meant to say "200 g" or 200 grams, which is 0.2 kg.

So... 0.2 kg X 20 mg/kg = 4 milligrams per day. Yes, 5.6 milligrams would be a slight overdose, but not that significant for that drug, just 40%. While that sounds significant, it kinda' does depend on the drug in question. When, for example, we're dealing with anti-epileptic drugs, we have to be a lot more precise, but not really here, you're good to go. If you wanted to try and cut the pill up into 5 somewhat-equal pieces, it would go further.
Pidgey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts