Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bird Lovers

I'm treating my Fantail doves water with Baytrill 10%, it's a preventative use not a treatment plan, my doves are ok health wise and my question is this,

how many days should I keep my doves in there loft so they can only drink the Baytrill treated water and I repeat the Baytrill use it only a preventative use not a treatment plan use

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You don't treat them with Baytril or any other antibiotic unless they are sick and that is the correct drug. You don't treat yourself with antibiotics just in case do you? When you give antibiotics, it kills both bad bacteria, and good gut bacteria. Then you need to give probiotics and help them to build the good gut bacteria back up again. That is what helps to keep them healthy. So actually, what you are doing, is killing off the good gut bacteria that keeps them healthy, and you will also help to build a resistance to the drug, so that if you ever do need to treat them for illness, it may not work. If they are healthy, leave them be and let their immune system keep them healthy. Don't damage the immune system for no reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.