Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad to say, I have been ordered by my co-op Board of Directors to stop feeding the pigeons from my balcony. It did not come unexpectedly. The pigeons never go to anyone elses balcony, they just don't like them. Period. :eek:I have a protective white plastic barrier around my balcony, so that none of the seed can fall down onto anyone elses balcony, and many times I have checked and there are no unusual amounts of droppings (some of the rails show LOTS of dirt, and have not been cleaned since god knows when, so it is not because they have been cleaning it. Anyway, I am glad there is a nearby park and I will feed them there. I tried to get them to follow me (they had not eaten here for over 24 hours, but they did not come. I am hoping they will recognize me sooner or later and come. Any comments??

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry. Do other pigeons go to this park? If so, maybe they will eventually join them. It's hard to just stop feeding them. You feel bad as you know they don't understand why you are no longer giving them food. How many pigeons had you been feeding? Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So sorry to hear this Lindylou.:(
Some people do not have private life and try to create excitement by messing with other people lives.
I believe that your feathered friends will find you soon in the park. The moment one of them finds you, all will come. I don’t know how pigeon telegraph works, but it is highly efficient.:)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Oh Lindylou, I am sorry that you have to go through this. I wish people wouldn't be so uncaring. I am very sure they will find YOU. Bless your heart.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about the neighbors, the birds will eventually find the seed at the park, just make sure it is a "pigeon friendly" park.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for your support and comfort, friends. I had an initial flock of 13 that did grow to about 40 at the end, so I can understand the telepathy thing, Plehemn! My original two birds, Danny and Baby, I will miss so much. He had the pmv virus and still has trouble competing for seed, and I would always put out a little more seed later (about 5:00 p.m.) and he would come by himself and enjoy it and a chat with me. He is the bird who was mated with Beloved (who was killed during a storm), and the pair I wrote the poem, "Ode To A Dove". It breaks my heart to think this may give him a "death sentence" by starvation. I went to the park today and fed the pigeons there but did not see any that I can definitely recognize as members of my flock. As I write, my "flock" of the original band of 12, who are still determined wait for me, are sitting on the roof of the building across from me, where they always wait for me, and my heart, as you can all imagine, is breaking. What angers me is we have a bulletin board where we can post any items of interest for other members to read, and I posted (3 times), items of interesting things about pigeons (21 interesting things about pigeons you may not know) and someone has taken it down all 3 times, even though we are encouraged to respect the date (LEAVE UP ONE WEEK) when it is written at the top of the posting. So, boys and girls, as we pigeon people possess a fighting spirit where our pigeons are concerned, may I cheer you all up a little bit by telling you that upon searching for pigeon pictures I managed to find one (humorous) that shows a picture of a pigeon reading a newspaper, with glasses on and an excited smile on his face. The front page of newspaper reads: HOW TO CRAP ON HUMANS so I printed it up and added thusly:" A MESSAGE FROM WALTER PIGEON: Whoever keeps pulling down all those interesting posted facts about us pigeons had better look up when you walk outside, cuz I'll be aimin' for ya!" Will keep you posted. Lol. In tribute to Danny and Beloved, I would like, once again, to run their poem. You can read it in Stories. I will always be a member of pigeon talk, my headquarters will just be moved, to the People Friendly Park (it is where people come, to feed pigeons, thank god!) L O L!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It breaks my heart reading your last post. I don't know what I would do, I think I would feed the pigeons still but thats me. It would take awhile for them to kick me out is what I would be thinking. Especially Danny, or maybe try to catch him so he wouldn't starve. But sometimes I interfer with wildlife when I shouldn't have something I'm trying not to do anymore. When I think I'm helping when actually I'm not. I just hate seeing something suffer. I hope they follow you and find you at the park. Especially in Canada, the winters are pretty hard there, they probably could use all the help they can get. I hope your neighbors get a life and live your life alone. mindy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has now been day 5 since I fed my pigeons from the balcony. I am employing some "covert" operations since I do not trust the understanding or sympathies of my fellow neighbours, and feel I must be very cautious about putting any seed down where they will observe me doing it. They will say that I am feeding the rats next, I suppose. I wait until after 10:00 p.m., take some seed and head out to a small, enclosed area away from traffic of people, that I know my pigeons can see from the adjacent rooftop where they come in the morning, and I put seed down in a straight line, and not too much, and they have found it! I will keep moving it a few feet everyday, away from that spot and closer to the park, where they will be able to see me, as it faces the opposite direction of the building rooftop where they perch.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well I certainly hope this works. How far is the park?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The park is very close, just on the OTHER side of the building that they roost on. It's a funny feeling having to steal around like a cat burglar in the night with a shopping bag of seed in order to feed these sweet, defenceless birds who don't deserve such prejudice aimed at them, eh?:eek::eek:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The park is very close, just on the OTHER side of the building that they roost on. It's a funny feeling having to steal around like a cat burglar in the night with a shopping bag of seed in order to feed these sweet, defenceless birds who don't deserve such prejudice aimed at them, eh?:eek::eek:
I agree. It's really great of you to care sooo much. They're actually very lucky birds to have you around to care for them. How's it going?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your recents threads made me smile. Good job and I hope it works. I'll be thinking of you at 10:00 sneaking around with bird seed. The things we do for animals that we love. I think its GREAT!! mindy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts